News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RHD 71-74 Chargers

Started by irish_in_ny, March 23, 2011, 11:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_in_ny

Did they exist? I have yet to see one or a photo of one. If they did make a RHD 3rd gen they must have came with only a slant 6 or 318 for expensive petrol prices in Ireland and other RHD countries. Anyone know the specs if these were actually made? Perhaps they might have made a RHD 4th gen Charger as well?

Cheers

irish_in_ny

aussiemuscle

afaik there never were any RHD models. Chrysler in australia made their own charger from the valiant body in RHD. that's about the only one i know of.

mikesbbody

I have seen 2 but they were not from the factory one was a 73, the other a 71 RT (real 6 pack car) which was converted in Australia, brought here (to New Zealand) and sadly destroyed in a high speed wreck. Had it been LHD, I would have been more bummed out about it. Converting cars from left to right (or vice versa if such a thing exists) is something you just DONT DO!!!  :Twocents:  :flame:
None were made by the Factory in RHD.

doctor4766

Yeah I'd agree.
No point in making RHD versions of low sellers. I mean, look at Chryslers current offerings. The Charger and Chally will probably never be made available RHD. Unlike the 300C, Avenger, Sebring, Jeeps and a whole bunch of other cars that are volume sellers.

Be interested to know if RHD cars get converted to LHD in the US.
Anybody?
Gotta love a '69

mikesbbody

"Be interested to know if RHD cars get converted to LHD in the US.
Anybody?"

Yes, I'd be interested to know that too and the Law's regarding RHD cars over there. I know the US P.O uses some RHD Vechiles and there's some Aussie Charger's there too haven't heard of any RHD-LHD converting going on over there though  :scratchchin: I forgot to mention, here in NZ there's a 73 Charger
When I saw it it was really nice! anyway it came in back in the early 70's and was converted to RHD.
When I saw it, it was LHD! so yes, things can be converted back IMO it shouldn't have been converted to RHD in the first place but they did a good job converting it back to LHD!

aussiemuscle

Quote from: mikesbbody on March 24, 2011, 12:20:43 AM
Converting cars from left to right (or vice versa if such a thing exists) is something you just DONT DO!!!
unfortunately it's something that's just too hard to get around in australia. the rules for modifying cars is now so stringent you either convert it or just use club rego, which restricts you to only driving it in club events only.

Darkman

Quote from: aussiemuscle on March 24, 2011, 08:20:58 PM
Converting cars from left to right (or vice versa if such a thing exists) is something you just DONT DO!!!
unfortunately it's something that's just too hard to get around in australia. the rules for modifying cars is now so stringent you either convert it or just use club rego, which restricts you to only driving it in club events only.

That is why I am converting mine. No point importing a car from the US just to have it on a trailer! The conversion I am doing costs $900AUD in parts (+ a new steering column if I chose to). This system is simple and only requires the steering column, pedal assembly and brake booster to be shifted and a few firewall holes to be closed. Most of the "cost" will be in my time relocating a few items and welding etc. The emergency brake will be relocated to a custom centre console so that it eliminates the foot pedal (which I was going to do regardless). The dash needed to be redone anyway, so the guages and materials for that won't count toward the conversion as that is part of the dash upgrade for my car. I have been criticised about doing, but at the end of the day, no one else will be driving the car but me...
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

TX9H6E4CUDA

Quote from: doctor4766 on March 24, 2011, 03:49:34 AM

Be interested to know if RHD cars get converted to LHD in the US.
Anybody?

nope every single one I've seen here is wrong side drive (just kidding). We don't have laws where cars need to be modified
For the best powder coating talk to Larry at JIT Powder Coating. Absolutely amazing service, awesome quality,amazing attention to detail. Give Larry a call at 651-463-4664
Thanks again Larry

mikesbbody

Quote from: Darkman on March 24, 2011, 09:50:15 PM

That is why I am converting mine. No point importing a car from the US just to have it on a trailer! The conversion I am doing costs $900AUD in parts (+ a new steering column if I chose to). This system is simple and only requires the steering column, pedal assembly and brake booster to be shifted and a few firewall holes to be closed. Most of the "cost" will be in my time relocating a few items and welding etc. The emergency brake will be relocated to a custom centre console so that it eliminates the foot pedal (which I was going to do regardless). The dash needed to be redone anyway, so the guages and materials for that won't count toward the conversion as that is part of the dash upgrade for my car. I have been criticised about doing, but at the end of the day, no one else will be driving the car but me...

While I don't agree with the laws you Guy's have to deal with it's the law either deal with it, or don't own the car that is why I feel that you guy's who have no other option but to convert must be really into it (owning a classic) to do such a thing I would not go through the process (time, money, etc) plus I just couldn't make myself do it. From my understanding you can now own a LHD car in Aus (depending on age) and in other states you must keep it stock or convert it? I think it if it has to be RHD, then why not own a Holden or Falcon yeah, I know not the same...

mikesbbody

This is what a 71 RT 6 pack Charger looks like after a high speed wreck! note the Wheel on the Right Hand side?

doctor4766

Seems that some of you live in the wrong state.
In Western Australia I have my LHD Charger fully registered with whatever mods I choose to have.
Gotta love a '69

rooks

Quote from: doctor4766 on March 25, 2011, 05:29:28 AM
Seems that some of you live in the wrong state.
In Western Australia I have my LHD Charger fully registered with whatever mods I choose to have.

Yep ... same here in NSW. Full Rego, no dramas.

South Australia's regulations are absolutely shocking. Thank heavens I don't live there.

Darkman

There are ways around getting my car registered and no inspection. Since I live in a rural town, I send in my paperwork, get the car registered and it's done. They will not drive 6 hours to inspect the car. In SA once it is registred it NEVER has to be inspected again (unless it is defected). But since I am going to convert it to RHD regardless of the registration laws, it won't matter.

I know the old saying "opinions are like asshole, everyone has one". Just because everyone has an asshole doesn't mean you need to be one about other peoples choices and cars

mikesbbody

When you say "inspection" I'm guessing you mean so kind of standard that the Australian "DMV" sets?
(road worthiness etc) how often do you have a inspection? once a year? twice? here in New Zealand, it's called a W.O.F (warrent of fitness) every 6 months and there are way's around that too (i.e passing with not so legal mods etc) it comes down to who you know  :icon_smile_big: as far as the RHD rule goes like I said to me it really does make you a Car Guy (IMO) if you are willing to go to such extremes.
I'm sure some of your fellow Aussie's wouldn't go through the trouble. I wasn't being a Asshole I just said I wouldn't do it myself.

doctor4766

Here in WA standard passenger cars don't have to have an annual inspection at all.(LHD or not)
It's only required if your vehicle gets a defect notice.
Gotta love a '69

mikesbbody

I'm like that rule  :2thumbs: here you can get Cowboy's at local Garages who will fail your car (just to get Business) or maybe they don't like you, or your car that's why it's good to know someone who works
In the Car Business who's into these car's and let's things "slide" (as long as they are not deemed "unsafe") over there, who issues the defect notices? (when you take your car to get fixed somewhere?) or maybe if you get pulled over by the Cops?

doctor4766

Defects are issued by the police if they pull you over and your car is deemed unsafe. Sometimes roadside inspections happen where random vehicles are checked too.
Gotta love a '69

mikesbbody

I see thanks for the info  :2thumbs: reminds me when I was in the states in 96, we hired a brand new car (3 liter V6 Chevy lumina) and drove it about 2000+ miles for 4 weeks! I had to return the car from Chicago to L.A by myself and there was a kind of check point I think? but they saw the car was new and just let me through  :lol: I don't think they have the kind of inspections in the US that they have here in NZ (for Road worthiness) you would see some real shockers on the road in the US the same in Thailand too!  :lol:

RallyeMike

Looks similar to this one
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

doctor4766

Gotta love a '69

Darkman

mikesbbody

::) :lol: :lol: so i guess 2 identical 71 RT's got wrecked? 1 RHD, the other LHD what are the odds?  :lol:

irish_in_ny

Also, on a side note. What countries were the 3rd gen Chargers sold in at dealerships aside from the USA, Canada, and Mexico? Also, did they come with unique packages for these export models?

JohnnyBee

I found this one in 2005 with a right hand drive conversion in Perth, Australia