News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do these 10* valve locks/keepers look right?

Started by oldcarnut, March 13, 2011, 12:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

Just getting around to make sure I got most of my things bought for my build and gave the stealth heads a look over.  I had the seats checked and 10* locks and keepers installed and was wondering why the gap in them varies like shown in the pics.  Notice one looked like they met at the halfs in the left side upper pic and the others larger gap. Is this normal for the gap sizes?  Heres a couple pics of 4 valve assys.  

oldcarnut

:shruggy:  Anybody notice that changed them out in their heads?

greenpigs

When I switched valves on my stock keepers there was not a gap between them. Doesn't look right to me but what do I know.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

oldcarnut

Maybe I'm being a little paranoid but I haven't dealt with this kind of build before so I question almost everything if everything is not the same.  Just want to have to put it togethor only once.  Thanks for the reply.

frederick

Doesn't look right to me, are you sure they are installed correctly, could be some are not seated properly in the groove.
Are the top of the retainers all at the same height?

firefighter3931

I'd want them all the same with no gap. I'm wondering if there was a packaging issue with those keepers ?  :scratchchin:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

oldcarnut

There was only one out of all that met. The height range from 150-200um .059-.079" using a dial ind. from valve stem to retainer.  The comp cam numbers were 613-16 & 741-16 .   So how do I check these out to see if the parts were mixed up at the packing, machine shop error, etc.?   Took a couple of side view pics.  Sent a link to the comp techs to see what they say.

frederick

You can see the retainer sitting lower on the valve lock in the first picture.
0.020"/0.5mm difference is too much.

Have you tried taking that one apart and reinstalling it?

oldcarnut

I'll rent the removal tool next day or two and check one (worst) of them to see what happens.   I know sometimes I ask some maybe seeming stupid questions but I appreciate the help and patience from you guys  :2thumbs:.  

On a side note, this is what the comp cam tech rep wrote me after seeing this thread.
"I looked at your pictures and I see the gap between the locks. This gap is supposed to be there. The wedge shape of the lock is what holds the retainer in place and that open space is caused by the bottom of the lock clamping down on the valve stem.  Your setup looks good to me.
Let me know if you have more questions"

oldcarnut

Quote from: frederick on March 14, 2011, 03:51:25 PM

Today I took one apart for look.  Appears that the locks fit snug around the stem and have the gap.  Maybe its a matter of machine tolerances on the retainers/locks angles as far as the height differences  :shruggy:

greenpigs

Quote from: frederick on March 14, 2011, 03:51:25 PM

I see it also, is there a way to check and make sure all the locks are the same(10*) or would it not even fit if 7*?

Did you tap them with a rubber hammer just to make sure they are seated?

Were there any burs on the keepers? that could keep it from seating correctly.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

frederick

Hmm, in those last two pictures it looks like you've got 2 different locks.
The one on the left has a chamfer on the top edge?
What happens when you take one of the other lock halves and swap it out with that one, gap gone?
Or if you put that one on another valves, got a gap then?

Cheers,

Frederick

oldcarnut

I'll take another look Sun.  Going to Myrtle Beach today for weekend car show to take a break  :icon_smile_big:

chargerbr549

I would tap on the valve stem tips with a hammer and make sure the locks are seated, the 10 degree locks sometimes are a little stubborn in getting them to seat right when checking installed height and the final going together with springs.

Kevin

firefighter3931

The one pictured above didn't look fully seated as mentioned which will affect the installed height.  :scope:

Quote from: chargerbr549 on March 18, 2011, 07:43:40 AM
I would tap on the valve stem tips with a hammer and make sure the locks are seated, the 10 degree locks sometimes are a little stubborn in getting them to seat right when checking installed height and the final going together with springs.

Kevin

Good advice  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

oldcarnut

Took some side pics with the valve and retainers removed.  They look to sit right in there and half's aren't fiscally able to touch unless the valve stem was ground too small.  The lock step and valve dia both fit to the stem so I guess the gap has to be there.  Did the hammer bounce on all for a little better seating check.  The half's measure the same bottom to top although the champhers appear to vary on few maybe from a different tooling run of half's but size wise same.