News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My engine sucks.... Wanna guess how much?

Started by Kern Dog, March 18, 2011, 02:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I was curious about other members engine combinations and the IDLE VACUUM numbers they have. I have a 440 with the 4.15 stroke Eagle crank, 10.8 to 1 squeeze, Edelbrock heads and RPM intake, Barry Grant Speed Demon 850 carb with 83/93 jets and a 3.5 PV, 2" TTI headers and a Mopar '509 cam. This engine may be UNDER cammed, but thats another issue.
I was checking the Holley website and they suggest to take the vacuum number with the engine idling in gear, and use a power valve that is HALF of the vacuum number. My engine wasn't fully warmed up and the motor was still a little choppy, and I saw a reading of 7 inches of vacuum. Seems low to me. If its accurate, I have the right power valve in there already.  I'm going to recheck later with the engine up to operating temperature.
My question again: Whats your combo and vacuum numbers? Thanks.

FLG

Cant tell you much about other things, but i have never heard good things about demon carbs and the fact there out of business seems to validate that.

elacruze

My old 440 with .509 cam (advanced 4*) idled at about 12" with 18* base timing and MP M1 single plane manifold. With the old CH4B it was about 14".
Check your rocker arm adjustment (or pushrod length for non-adj.) If you're too tight it will show up as low idle vacuum and hard starting.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Kern Dog

I havent had the chance to retest the motor. Heres the car though...

BSB67

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on March 19, 2011, 10:30:19 PM
I havent had the chance to retest the motor. Heres the car though...

Man that looks nice!

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

firefighter3931

Was the cam degreed in ? If so waht is the installed centerline ?

That vaccum seems low for a 493 with that cam  :scratchchin:

I'd bump the base timing up to 20* and see what the vaccum reading looks like. It might want even more but you'll have to test and see what it likes.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Kern Dog

I had the cam degreed in when I first built the motor in 2004. Set to straight up, it degreed at 1.5 degrees REtarded. The 4 degree advance setting actually put it 4 degrees ahead.
The motor was pulled apart, honed and put back together recently. I put the cam back in straight up. I want to work on it but I threw my back out on Thursday! Motrin and Vicodin are helping. I hope to have something to report soon.
I agree that the vacuum numbers I had seem low. I need to retest with the engine up to temp. I usually have the initial timing set to 17 degrees adv.