News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I'm having a hard time getting excited about the MSD 6AL box. Street Fire?

Started by bull, March 17, 2011, 12:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

They're too big, too red, too much of a PITA to mount it seems to me. Of course I like the idea of the built in rev limiter in my 4 speed Charger but I have to wonder if I really need that if I'm not racing. The more I look at the orange and chrome MP ignition controllers, and the fact that they're $150-$180 less, the more I'm leaning in that direction.

So why should I choose the big MSD red box over one of the MP ignition controllers?

Charger-Bodie

Miss a shift and bend some push rods.....Then you will be exited. I know I was,Had a 6al ever since.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on March 17, 2011, 01:00:10 PM
Miss a shift and bend some push rods.....Then you will be exited. I know I was,Had a 6al ever since.

Ok, so does anyone make a seperate rev limiter unit other than MSD (for use with an MSD box)? Would it be easier to hide two small devices rather than one large one?

Charger-Bodie

Ive heard rumor lately that they do make a stand alone rev limiter. That being true I would be fine with that but Im not sure if thats fact or not.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Rolling_Thunder

The MSD 6AL2 is a LOT smaller than the old box -  has a rev limiter - is digital -   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Troy

MSD makes a stand-alone rev limiter that works with factory electronic ignition. I'll be purchasing several since everything I have has a 4-speed now.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8728/

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

I wonder how this works with the M&H EI harness now that I think about it? Without all the componants I'm not able to mock it up so how would you plug in a seperate rev limiter?

Plus, by the time you buy a $115 rev limiter and a $64 MP ignition control you're at $180 vs. $205 for a 6AL. Oh well.

Troy

Here are the instructions.
http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedfiles/MSDIgnitioncom/Products/RPM_Timing_Controls/8728_instructions.pdf

Looks like it just runs inline between the control module and coil. You can use it with points as well.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

:2thumbs:

I assume the MP ignition controller is inductive, not a capacitive setup like the 6AL? Apparently you can only run that Soft Touch Rev Control with an inductive style ignition system.

bull

So what about this thing I found at Autozone today for $150? http://street-fire.com/cdiignition.html

Steve P.

I have not had an old mopar on the road in years now, but I still remember the crappy orange and chrome units letting go. MSD for me.....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Cooter

MSD is no harder to mount than any other ignition box. I've found it mounts very easily underneath the battery tray and is a stand alone system so if you need to wire in a seperate system to run in case of emergency, you can, Like the Mopar box...just unplug one unit and plug up the other...I have buddies that do this all the time..

MSD 6AL box is what electronic ignition was to the old school "Points forever" guys back in the day...Most just hate it because everybody runs it...I personally have never had an issue with The control box, but anything is possible. (I have it on a total of 5 cars.)

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

firefighter3931

Just put it inside the cab....outta sight, outta mind.  ;)

I have my 6al mounted on the heater box under the dash.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

tatrick2me

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on March 17, 2011, 01:18:24 PM
Ive heard rumor lately that they do make a stand alone rev limiter. That being true I would be fine with that but Im not sure if thats fact or not.
Its fact Summit Raceing has a slew of them.
PerTronix 600 - PerTronix Digital Rev Limiters
View Image and Compare

* PerTronix 600 - PerTronix Digital Rev Limiters
    * Compare

Rev Limiter, Digital, Adjustable, Knob-Style, Each

Part Number: PNX-600 More Detail ...

Estimated Ship Date: Tomorrow
Transaction

* $139.95
Bone 7

flyinlow

I have a Street Fire MSD. Seams to work fine. Screwdriver adjustable rev limiter.

bull

Quote from: flyinlow on March 17, 2011, 09:28:19 PM
I have a Street Fire MSD. Seams to work fine. Screwdriver adjustable rev limiter.

Finally. :2thumbs: Someone noticed that I bought one today.

What RPM is yours set at?

firefighter3931

Quote from: bull on March 17, 2011, 09:58:51 PM

In your previous post you said that you found the streetfire box at Autozone....but said nothing about buying it  :nana:

Looks like a descent unit to me  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

bull

Quote from: firefighter3931 on March 18, 2011, 10:14:47 AM
Quote from: bull on March 17, 2011, 09:58:51 PM

In your previous post you said that you found the streetfire box at Autozone....but said nothing about buying it  :nana:

Looks like a descent unit to me  :2thumbs:

Ron

I like the fact that it's made in the USA. :2thumbs: When do you see that anymore? I wonder now, is all MSD stuff made in the USA?

charger490

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mallory/650/685/10002/-1
i have this one in the charger and have the box in the glove compartment . it makes it easy to chage things

bull

I was reading about one of the MSD boxes and they said you're not supposed to mount it in the glovebox. I forget the reason why...

Charger-Bodie

Here is where I put my 6al Curtis. Its really pretty easy to get to. I used the supplied rubber insulators to mount it and a nice grommet to run the wires through.

bull

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on March 18, 2011, 01:46:55 PM
Here is where I put my 6al Curtis. Its really pretty easy to get to. I used the supplied rubber insulators to mount it and a nice grommet to run the wires through.

Ok, I stared at that picture for about 30 seconds before I figured out what area I was seeing.

flyinlow

[Finally. :2thumbs: Someone noticed that I bought one today.

What RPM is yours set at?
[/quote]

Limter set at 6400 rpm. It seams to start limiting about 200 -400 below the set point . I have an A518 Trans that shifts about 5200-5400 in drive. I don't like to go past 6000 rpm. Just a cruiser with a mild 446.

Craig

b5blue

I'm swearing by FBO's A688 kit with a curved dizzy from Don. Best bang for the buck, having vacuum advance set and working nice really picked up my bottom end power and a good jump in mileage also. May not match MSD on race day for heavy modified engines like Ron's but for my daily driver it's great. www.4secondsflat.com    

PA Dodger

And then this shows up in the latest MCG. Just another option for something you already bought...and a direct upgrade for what you probably already have. :icon_smile_big:

http://www.thertgarage.com/products.html
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: PA Dodger on March 18, 2011, 09:20:02 PM
And then this shows up in the latest MCG. Just another option for something you already bought...and a direct upgrade for what you probably already have. :icon_smile_big:

http://www.thertgarage.com/products.html

That is VERY cool!

bull

Charger-Bodie

Do kinda wonder if its a soft touch rev-limiter or not though.

bull

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on March 19, 2011, 12:21:12 AM
Do kinda wonder if its a soft touch rev-limiter or not though.

Mine or this other one? I've been wondering that about mine because it doesn't say soft touch on it and that's usually a big bragging point.

bull

I talked to MSD today (was routed there through Street Fire's contact info) and they said all the MSD boxes are soft touch, including the Street Fire.