News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 Crate Engine

Started by jasonjb75, March 16, 2011, 08:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonjb75

Once I got the 383 out of the car and tore down I finally saw a crack in the block between cylinders 6 and 4.  So much for trying to keep the numbers matching engine in it.

So this I am sure is going to lead me down yet another path I have no idea about.  I wanted to start looking for a 440 crate engine so I was wondering if there are any suggested people to talk to or places to stay away from.

Jason
1969 Dodge Charger - 383HP w/ 4-Speed

Cooter

Is there any way you can have the numbers block repaired? Welded? Sleeved? Something? i find it hard to believe there's Nothing that can be done....

However, there are numerous places to check with on a 440 engine. Hughes engines, Midwest Mopar, Indy Cyilnder head-(cust. service kinda sucks), McCandless Performance, etc..Go to Moparmusclemagazine.com and check out the engine build challenge under BB 440 engines...They made some impressive numbers with "only" 440 C.I.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Troy

Muscle Motors has some very nice crates.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

femtnmax

Quote from: Cooter on March 16, 2011, 09:15:10 PM
Is there any way you can have the numbers block repaired? Welded? Sleeved? Something? i find it hard to believe there's Nothing that can be done....
I agree.  Cast iron can be cold welded.  You could try it yourself...nothing to loose. Drill a hole at each end of the crack, then v-notch the entire crack.   Cold welding means let each weld cool before applying the next.  So start by placing a round weld 'spot' at center of crack.  Do not run a bead, just one heavy tackweld.   THEN wait until the weld is DEAD COLD, this is cold welding.   Then apply one more 'spot' between first spot and end of weld/drill hole.  Continue one spot at a time until weld is complete.  Read up on cold welding cast iron.
If not do it yourself, look around, ask around.  Do some internet searches...I'll bet someone out there can repair your block.
Look into oil well fabricators, heavy equipment repair shops, etc...find one that can provide references.
Phil

matrout76

Anyone have any experience with Marshall remanufactured engines from Napa?

My 69 Charger came with a brand new 440 long block still on the skid and wrapped in plastic with the gaskets.  i need to get the numbers off the block and heads to see what the core came from, but my plans are new pistons (6-pack style) and cam to up the performance but keep the reliability. 

any thoughts, or should i start a new thread?

thanks!
Matt

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: Troy on March 17, 2011, 09:43:47 AM
Muscle Motors has some very nice crates.

Troy

I agree 100%!  :2thumbs:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

sixty8charger

i have heard good things about Jasper engines.  My uncle used to get them all the time for customers. Never heard any issues.
Jayson

Cooter

Quote from: sixty8charger on March 23, 2011, 06:23:41 AM
i have heard good things about Jasper engines.  My uncle used to get them all the time for customers. Never heard any issues.

As long as you want a stock replacement engine with a warranty, but if it's a 440 Chrysler BB, you better have a core and they just build yours to how you want it built....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

68blue

Had the origional 383 in my 68 rebuilt by Jasper along with the 727, they did a very good job although we had to replace more parts than I thought. The  heads cracked when the valve seat work was being done.