News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another DMV insanity story

Started by ChgrSteve67, March 15, 2011, 08:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChgrSteve67

Back at the beginning of December I bought a new car and traded in my old daily driver. I took the personalized plates off my old car.

In January the plates for the new car showed up and I went down to my local AAA office to have my personalized plates transferred to my new car.

(AAA has people that are trained by DMV and have access to the computer system so they can do  basic transactions so you don't have to wait in line forever at DMV) Sounds like a good thing hu?  This will be the first time I have ever tried using AAA to do DMV work and probably my last.

So I get my plates transferred to my new car but since they are 20+ years old they are beat up pretty good so I ask if I can get replacement plates made. No problem, $44 bucks and they will make me new ones.

A few days ago I got a call that my plates have arrived, yesterday I picked them up and realized I have a big problem on my hands. For some reason the person at AAA decided to put a half space between the letters in my plates.

So instead of my plate reading "HVAGDTM" it reads "HVAGD TM"

I ask them why my plates were changed she tells me that they are required to insert a half space in plates that contain 7 letters.  WHAT??????????????

A ask why is that? She said she did not know but they are required to do so. Buy who? She says DMV.
And if I want if fixed I have to go to DMV to have it changed.

I then ask to have my old plates back and she said she can not give them back to me since I have surrendered them and took posesion of the new plates. I had to hand her the old plates before I was allowed to inspect the new plates. I can't tell you how mad I was when I walked out of the AAA office.

So today I go to DMV (God please be kind) and explain my problem. So of course I get the answers I expect to hear.

1. DMV tells me that AAA is not required to insert a half space in the plate and they do not know why they did.

2. DMV tells me the person at AAA does not have the ability to change the configuration of a license plate without deleting it from the system. I point to the plate and tell them AAA must know something they don't because there it is.

3. I have to fill out new paperwork and request my personalized plate be replaced again.

So here is the next kicker......
My request has to be reviewed by the corporate office and they will make a decision on weather or not they will allow my plate configuration to be changed and the space removed or if I have to live with the half space in my plate. This will take 3 to 5 days.
If they allow my plate to be reconfigured my car will have to be deleted from the system and re-enter it over again.

I tell them to do what they have to do, just get rid of the space.

They then tell me I'm done and I can go. I ask them for the plates and they tell me they have to keep them since I want them redone, so I ask, what about when I come back down and you ask me to surender the plates the new ones are replacing? They said that won't be a problem. yeah right I've heard that before. I then ask, what if I get stopped my the police? I have registration but no plates? Light bulb goes on and they say, yeah we better give you a temp registration card for the window. I get the card and leave.

Here comes the icing on the cake.
30 minutes later AAA (the people that screwed this up to begin with) call me on the phone.
They tell me they are sorry my plates did not come out correctly and that if I want I can bring them back the plates and they will resubmit the paper work and have new ones made with the half space removed from the plates.

AYFKM

I told them I just spent the last hour at DMV trying to get this fixed, there reply, she was glad to hear I'm getting the problem resolved and to have a nice day.

-Steve

Dans 68

I have had good experiences at the AAA office with regards to DMV chores. Sorry to hear you got a lemon for assistance.  :rotz:  The next time don't leave until they show you they know what they are talking about.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

TK73

AAA doing some kind of Advanced Alcoholics Anonymous training? 

Put an infinite amount of drunk monkeys on an infinite amount of typewriters and they might get your plate right?
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

bull

Job security. Were it not for human ineptitude on the part of at least half the people in this world the other half wouldn't have nearly enough work to keep busy.

TK73

Quote from: bull on March 15, 2011, 09:23:56 PM
Job security. Were it not for human ineptitude on the part of at least half the people in this world the other half wouldn't have nearly enough work to keep busy.

Seems that will keep me in govt work up to my nose for the rest of my life...
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

68X426

Steve, it's time we move to Nevada !!!!!!!

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

satellite plumah

another trip to the RMV,sounds like something youd expect around here too...can I ask what it means or am I just not seeing it?  good luck with the outcome.

PocketThunder

"HVAGDTM"

Have a good Time?   :scratchchin:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

b5blue

I did title and renewal work in 20 min. last week, but the guy and I bullshitted for a few min also.     :nana:

ChgrSteve67

I should be depressed
My life's a mess
But I'm having a good time

Have a good time

-Paul Simon

Old Moparz

Quote from: PocketThunder on March 16, 2011, 08:19:33 AM
"HVAGDTM"

Have a good Time?   :scratchchin:

I thought it might have been hunting related....

Hunting
Venison
And
Getting
Drunk
To
Morrow
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

ChgrSteve67

Closer to this

Hunting