News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

will my unsilenced air cleaner be to restrictive?

Started by drifter69, May 29, 2011, 01:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drifter69

I really like my unsilenced air cleaner with the 440 call out dish on top, but I will be putting in a 493 ci stroker with a Quick Fuel 850 on top of it. Is this going to be to restrictive for the stroker. Any thoughts? I really want to keep the stock look if I can. Thanks.

Charger-Bodie

My black 68 Had a 493 with a eddy rpm and a proform 950 . I used the F..d Motorsport drop base with a factory unsilenced top. It seemed to be fine to me. Ran like a scalded dog infact. I guess if you were going to hit the tarch occationally you could get a flow top to switch back and forth.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

morepower

Yeah you can always run two air cleaners. One for shows which would be what you like. And then a more optimal one for the track air rush!
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

471_Magnum

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on May 29, 2011, 01:38:51 PM
My black 68 Had a 493 with a eddy rpm and a proform 950 . I used the F..d Motorsport drop base with a factory unsilenced top. It seemed to be fine to me. Ran like a scalded dog infact. I guess if you were going to hit the tarch occationally you could get a flow top to switch back and forth.

If you run a carb with a choke horn, your clearance to the top of the air cleaner gets pretty tight. I tried this on my Charger way back when and wasn't comfortable with the clearance on my choke equipped Holley.

With the factory air cleaner base, I would not think it would be restrictive. Hood clearance can get pretty tight though depending on your intake choice.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

drifter69

So........has anyone out there ran the combo I have mentioned and seen any results of lack of air. I am not running at the track "car will not be set up to" but would like to open it up from time to time. I was looking at the flow tops and I even thought about buying a taller filter just to open the circumfrence of the filter up some, but I don't know if that would fit under the hood. Thanks for the input guys just wondering if anyone eles here has experimented with this also.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: drifter69 on June 03, 2011, 05:55:03 PM
So........has anyone out there ran the combo I have mentioned and seen any results of lack of air. I am not running at the track "car will not be set up to" but would like to open it up from time to time. I was looking at the flow tops and I even thought about buying a taller filter just to open the circumfrence of the filter up some, but I don't know if that would fit under the hood. Thanks for the input guys just wondering if anyone eles here has experimented with this also.

I never had any problems with my set up .....Could it have run even better with more air? Very posible,but It ran awesome the way it was.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

drifter69

drifter69

Thanks 1hotdaytona, I do not really want to be switching out air filters. I just want to go. I think you answered it for me with your experience. Thanks

Ghoste

No question that the factory lid would be restrictive in my opinion BUT with the driving conditions you are indicating, I doubt very much you'll ever notice.  If you were taking it to the strip and wanted to extract every hundredth from the car, then you would have to open it up.  It's like an athlete with a paint mask on.  He could go much further and more quickly than many when out for a jog but if he were trying to set a record at the Olympics...

Personally, I don't think you need to worry about it.

Roger 68 charger

68 charger RT 505"
70 cuda
99 Durango

drifter69

I have never run that air cleaner,but I have seen that cleaner for years now on the market and I know a few people that run it. It seems like more of a dress up cleaner to me than a strickly performance cleaner. I think they look silly on a big block because they tend to be small looking, but that's just my  :Twocents:.

johnnycharger

I would stear clear of that filter. I had one about ten years ago and some dumb mechanic stomped on the gas before starting it. Result: Carb fart and melted foam running down in the carb.

69 OUR/TEA

drifter69,here is a good answer for you.I went to a track rental on friday and a friend who races a 66 coronet asked me to bring my stock unsilenced air cleaner from my charger with me for him to try,he wanted to see how much it restricts as maybe he will put one on his car for more of a stock appearing look.
His car has a pretty decent 440 and runs 1.59 60'-11.39 @116 mph with it.After making his best runs,he put on my aircleaner(purolator paper filter and all),and to his and my suprise the car only slowed down to 1.61 60'- 11.50 @115 mph.
There you go,unless you're racing the car at the track and trying to squeeze every tenth out of it,they work fine.He wants to get a KN filter to fit under the fact lid and try with that next.

Back N Black

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on June 03, 2011, 06:37:05 PM
Quote from: drifter69 on June 03, 2011, 05:55:03 PM

I never had any problems with my set up .....Could it have run even better with more air? Very posible,but It ran awesome the way it was.
I'm running the same setup as Brian and no problems, i'm using a KN filter. On the Dyno we tried stock air cleaner and K&N filter top and it picked up 8 hp, no big deal.

drifter69

Thanks guys, I am going to run factory equipment then. That's what I was hoping the results would be............Fly Low Brothers.......Drifter.

morepower

Got your answer. and Deffinately steer clear of that edelbrock filter, one backfire and its gone up in flames and smoke.
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

HPP

Quote from: morepower on June 12, 2011, 07:41:49 PM
Got your answer. and Deffinately steer clear of that edelbrock filter, one backfire and its gone up in flames and smoke.

Aint that the truth. I can't tell you how many of my high school buddies burned those down after a carb backfire.

FWIW, the baseplate on the stock mopar air cleaner is actually very functional. The raised lip around the inner circumference works on the same principal as the moroso drop base units, it allows the air a slight rise to get a straighter shot at the venturi when compared to most flat base units.