News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake Light

Started by BubbaDuke, March 01, 2011, 08:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbaDuke

My driver side brake light stopped working, I replaced the bulbs and still nothing.  I tried an experiment and I tied the driver side into the passengers brake lights and they work, but now I can't use my blinkers cause of them being crossed.  So I tested the harness for the lights and I only have power to the passenger lights.  I traced all the wires that go to my turn signal switch, and they all look good.  So my question I guess would the turn signal switch be the problem, or is there something im over looking.  I thought at first it was the brake switch but if that goes out then neither of my brake lights should work.   :brickwall:
Thanks
Lets Ride....

Charger RT

yes it can be the turn signal switch. you are correct that if the brake light switch was bad neither side would work. The brake light switch feeds the brake light feed to the turn signal switch. If the turn signal works in the rear of the side that the brake light does not work it is most likley the turn signal switch. The brake light and the turn signals use the same filiment in the bulb. The turn signal switch deturmines what works.
Tim

TylerCharger69

I had the same problem...turn signal switch   :yesnod:

BubbaDuke

Thanks Charger RT for the reply.  Would you happen to know how that set up works.  My tail lights, blinkers work on both sides, its just that dang brake light.  My diagram shows that they feed off the same wire, so why wouldn't it work?
Lets Ride....

BubbaDuke

Thanks Tyler.  I guess that will be one more new part i'll have to get for my car.  Is that your car in your pic?  If so, sweet and you have great taste. :icon_smile_cool:
Lets Ride....

Charger RT

if the turn signal works on the side the brake light is not working that confirms the bulb, socket and wire is good from the light to the turn signal switch. The turn signal and brake light share the same filiment in the bulb. These old wiring diagrams suck. The only thing I am not 100% on is with the 4 way flasher switch seperate from the turn signals how that comes into play. On a newer car these 2 switches are combined into one switch so both get replaced together. But I would still suspect the turn signal switch.
Tim

nvrbdn

same prob here and it was the turn sig switch :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

BubbaDuke

Thanks everyone.  Know since some of you have replaced it before, is there a trick in removing the switch.  I have the steering wheel off and I see the switch.  I removed the 3 screws that holds on a thin piece of metal and the screw that holds on the turn signal "arm", but it still wont come off.  Is there other screws or is it just something I have to give a good tug on.  Thanks again....
Lets Ride....

rob69

Have exact same problem, every light works except for driver side brakes :brickwall:
wish I read this tread before I spent all Sunday yelling at my kid to hit the brake pedal while I played with the wiring.
Now that you guys solved my problem, where do you recommend I get a turn signal switch, it looks like they are about $100. Is that right?
Rob
"..up from the ashes, grow the roses of success"

BubbaDuke

I found a couple on ebay.   They range from $80 to about $110
Lets Ride....