News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Towing question

Started by BananaDan, March 13, 2011, 02:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BananaDan

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty automatic with the 3.7 liter V-6 engine.  It has a rated towing capacity of 5,000 pounds.  My 70 Charger R/T weighs ~3,600 pounds according to published specs.  Add trailer weight to that (unknown - where I need the input), should I be ok here? 

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

rt green

i would be afraid of the short wheelbase
third string oil changer

NHCharger

Depends on the type of trailer. Wood deck, open deck, enclosed? My 18' wood deck weighs 1200-1400 lbs. That's probably a good average for you to go by. You would be close to your limit. As mentioned above Liberty's have a short wheel base. How far are you towing? Does the trailer have brakes?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

64dartgt

I wouldn't recommend it.  I towed my 73 back on a Uhaul flat bed with my 2006 Tundra double cab with a 4.7L and it certainly wasn't effortless.  I left it out of overdrive on purpose, but it was still a workout getting up some of the long hills I took it up.  Not really straining and it was okay on the highway, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it for your Jeep.  :eek2:

400/6/PAC

I agree
I would not tow that much weight with a short wheel base.

69 OUR/TEA

Even the cheap 16' Econo  Trailor brand still weighs 1,500lbs.You're already at/and maybe over you tow capacity.I geuss what I have to ask you is,do you have full coverage on the Liberty,and .....how nice is the Charger? :D

Troy

You sure that R/T weighs 3,600 pound? Sounds light - by at least a couple hundred pounds. My "open pit" steel trailer weighs in at 1,550 pounds and it's pretty light compared to everything else I looked at. I never tow anything at/near the max capacity of my tow vehicle - but I know people who have without incident. What's the capacity if you use a weight-distributing hitch? I picked one up (with anti-sway capability as well) for my Tahoe and it made a world of difference. I'd definitely make sure the trailer had good brakes since taking off isn't nearly as important as being able to stop (and I doubt the Liberty has the brakes to stop all that weight alone). I've towed big block Chargers behind several vehicles and you definitely know they are there (except with my Cummins dually where I was barely over 1/4 capacity).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

A383Wing

Quote from: BananaDan on March 13, 2011, 02:43:22 PM
I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty automatic with the 3.7 liter V-6 engine.  It has a rated towing capacity of 5,000 pounds.  My 70 Charger R/T weighs ~3,600 pounds according to published specs.  Add trailer weight to that (unknown - where I need the input), should I be ok here? 

Dan

no...I would not do it....to small of tow vehicle, yer gonna over work the trans...and the Liberty's brakes will not last long...they are undersize as is.

ain't the 5,000 pound capacity include the tow vehicle as well?

NHCharger

I double checked my trailer weight. 1800 lbs.+
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

BananaDan

Thanks guys.  It is for my trip to Carlisle, which is 171 miles from my house.  The Charger is fresh off restoration and I'm redoing the interior and dash/rear wiring now.  Normally I would have no issues driving her, but my concern is that when I finish her she'll be done at most 1-2 months before Carlisle (if I hit my dates, which I may not).  I'm nervous that she won't be fully road tested and have all gremlins/bugs worked out for a trip of that distance and I'd hate to be stranded in Carlisle or somewhere along the way with her.  I guess I'll either have to get done on time and sufficiently road test her to drive the trip myself, or rent/borrow a bigger truck to tow her.  I would be renting an open trailer, and my mechanic says that all rental trailers that have double-axle have brakes in them these days.

Dan

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Chris G.

I used an open trailer with my 1500 and it got the job done. I know people have used Dakota's and smaller trucks, but my 1500 is about as low as I would go. Plus we had about 300lbs of beer in the bed, so that didn't help.  :D

Call Trailer Outlet http://www.traileroutlet.com/ That's where I got my rental. Good trailers and staff. No hassles, expect you could show up there just before closing and they will still charge you for that day.  :RantExplode:

Chris G.

Oh and don't let Bill manipulate you. He will have you buying enclosed trailers and not letting you roll your windows down at the show. You saw how he got when I smacked my hand on my roof.  :smilielol:

Just kidding Bill.  :nana:

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: rt green on March 13, 2011, 02:48:35 PM
i would be afraid of the short wheelbase

sorry my ignorance, but what it has to do the wheelbase on this ? :shruggy:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

ACUDANUT

Stability and weight of the the towing vehicle...Never tow a larger than you have.   :Twocents:

Troy

Also, short wheel base tow vehicles are more prone to "sway". A longer wheel base will keep the trailer from steering the tow vehicle (instead of the other way around). There was a massive difference when towing with my Cummins Ram vs the Tahoe. I'm sure part of that was the additional 2,000 pounds of overall weight and the super stiff rear springs but the extra 2-3 feet of wheel base didn't hurt!

Troy

BananaDan

I guess it's time to get a Lil' Red Express truck, which I've always had my eye on...

:2thumbs:

Dan

BananaDan

Would a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a V-8 rated at tow capacity of 7,400 pounds be do-able?  Or are we talking something even bigger like a Tahoe/Suburban or a 1500 pickup?

TeeWJay426

Even with a Grand Cherokee you're still having to deal with that wheelbase issue. I towed an engineless 70 R/T for a friend several years ago with a full size Blazer, and at times it was still a sphincter puckering ordeal. Even a Lil Red Express has a pretty short wheelbase- better off with a full length truck, even if it's only a half ton. An open trailer with a 70 R/T aboard is still in the neighborhood of 5500 pounds, easy.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

BananaDan

Ok then, I have a friend with a big pickup and another with an Escalade.  Looks like it will be one of those, as I don't want to have to rent a truck and a trailer, that would suck.  Or, I get her ready, cross my fingers and drive her out there.

Dan

Troy

Drive it! I've only trailered a car once to Carlisle - and I live in Ohio! I can put 171 miles on mine on a normal Friday night.

Troy

BananaDan

Troy,
Normally I would.  My only concern is the fact that she'll  just be finished being put back together (with a lot of new wiring) about a month before Carlisle and I'm nervous about not having all of the bugs and gremlins worked out...

Dan

Troy

Have someone follow with the truck and trailer "just in case". :P Better to have a problem with the car than to have a problem with the truck which results in damage to the truck, trailer, and car! Or buy AAA Plus which gets you towed at least 100 miles for free. Also, there are plenty of people who will stop to help if you have issues (or even haul you around in their trailer).

If you just aren't comfortable with driving it then at least make sure you have a proper truck/tow vehicle. I used to rent trailers from a trailer sales company and they were very nice - definitely better than U-haul or Ryder (but also heavier). It may be possible to rent a truck with a hitch as well. I know guys flying in for meetings here at work pick up F150s and Silverados regularly.

Troy

BananaDan

I'm not nervous about driving her, and I don't intend to make her a trailer queen.  It's just nervousness for this year surrounding the fact that she'll be just out of resto and making sure I've chased all gremlins before I leave the state.  I will be carpooling with some other Mopar buddies so I will be surrounded with support vehicles.  :)  I think I'm ok.  F it.  Trial by fire, I'm driving her!

Dan

Khyron

I towed my Charger with a chevy Colorado.....

Charger, Truck, and trailer ended up in a ditch.

you are getting good advice, dont tow it with the jeep.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

BananaDan

I know, and I won't.

Thanks,
Dan