News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil Pump Priming Rod

Started by FARMER, March 17, 2011, 05:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FARMER

I am new at this, stupid questions, better to ask than fix. I'm learning.
I have a 1969 mopar 318 v8 engine. Completely rebuilt. They suggest to prime the oil pump before starting.
I pulled the distributer out, I only see a gear and in the middle, a slot inside the gear where the distributer engages.
I bought a new priming rod tool to run the oil pump. This is what the auto store got me. The priming rod is just hexed on the end. How does the rod get to the oil pump? I thought you go thru the distributer opening?
I can't see where to attach the rod, maybe its the wrong rod? Could someone assist me and tell me how to prime the oil pump? What should the tool look like. Thanks.

dstryr

I believe you are seeing the intermediate shaft.  You'll need to pull it out to get the priming rod to the pump.
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

maxwellwedge

You have to pull that gear out - the rod has to go all the way down into the pump. Stick a slotted screwdriver in the slot and slowly twist....it should disengage from the cam teeth and rise up enough to where you can grab it and pull it out. Note the direction of the slot before you twist it out.....that is if they put it in properly in the first place.

FARMER

So the priming rod goes down thru the gear to the pump? I tried using a screw driver to turn the slot where the distributor goes in, I can't turn it, either direction. Is it expose to turn easy? Do I need to make a tool to turn that slotted shaft?
Thanks for advise. Appreciate it very much.

daveco

The intermediate shaft is geared to the cam shaft, so the intermediate shaft needs to be removed so that a long priming shaft/rod can go all the way down to the oil pump. Turning the intermediate shaft via the slot that the distributor engages should make the intermediate shaft gear "climb" the gear on the cam shaft.

The business end of the oil pump priming tool should look just like the end of the intermediate shaft that drives the oil pump.
R/Tree

maxwellwedge

Just use a large enough screwdriver that you can get some turning torque on.....it will (as mentioned) climb up over the cam gear with enough torque and in the right direction.

A383Wing

pull up while turning gear with extra large screwdriver

PA Dodger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 18, 2011, 08:42:21 PM
Just use a large enough screwdriver that you can get some turning torque on.....it will (as mentioned) climb up over the cam gear with enough torque and in the right direction.

Yeah, what maxwell wedge said, but don't push down on the screwdriver as you turn it or it won't climb off the cam gear. I haven't done small block work in a long time but I think Counter-clockwise would remove it. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

FARMER

Thanks everyone will try, go and do. Here is a couple of photos what it look like. :)

dstryr

I misplaced my priming rod a while back and no-one in town had a piece of hex stock to cut one from so went to a Menard's and bought a $6 paint paddle for stirring paint with an electric drill, cut off the paddle and filed the end smooth and used it to turn the pump. 
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

daveco

Be sure to vacuum those shavings out of there :o
R/Tree

maxwellwedge

Make sure you have the drill spinning normal (clock-wise) for a small block.

Cooter

Oh boy, I can see this one coming....One more thing, REMEMBER TO INSTALL THAT GEAR BACK IN THE ORIGINAL POSITION IF DISTRIBUTOR IS ALREADY WIRED...Don't, and you'll be asking why it backfires through the intake/exhaust when you turn it over....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

FARMER

Got her done. Thanks everyone for your help. I could not have done it without ya all advise.  :cheers:

maxwellwedge

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"