News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 Charger - Long Awaited Update...

Started by 72Charger-SE, March 12, 2011, 09:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keepat

28x40 is a good size garage! Congrats on the new home!
Pat

72Charger-SE

For right now...  THIS is my garage...  24' long x 8' wide and everything 'less the car itself' is inside!  

I used the 3 Ton winch to load the transmission and motor today.  That is a slick way to move heavy stuff!  

ottawamerc

Sounds like a garage building party to me :icon_smile_wink: Glad to hear things are getting back on track for you guys!

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

72Charger-SE

Quote from: keepat on July 25, 2015, 06:55:31 PM
28x40 is a good size garage! Congrats on the new home!
Pat

Thanks Pat...  We are SOOO THANKFUL THE LORD provided what was so desperately needed for my wife!!!   GOD IS GOOD!!

72Charger-SE

Quote from: ottawamerc on July 25, 2015, 07:11:00 PM
Sounds like a garage building party to me :icon_smile_wink: Glad to hear things are getting back on track for you guys!

Scott :cheers:

Yes, Scott...  I am hoping to hire the frame up and roof trusses done.  We will see what the finances reveal later this month.  :)

72Charger-SE

Updated photos - Garage Concrete Pour Prep...

72Charger-SE

PEX tubing for in-floor heating added...

keepat

In floor heat is awesome! almost makes you look forward to winter.        not ;-)

72Charger-SE

Quote from: keepat on August 07, 2015, 02:22:02 PM
In floor heat is awesome! almost makes you look forward to winter.        not ;-)

Well, I have been told by numerous people how much of a mistake I was making IF i did not put the infloor heat in.  Sadly, it isn't in the budget so it will not be 'hooked' up this year but the tubing will be in place, which is the main goal.

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: 72Charger-SE on August 07, 2015, 02:45:14 PM

Well, I have been told by numerous people how much of a mistake I was making IF i did not put the infloor heat in.  Sadly, it isn't in the budget so it will not be 'hooked' up this year but the tubing will be in place, which is the main goal.

I'll second that !!!! I have it in my garage , best thing I ever did . Mine is not detached like yours though . What are you going to use for the heat source ? Boiler/water heater / on demand water heater ? Also , how are you going to control it ? Slab sensor , or reg t-stat ? I put a slab sensor in when I poured my floor , and have been using a dual t-stat slab/air but have it on slab only , set it at 65 and forget it !!! Very efficient way to heat !!!!
Congrats on the build !!!!

Charger-Bodie

On a detached garage I'm fine without floor heat. Unless you will be in there all the time. Floor heat needs to be set and left alone for the most part. A hanging gas furnace or the like , you can leave it at 50 or lower if you won't be working in there for a week or so and then just crank it up when you are. 15 minutes later it's 70 if you desire. Now in a shop where you work everyday, there is nothing better. In an attached garage I also would insist on floor heat.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

72Charger-SE

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on August 07, 2015, 06:11:45 PM
Quote from: 72Charger-SE on August 07, 2015, 02:45:14 PM

I'll second that !!!! I have it in my garage , best thing I ever did . Mine is not detached like yours though . What are you going to use for the heat source ? Boiler/water heater / on demand water heater ? Also , how are you going to control it ? Slab sensor , or reg t-stat ? I put a slab sensor in when I poured my floor , and have been using a dual t-stat slab/air but have it on slab only , set it at 65 and forget it !!! Very efficient way to heat !!!!
Congrats on the build !!!!

The plans are up in the air at this time but I am leaning towards a wall mounted electric boiler with a regular thermostat.  How does the 'slab sensor' work?

72Charger-SE

Re-Rod is laid down and tied together...  insulation seams are all taped and sealed from moisture...   6:30a tomorrow trucks arrive with concrete...  :2thumbs:

69 OUR/TEA

Basically you have a plastic electrical box mounted in the floor with the cover plate being at the height of the finished floor. A conduit runs from it  to where your tubing comes up , then pull a 2 wire t-stat wire thru , pour play sand half way , the sensor bulb  just wires together, set in sand then fill the rest with sand to top and pack it in, put the cover on . The heat in the concrete radiates thru the box , transfers thru the sand to the sensing bulb to trigger the t-stat.
Mine has been set on 65 degrees since I got it up and running 6 years ago .I "set it and forget it " . Come October/November when the floor starts to fall , when it hits 65 , on comes the floor !! I made my garage floor extra thick , 6'' , so it will retain the heat for a longer period of time , and that it does !!! When it " calls" , it maybe runs for 5,6 minutes then it is off for as long as 2-3 hours before it calls again .
NTM , the water temp I have running thru there is only 85 degrees , there also lies your efficiency.And with that , I am also running a NG modulating boiler that ramps up/down per the demand/temp outside to it , again , very efficient. ( I am heating other things in the house with that boiler).
Just remember , radiant floor heat is NOT like your typical heaters , don't go in there and turn it up 10 degrees and expect it to fly there , cause it doesn't !!! It would give or take all day to come up 4,5 degrees .
Radiant floor heat , set it and forget it !!!!

69 OUR/TEA

That garage is just slab on grade ? No foundation walls ?

72Charger-SE

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on August 07, 2015, 08:46:04 PM
That garage is just slab on grade ? No foundation walls ?

Yes, it is a 6" thick 28'x40' slab with 12" deep by 8" wide edges all around.  The town I live in does not require foundation walls and this is a common pour the contractor does in this area.  He is 100% confident I won't have any problems with cracking or anything.  I hope he is right. 

69 OUR/TEA

Gotcha , so it is basically a monolithic pour/slab .

72Charger-SE

72Charger-SE

Concrete pour complete!    :2thumbs:

ACUDANUT

Awesome. Where are the bolt studs on the floor to bolt the sides down ?

72Charger-SE

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 09, 2015, 11:37:07 AM
Awesome. Where are the bolt studs on the floor to bolt the sides down ?

Yes, the anchor bolts are in and ready for the walls to be mounted.

lukedukem

I'm a little late to this party, but i was gonna suggest also having it ready to accept a lift. but now with that heated stuff it might be a little difficult to drill the holes. there's always the portable lifts. looks good

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

72Charger-SE

Quote from: lukedukem on August 10, 2015, 10:15:22 AM
I'm a little late to this party, but i was gonna suggest also having it ready to accept a lift. but now with that heated stuff it might be a little difficult to drill the holes. there's always the portable lifts. looks good

Luke

Luke, Good suggestion..   :)   

I thought about that ahead of time so I painstakingly measured the distance of the lines from East to West and marked down where they are on paper at various distances from the South wall.  As long as they did not move when the concrete was poured I have a map of where I can and cannot drill if I were to install a lift in the future. 

Thanks & GOD Bless,
Chad

Cncguy

I was thinking of a 28 x 40 garage also. If you don't mind me asking what did the concrete work cost you? Looking good can't wait to see the rest of the construction.

72Charger-SE

Quote from: Cncguy on August 11, 2015, 06:39:26 AM
I was thinking of a 28 x 40 garage also. If you don't mind me asking what did the concrete work cost you? Looking good can't wait to see the rest of the construction.

Concrete: $4.83 per sq foot * 1120 sq feet = $5409
Leveling loads of lime $150 each * 4 = $600
Insulation under concreted = $28.75 per * 35 = $1006
PEX Tubing for heating installed = $1105

Total = $8120.00

This pretty much taps my budget for this year so there won't be much progress for awhile on the build.  But at least I have concrete to build on.  :)