News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

speed bump hazzard

Started by chargd72, January 27, 2011, 02:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

Quote from: chargd72 on February 18, 2011, 09:33:48 AM
Do you guys mind elaborating on cranking up the torsion bars?  Not sure how to do that.

The big bolt, dead center of the lower control am..Crank it clockwise and car go up, crank it counterclockwise and car go down...

What everybody is NOT telling you is you will need to align te front end after this little ride hieght experiment..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

chargd72

Good info  :cheers:  Will need an alignment when it's rolling anyway.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

Paul G

If your going to mess with the torsion bars it is a good time to level the suspension, side to side. Take measurements from some point to the ground at each wheel. You can use the fender lip to ground for instance. See if both sides, front left to right, and rear left to right, are about the same distance respectively. If not you can raise one side a little more than the other to get them level. Keep in mind, raising the left front just to say, will cause the right rear to a bit lower than the left rear now. It throws a little of the weight that way. Also, I like to raise the front with a jack and jack stands before I try to turn the T bar adjusting bolt. Getting the weight off the bar makes it a little easier. And, lube up the threads on the adjusting bolt. Each time you make an adjustment roll the car back and forth 5 or 6 feet and bounce it a little to get the suspension back home.

My 72 was off by almost an inch side to side when I got it. Now they are within a 1/4" of each other.

If you do take it in for an alignment afterwords just don't let them jack with the ride height. The factory has specs for that. Reason being you just set ride height the way you wanted it.

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

One thing I noticed about having a 440 Mopar is that the headers are a serious pain in the you know what. I have hooker headers and the tube on the drivers side had to be notched to clear the frame and the torsion bar goes through the header tubes making them impossible to easily change.

My sump also hangs down about as far as the header flanges so  :eek2: Speed bumps at a 45 could be worse.... sump or headers ? .... I'll take the headers please.. lol

stuga

Ah, header, yes the good old hooker super com headers on my 73SE charger :D. Had them on the 400 and put them on the 383 when I swapped the engine the first time. The fun doing spark plugs, change you day plans if your changing a starter motor. Lost the full wiring harness from engine into the dash do to a bad wire clip that let the alternator wire fall on the header and the fuse link was missing unknown to me :brickwall:. See a cop. blow a collector gasket :rofl:. Cracked welds and punched in pipes due to New England potholes and speed bumps, wonderful times.
Sounded mean, extra 15-20hp helpful,head aches endless, miss them, not a chance :coolgleamA:
Mopar ehaust manifolds, TCI pipes, priceless, for everthing else there's Visa  :icon_smile_big: