News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Working on dash cluster-Need help

Started by sixpack_sid, March 04, 2011, 10:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I am redoing the dash cluster in my 68 Charger. How do I take it apart without breaking it? Is there anything I should be aware of? I don't want to break anything. I have one cluster that is broken and another cluster that is in decent shape. When I bought the car, the previous owner had dismantled EVERYTHING! Everything is in boxes, so I don't even know how anything goes together.
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

terrible one

I just went through disassembling mine to diagnose a couple of gauge problems. The bezel is attached with numerous machine screws that thread into plastic posts that you need to access from the back side. Make sure you have removed them all before trying to remove the bezel.

Then to access the gauges, you will need to remove the plastic lens. It is held on with these little clips that look like thumbtacks almost. Attack them from the backside as well . . . just take a set of needle nose pliers (the smaller the better, a couple spots are a tight squeeze) and compress the fastners while pushing them out. You will understand what I mean once you look at them.

Once the gauges are exposed, you will be able to remove them. The small gauges simply attach using 2 studs and 3/8 nuts on the back. Take the nuts off and the gauges slide straight out.

The speedo just attaches with the two screws you will see directly behind it, and I can't remember the clock at the moment but I'm sure it's simple.

Hope that helps  :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Unless you're taliking about how to get the whole pod out?  In that case I dropped my steering column, removed all the bezel screws and slowly pulled it out.  I then leaned behind it and took pictures.  Slowly unplugged everything and pulled it out some more.  Unclip the speedo cable first.  Was very easy to do.  Also lay a towel over the steering shaft so you don't chip paint.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

sixpack_sid

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on March 06, 2011, 06:34:31 AM
Unless you're taliking about how to get the whole pod out?  In that case I dropped my steering column, removed all the bezel screws and slowly pulled it out.  I then leaned behind it and took pictures.  Slowly unplugged everything and pulled it out some more.  Unclip the speedo cable first.  Was very easy to do.  Also lay a towel over the steering shaft so you don't chip paint.

Hey 1969chargerrtse:
Do you still have the pics you took?? The whole pod was out of the car when I got it so I don't know where the wiring goes. Would you be able to send me pics? I basically got a shell of the car and boxes of parts.  If you can't post them here, PM me and I'll send you my email address.
Thanks!
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

rob69

Hey Guys
I got hold of a spare ralley cluster. Plan is to fix it up while I keep my car on road, then swap it out later.
DQ#1- how do you remove the TicToc knob, without breaking something made of 40yr old plastic, :shruggy:

Also, any recommendations on a shop that I can send the instruments to for upgrade or over haul.
I dont care about original silk screening, etc... I just want maximum function on a car I plan to drive alot.

Last weekend my speedo went berserk with a "loose rotating object noise"  :o behind the dash,  so this gauge project is moving up in priority.

(my car came with a romex wire and bubble gum electrical system which I am slowly replacing, god knows what I will find when I look behind the dash)

Thanks
Rob
"..up from the ashes, grow the roses of success"

terrible one

Hey Rob,

If you look closely at (down in) the clock set knob, you will see there is actually a small flathead screw down in there. That's how you get it off. I didn't have a small enough flathead handy when I messed with mine so I filed the end of a cotter pin flat and used that. A shot of PB blaster or WD40 down there before you start will make things easier.

rob69

Thanks TO
I need to get stronger glasses,
I would never have found that
R
"..up from the ashes, grow the roses of success"

terrible one

No problem. It took a bit for me to figure it out too. And it's a very small screw.

As far as gauges go, you can get away much cheaper using decals instead of silk screening so that's good. Member lilwendal here used to do them and did a great job but has stopped as far as I know. Still, serch for his threads, very informative.

A few members here seem to be satisfied with this guy:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,67620.0.html

smyythe68

If your looking for help let me know I redid mine and calibrated it just like the lil wendel thread, I also added the solid state regulator on mine. I still have all the stuff I used to calibrate with. The only thing I can't calibrate is the speedo. As long as the gauges are still good and everything is in decent shape I can handle it. I use performance graphics for the new stickers and I sandblast the gauge faces after removing them before repainting them. I also reattach the faces with brass rivets. I am in the Detroit area if you are close. Just let me know... I tried to post some pics but they are to large. If you want some pics or some help just PM me.