News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any framers still awake?

Started by bull, January 04, 2006, 01:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Tonight I'm putting in one of those pull-down attic ladders but in the attic over my garage there's a 2x6 in my way. It looks like a temporary brace to me and I'm wondering if I can remove it without causing any structural damage. It's positioned right about where your head would pop up through the opening and due to the contractors running wires all over the place that's the only feasible place to put the ladder.

In the picture here it's the 2x6 that runs diagonally from the "floor" joists up to the outer wall. Can I take it out? It's held in by two nails against the wall and 2 or 3 toenailed in at the bottom.

Blown70

Well I am not a PRO.
However one summer I helped build 3 houses... and did it all not all this specialized contracting.... Roofing, sheet rock, etc.  ( btw I am ALL for the sub contrcting)

Anyway,   we would brace the outer wall rafter up like that to start but once everything was done and the sheeting was on the roof... We took them down?  ALL the houses still have the roof and are not leaning.

I was in my house last year and did not see anything of the sort.... Same rafter design.

TOM

bull

Thanks for the input, Tom. I will leave it in for a while, at least while I'm putting the ladder in, but after that and after I insulate and put down some plywood to walk on I'll probably take it of there out if no one here cries foul.

Silver R/T

it doesnt serve for anything else but holding that wall there while roof is being covered. Ive seen people add another room in their ceiling like that and they didnt have it just insulate walls and roof and put sheetrock or plywood and you got another room
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

NHCharger

THat's just a temporary support to plumb up the gable truss. We alway leave them in until we run the permanent truss bracing on the webs.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

4402tuff4u

Believe it or not it does help with lateral wind loads. If you live in hurricane prone area, I would replace it with two braces adjacent to your pull down stairs. You can use the existing one after you cut it down in length and add a second one on the other side of the opening.  :Twocents:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Afflyer

Looks to me, that if you remove that 2X6, the house will not fall like a house of cards.  Looks o-kay to me.  I'd get a contractor's opinion though, just to be safe.

Bradley
Retired USAF C-130H3, C-130E, MC-130E, MC-130W Flight Engineer

1969 Charger 440/4bbl "Hemi Orange Mistress"
2009 Hemi Ram 1500 Sport Special Crew Cab "Black Betty"
2011 BMW X5 3.5i "Heidi"

bull

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on January 04, 2006, 09:38:35 AM
Believe it or not it does help with lateral wind loads. If you live in hurricane prone area, I would replace it with two braces adjacent to your pull down stairs. You can use the existing one after you cut it down in length and add a second one on the other side of the opening.   :Twocents:

Definitely no hurricanes here in Oregon, but we do get a brisk east wind in the winter that can occasionally gust up into the 40 mph range.

694spdRT

Is your garage attached to the house or free standing?
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Blown70

Quote from: bull on January 04, 2006, 11:33:56 AM
Quote from: 4402tuff4u on January 04, 2006, 09:38:35 AM
Believe it or not it does help with lateral wind loads. If you live in hurricane prone area, I would replace it with two braces adjacent to your pull down stairs. You can use the existing one after you cut it down in length and add a second one on the other side of the opening.   :Twocents:

Definitely no hurricanes here in Oregon, but we do get a brisk east wind in the winter that can occasionally gust up into the 40 mph range.

Trust me you will be fine removing it.   My house has seen 60 mph gusts and nothing.... Take it down.

Tom

bull

Quote from: 694spdRT on January 04, 2006, 11:35:51 AM
Is your garage attached to the house or free standing?

Attached. And the wall runs east/west with the wind.

Not to worry, Tom, it'll be coming out.