News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Manifold Temps

Started by Slice, March 12, 2011, 04:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slice

Does anyone know how hot an intake on a 440 typically gets? 

I've been going back and forth on how to protect an intake manifold that I recently polished.  I've thought about powder coating or spraying with something like Eastwood Diamond clear coat, but all methods seem to dull the polish a bit.

I was thinking about just keeping it waxed with Carnuba wax.  It supposedly melts at 180 degrees. 

FLG

If your gonna go clear use diamond extreme clear, covers like glass and isn't supposed to yellow.

Also use the felpro intake gasket with the ports for the heat crossover blocked off.

daveco

I don't know an exact temp, but they get pretty darn hot around the heat crossover. Well over 150 degrees.
That is exhaust gas flowing through there after all. :scratchchin:

As far as maintaining the polished finish, unless you block the crossover passage, I dont think there is much that can be done there that doesn't just open up another can of worms. :shruggy:
R/Tree

randy73

Well you have coolant going through and it will get over 190 easily, especially in traffic or at the track.
Plus you have heat coming from exhaust manifolds, I would say the engine bay will get up to about 215-220 on a hot dy in traffic.