News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking for specfic history of engin

Started by bonfire1009, March 12, 2011, 12:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonfire1009

I posted my question before but judging from the replies I was not specific in my question.  I know from the VIN my '69 Charger should have a 318, upon inspecting the serial #'s I found it is a 340.
I am wondering if there is a way I can find out more about my motor by the serial numbers to where/when it was built and any other specific/helpful information.  I am not computer savvy and am new to the restoration informational searches. :shruggy:
Also on a side note if you know how I can find/make a duplicate of my build plate that would make my day.  Mine is missing and from all my hunting I was told those records of what a specific VIN # had is gone.
Thanks for any help.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: bonfire1009 on March 12, 2011, 12:05:27 PM
I am wondering if there is a way I can find out more about my motor by the serial numbers to where/when it was built and any other specific/helpful information. 

Also on a side note if you know how I can find/make a duplicate of my build plate that would make my day.  Mine is missing and from all my hunting I was told those records of what a specific VIN # had is gone.

If the engine is a 69 or later model year block, it will have the VIN on a pad on the passenger's side of the block about 1/3 of the way back. That will help narrow down what it came out of. If it is a 68 model year block, it MAY have a VIN on the upper back part of the of the block. Also, check the engine assembly numbers on the driver's side of the block just below where the head meets the block. That will give you the model year and the assembly date. That may help narrow it down.

Without the original tag or a broadcast sheet, it is not possible to make a new tag accurately. You might be able to determine the tag layout from the window sticker depending on the year make and model.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.