News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3.23 Sure-Grip Price?

Started by Old School, March 10, 2011, 01:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old School

Whats a 8.75 with 3.23 gears going for these days. Have a guy looking to sell one
but don't want to overpay either?

Thanks

Troy

Sure Grip or not? I've seen center sections with "open" 2.76-3.23 gears selling for as low as $75. For one in nice condition with a Sure Grip they're usually around the $450-500 mark. For whole rear axle assemblies I can find them fairly often locally for about $250.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

John_Kunkel

Value depends a lot on the type of differential, the cone type Sure-Grip is less desireable than the clutch type.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Rolling_Thunder

I see clutch type sure grips with 3.23 gears between $300-$500 depending on what case its in usually
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

stuga

Well if you find a extra 742 case with either 3.23 or 3.55 and a 7290 yoke for $400-$500 give me a shout please :laugh:
489 suregrip case is the cone stye suregrip and aren't rebuildable, a 742 and 741 case have the clutch stlye suregrip that are rebuildable when worn.
Watch out for people telling you it's a 742 or 741suregrip pumpkin and  don't include a clear photo of the gears assembly.
Sorry I didn't have any pics in my file to show you the difference.
But Ha don't forget to tell me if anyone has a extra one for a good price ;D

mikesbbody

Actually, you can rebuild a 489 Sure Grip...

stuga

How can you rebuild the cone suregrip mikesbbody? I only ask because everyone told me that you can't and I see 489 suregrips always selling cheaper.

squeakfinder

It might not be economical to rebuild a cone type. You have to have a machinist mill the cones down.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

stuga

mikesbbody

Quote from: stuga on March 10, 2011, 07:22:13 PM
How can you rebuild the cone suregrip mikesbbody? I only ask because everyone told me that you can't and I see 489 suregrips always selling cheaper.

They sell Kits I believe? all i know is this my 489 that I thought was a open Type turns out it wasn't (Id bought a 742 Sure Grip because of this which I later had to sell  :'() anyway, I take it to my Friend who can petty much fix anything. He takes it apart
And does something with the crush sleeve (replaced it, machined it not sure) now both tires light up  :2thumbs:
I then got a hold of another 489 Sure Grip with 2.9's? had a new set of 3.9's took it to my Friend again who changed the gears
And made a much Beefier Crush Sleeve it's not hard if you know what your doing (or so he said but he's been doing it for years)
All this for a total of 0$  :cheers: he then got a 741 (I know, the "least desirable" of the 3) and it's in pieces he tells me if I ever get
Another set of gears for it (either 3.23's or 3.73's) he will make that up for me what a Guy!  :cheers:

Cooter

Yes, mike's correct..Contrary to popular belief, you can rebuild the cone type diffs. It might not be as easily done as some of you guys with the clutches you can juts buy and install yourselves, but it can be done..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

mikepmcs

i read this somewhere and saved it.  i think it's on that other site under tech archives; rear axle.

machine .030 off the face of each cone (the face that meets the case). Put .030 shims between the cones and the spider gears.
you machine the bottom of the cone, so instead of the cone bottoming out in the case, it will ride on the sides again allowing it to have some level of lock up.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikesbbody

There you go Stuga, Cooter and Mike have explained more (I didn't want to say too much in case I was wrong  :lol:) but I knew it can be done I would say to you, if you can fine a Suregrip 742, that would be the best option however, if you already have a 489 sure Grip, Look into what is involved (cost wise) to rebuild it before buying another suregrip  :Twocents:

stuga

That's probably why my buddy told me to look for a 742 suregrip case. My rear is only a 489 2.76 open :brickwall:. But that is some very helpful info if a ever come across a good 489 suregrip with the gears I want, Thanks guys

squeakfinder

You can allways put the clutch type suregrip in the 489 case. On a side note, I think the 741 is underrated. I've got a 3.91 suregrip in a 741 case in my car. I've pounded on it pretty hard without any problems.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

mikesbbody

Quote from: squeakfinder on March 12, 2011, 06:46:15 PM

You can allways put the clutch type suregrip in the 489 case. On a side note, I think the 741 is underrated. I've got a 3.91 suregrip in a 741 case in my car. I've pounded on it pretty hard without any problems.

I think they are underrated too I heard they used them on max Wedge Cars? if so then they can't be that bad!