News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what should i put in my 71

Started by 71wrenchhead, February 10, 2011, 02:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71wrenchhead

i guess that sounds pretty fair
thanks all for the help
my dad rebuilt cars a long time ago, i learned a little but not the extensive work and thought that goes into it
yall have been a tremendous help
Got slapped by my wife for keeping an engine in the bedroom........yeah, pretty much sums up my life

ACUDANUT

Sounds like your getting the cart, before the Horse  :Twocents:

1Bad70Charger

48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

Troy

My $1,400 440 is not for sale. The 383 is and another (unfinished) 440 is. I can pretty much get anything built here (Ohio) for $4,000-5,000 though. Sort of like looking through Muscle Motors and chopping 50% off the price. It's all in the labor cost.

Quote from: 71wrenchhead on February 11, 2011, 05:43:26 PM
wheres this place in alabama
id like a stroked 440, just cant seem to find one that i dont have to deck and bore and all that
but id rather throw a five or six speed behind it, so i can cruise, but still stomp in the lower gears, just dont know where to get one
and im currently looking at a moser rear end and fabricating a 4 link suspension
The guy in Alabama is currently out of commission (accident unrelated to building engines). You're going to want to bore/deck any stroker. There aren't too many stroker kits with stock sized pistons because they all assume you're starting with a used (worn) block. The extra cubic inches doesn't hurt. The deck height is going to help determine the heads, cam, and pistons (and, eventually, compression ratio). Besides, why do all that work if you aren't going to "blueprint it"? Slapping in a bunch of parts is never as good as ensuring all those parts fit and complement each other.

Back to price... any 5-speed setup is going to be around $5,000 unless you manage to piece it together yourself. Add another $1,000-2,000 for a 6-speed - and probably a lot more "manipulating" of the floor pan. If you stick with a reasonable build on the 440 you can use a Mopar OD 4-speed instead for about 1/3-1/2 the price (for the entire conversion). All those transmissions will break before the Dana (assuming that's the Moser you're wanting). It's not my car but you could build an entire "streetable"  drive train for about what the Moser and 4-link will set you back. You're aiming at the $15k mark (or more) right now. That's a lot different than patching up a 318.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

71wrenchhead

ic, thanks for the advice
im not sure what im gonna do yet, but its all good, on account of i still have a bunch of work to do on the body and all
just wanted to toss some ideas around

unfortunately, or fortunately (havent decided yet) i think im going to have to stick with my 318 for now, on account of my wife wants a 71-72 roadrunner
i swear i married a female version of me   :rofl:
Got slapped by my wife for keeping an engine in the bedroom........yeah, pretty much sums up my life

71charger

Quote from: Dans 68 on February 10, 2011, 02:04:31 PM
Quote from: Troy on February 10, 2011, 11:39:08 AM
...I've got a running 68 383 that I can't seem to get $200 for. The 383 revs higher than a 440 but doesn't have the torque. It will get better mileage though and is plenty of fun on the street.

Troy

I agree with all the above. But I would take that running 383 for $200 all day long  :yesnod: ...it is just that Ohio is an awful long ways away. Another thought is to stroke whatever you get, even a 383. Lots of torque and high revving.  :yesnod:

Dan

where can i get a runnign 383 for $200
I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of bubble gum.

Troy

Quote from: 71charger on March 08, 2011, 06:34:37 PM
Quote from: Dans 68 on February 10, 2011, 02:04:31 PM
Quote from: Troy on February 10, 2011, 11:39:08 AM
...I've got a running 68 383 that I can't seem to get $200 for. The 383 revs higher than a 440 but doesn't have the torque. It will get better mileage though and is plenty of fun on the street.

Troy

I agree with all the above. But I would take that running 383 for $200 all day long  :yesnod: ...it is just that Ohio is an awful long ways away. Another thought is to stroke whatever you get, even a 383. Lots of torque and high revving.  :yesnod:

Dan

where can i get a runnign 383 for $200
Ohio. It will cost you more to ship it than to buy it though.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.