News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Side Pipes?

Started by DustinSimmonds, March 06, 2011, 03:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DustinSimmonds

So, I have been looking at my Charger, and i'm starting to like the idea of side pipes on it. What do you guys think? :popcrn:

68X426

I think no. Fix the side mirror first. ::)

I don't remember a single Charger (or any Mopar) in the 70s with side pipes. Could have been just my neighborhoods, but I spent the 70s in Ohio and Southern California. I have zero recollection of seeing even one out of millions of 70s cars.

The vehicles with pipes were the 30s and 40s rodders and sleds. Throw in a few 50s and 60s Chevys too. To me, pipes on any Charger is the wrong era style. Might as well chop your roof and slam the car. :Twocents:

Plus your lady will burn her ankles. Not good.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

BOSSHEMI

cobras, 63 - 72 vettes, old school hotrods, leadsleds all look cool with sidepipes.
just your avg "car guy"

68X426

:icon_smile_blackeye: I should clarify I was referring to muscle cars, I don't count cobra and vettes in with muscle cars.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Brock Samson

I've seen a few with side pipes - usually a Mustang or Yenko Phase II Camaro other than Vettes,.. the aftermarket ones they sold back in the day were too short by nearly a foot to actually look like they belonged on the car... especially anything bigger than a pony car... there's a flamed one (quite some time ago, i seen on this site that has the too short aftermarket pipes... both are second gens however...  :shruggy:

68coronetGLwannabe

I have always liked the looks of side pipes. I say go for it and you can always change it back if you don't like them.The car in the above pic looks awesome.
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Richard Cranium

Quote from: 68coronetGLwannabe on March 06, 2011, 07:23:24 PM
I have always liked the looks of side pipes. I say go for it and you can always change it back if you don't like them.The car in the above pic looks awesome.

Some of you General Lee guys have the worst tastes.   :smilielol:
I am Dr. Remulac

Tilar

There were a lot of cars different cars with side pipes all the way up through the 70's and early 80's. I had a 69 A100 that had side pipes on it. You would even see a caddy and Lincoln now and then with side pipes.

I agree, Go ahead if you want... It's nothing that cant be removed.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

The70RT

Vettes always looked cool with them. I think they look best on an old Van.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

68coronetGLwannabe

Quote from: Richard Cranium on March 06, 2011, 07:31:24 PM

Some of you General Lee guys have the worst tastes.   :smilielol:

Why! So many threads end up with GL bashing. Give it a rest, just because you put a smiley behind doesn't make it funny. It truly takes away from the posters thread.
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

MoparManJim

Quote from: 68coronetGLwannabe on March 06, 2011, 07:39:54 PM

Why! So many threads end up with GL bashing. Give it a break, just because you put a smiley behind doesn't make it funny.

Yea, and just like he likes to post about how he likes or wants to blow stuff up with m-80's also. I kinda say he has the worst taste if anything and likes to distroy stuff.  

Also to the person that made this thread, I think side pipes would look nice, but like another member also mention, you have to watch out for your and love ones legs from getting burnt on the side pipes. 

NHCharger

One of my favorite cars, and it has the side exhaust, not full length side pipes
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Brock Samson

if the pipes came out T/A AAR style, which is a good solution,.. they just need to be aft of the rear door opening, voila! no burnt ankels,... 
or possibly cankles... 

Road Dog

I used to have my exhaust turned out to the sides just before the rear wheels. Sounded awesome ,but at highway speeds on a long cruise it really shook my brains. :eek2: Should have ran a bit more muffler with my setup. :shruggy:
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

TruckDriver

I like side pipes on Charger's. But for me, I prefer t he 3-1/2"  header side pipes. Go for it! :2thumbs:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

694spdRT

My dad put side pipes on the '68 back in the mid 70's but later changed to duals out the back.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Old Moparz

Quote from: DustinSimmonds on March 06, 2011, 03:14:42 PM
So, I have been looking at my Charger, and i'm starting to like the idea of side pipes on it. What do you guys think? :popcrn:

I like side pipes, but I knew someone that had them on a E-Body Cuda & the exhaust stench was always inside the car. Something to consider.  :Twocents:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

pipeliner

To each their own but I think side pipes on mopars :puke:

Steve P.

Quote from: Road Dog on March 06, 2011, 07:57:28 PM
I used to have my exhaust turned out to the sides just before the rear wheels. Sounded awesome ,but at highway speeds on a long cruise it really shook my brains. :eek2: Should have ran a bit more muffler with my setup. :shruggy:

Could not agree more. Had them on my first 65' and loved AND hated them.... Especially when I was running the 4:10's.... OHMYACHINGHEAD............. :rotz:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

mikesbbody

Quote from: pipeliner on March 06, 2011, 08:45:29 PM
To each their own but I think side pipes on mopars :puke:

Couldn't agree more surprised so many think it's a good idea  :slap:

daveco

Quote from: Road Dog on March 06, 2011, 07:57:28 PM

I also had side exits on my Charger, got loads of compliments on how good it sounded. Never bothered me at cruising speeds.

Sidepipes? I like 'em :cheers:
R/Tree

Cooter

Side pipes are ok as long as you are doing a retro 70's theme. Jack it up to the sky with Gabriel Highjackers, run 12" wide Cragar S/S Mags with Huge N-50X15" tires sticking about 4" out the rear quarters, fuzzy dice hanging from the windshield, shag carpet, chainlink steering wheel, HUGE snorkel style hood scoop, and thlkike to match the theme. :D
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Richard Cranium

Quote from: 68coronetGLwannabe on March 06, 2011, 07:39:54 PM

Why! So many threads end up with GL bashing. Give it a rest, just because you put a smiley behind doesn't make it funny. It truly takes away from the posters thread.

Alright, I'll agree the GL jab was a bit harsh, so for the sake of keeping harmony, here's the same post made to be PC.....

Some of you guys have the worst tastes.   :smilielol:

Really, with the funky paint job, hood scoop, flaired fenders, side pipes, extended shackles, painted springs, painted rear end, speed decals in the window (and that's just what you can see),  that poor old '70 Charger is just plain hideous......and I can't imagine what the interior looks like.
I am Dr. Remulac

chargermike

side pipes. really. NO they look stupid. they were cool in the 70s. but then so was disco and playing pong and 8 track players.

greenpigs

I like the blue Charger with chrome sidepipes.

Like mentioned they bolt off easy enough but make sure the local police do not have some sound ordance or you could be an easy ticket every time you drive it.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free