News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Side Pipes?

Started by DustinSimmonds, March 06, 2011, 03:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Cranium

Quote from: MoparManJim on March 06, 2011, 07:44:55 PM
Yea, and just like he likes to post about how he likes or wants to blow stuff up with m-80's also. I kinda say he has the worst taste if anything and likes to distroy stuff.  

Come on, blowing up a toy car with an M-80 makes me have the "worst taste"? :whistling:  Are there actually people here who haven't done that?!?!?!?! If so, perhaps this is the car forum to be on....

http://priuschat.com/forums/

I am Dr. Remulac

Patronus

Side pipes??!? Dude...  :icon_smile_blackeye:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Steve P.

Of course everything is a matter of taste. In the 70's we didn't have anywhere near the amount of aftermarket parts we have now. Wheel choices and sizes, (including backspacing), is really a thing of today. Tires and rubber compounds!!!! Well, let's just say that what we had then was nothing in comparison. People went with the widest tires they could trying to get traction from bias-ply garbage.

As to the paint jobs, well I'm here to tell you that those painters of the day were nothing less than artists. Most of the paint jobs and murals in those days were considered rolling art. Sure there was hack jobs that went along with them, but there still are today... Painting rear ends and springs was just a continuation of the body paint. Again, still doing this today and WHY NOT??

Shackles sucked then and still do today, but that was pretty much what was available back then. We didn't have the availability to buy springs with different spring rates or have the internet to research who had what. 

Side pipes were very cool back then and many loved them. The better ones did sit low and tight to the lower rocker and occasionally did burn a leg or two. But they were cool and appreciated by enthusiasts.

I wasn't much for the chain-link steering wheel myself, but they were very custom until they became a mass produced aftermarket piece.

In a nutshell, all of this is our history. We have enjoyed it and learned much from it. If you don't like it that is fine, but give all those people from back then props as they are the people that kept everything in car customs and cool tech moving forward. And keep in mind that some people still like the look of 12" wide Cragars. They are STILL one of the best looking wheels on the market.

Just my .02
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Nacho-RT74

they look KINDA cool, but not at the same time. Mixed feelings about the look

Now... if a driver FORGETT IT. Regular locations turns out annoying even with stock location with some mufflers, I can't imagine side pipes being less and in fact MORE ANNOYING.

Then If headers are already a headache when you find bumps, I can't imagine this setup being less.

Once again, talking about a driver or a quite often driver. For show, go for them if you want.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

terrible one

Quote from: Steve P. on March 07, 2011, 10:55:56 AM
Of course everything is a matter of taste. In the 70's we didn't have anywhere near the amount of aftermarket parts we have now. Wheel choices and sizes, (including backspacing), is really a thing of today. Tires and rubber compounds!!!! Well, let's just say that what we had then was nothing in comparison. People went with the widest tires they could trying to get traction from bias-ply garbage.

As to the paint jobs, well I'm here to tell you that those painters of the day were nothing less than artists. Most of the paint jobs and murals in those days were considered rolling art. Sure there was hack jobs that went along with them, but there still are today... Painting rear ends and springs was just a continuation of the body paint. Again, still doing this today and WHY NOT??

Shackles sucked then and still do today, but that was pretty much what was available back then. We didn't have the availability to buy springs with different spring rates or have the internet to research who had what. 

Side pipes were very cool back then and many loved them. The better ones did sit low and tight to the lower rocker and occasionally did burn a leg or two. But they were cool and appreciated by enthusiasts.

I wasn't much for the chain-link steering wheel myself, but they were very custom until they became a mass produced aftermarket piece.

In a nutshell, all of this is our history. We have enjoyed it and learned much from it. If you don't like it that is fine, but give all those people from back then props as they are the people that kept everything in car customs and cool tech moving forward. And keep in mind that some people still like the look of 12" wide Cragars. They are STILL one of the best looking wheels on the market.

Just my .02

Great post Steve. I love the 70s and 80s themes and paint jobs and stuff like that. I didn't know that about the chain steering wheel though. Cool.

jb666

I just have one thing to add... This is the most seamless chop I think I've ever seen  :lol:

Just kidding, I couldn't do much better!!!  :rofl:

TruckDriver

Quote from: chargermike on March 07, 2011, 06:12:09 AM
side pipes. really. NO they look stupid. they were cool in the 70s. but then so was disco and playing pong and 8 track players.

Disco is WAY better to listen to then Rap & Hip Hop  :eek2:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Lennard

Quote from: Steve P. on March 07, 2011, 10:55:56 AM
In a nutshell, all of this is our history. We have enjoyed it and learned much from it. If you don't like it that is fine, but give all those people from back then props as they are the people that kept everything in car customs and cool tech moving forward.
Just my .02

:2thumbs:

Richard Cranium

Quote from: TruckDriver on March 07, 2011, 12:44:44 PM
side pipes. really. NO they look stupid. they were cool in the 70s. but then so was disco and playing pong and 8 track players.

Disco is WAY better to listen to then Rap & Hip Hop  :eek2:

....and that's not saying much.
I am Dr. Remulac

clanton

This is hands down the best Charger MOD Ive seen on here....,
Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Brock Samson

Quote from: Richard Cranium on March 07, 2011, 12:53:09 PM

Disco is WAY better to listen to then Rap & Hip Hop  :eek2:

These are only opinions... our particular opinions - and some options for reference...
that blue '70 is bitchen' to my way of thinking,.. side pipes can be cool if done well... it was the '70s for crying out loud...
  :RantExplode:
and personally i'd rather listen to wheezy or even DJ Cam then the bee gees anyday,  :yesnod:
but these are just my opinions.. not facts...
'n why you'd want to go down that road I have no idea Pete...  :shruggy: just like D.H. sayin' DOH folks have no taste, it's a blanket statement meant to foster derision for everyone else who might not walk, or rather march in lock step with him, i mean us...   :icon_smile_wink:

Maybe with a little nudge here and there, maybe we can get this thread locked too..

clanton

Quote from: Brock Samson on March 07, 2011, 01:00:07 PM

These are only opinions... our particular opinions - and some options for reference...
that blue '70 is bitchen' to my way of thinking,.. side pipes can be cool if done well... it was the '70s for crying out loud...
  :RantExplode:
and personally i'd rather listen to wheezy or even DJ Cam then the bee gees anyday,  :yesnod:
but these are just my opinions.. not facts...
'n why you'd want to go down that road I have no idea Pete...  :shruggy: just like D.H. sayin' DOH folks have no taste, it's a blanket statement meant to foster derision for everyone else who might not walk, or rather march in lock step with him, i mean us...   :icon_smile_wink:

Maybe with a little nudge here and there, maybe we can get this thread locked too..

Why are you always crying about threads getting locked, that you contribute to? Whos doing the snitching around here....
Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Brock Samson

Give it up Clanton. You made your bed.

TruckDriver

Yea, thats true. Although, I kinda like some songs from the Disco era from the Bee Gee's and a few others :P  And hell no.... NO VILLAGE PEOPLE :eek2:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

TK73

Disco?

When I think of the '70's I go straight to THE HAMMER OF THE GODS!!!!!!!!!!!!   :smash:

A lot of Floyd, Sabbath, Deep Purple, BOC, etc...

What the hell are you talking about disco for? 
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

aussiemuscle

sidespipes are SOOOOO.... 70s... it's what i wouldve done if id had a car and money in the 70s (i was too young to have either). they were cool.

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on March 07, 2011, 11:01:17 AM
they look KINDA cool, but not at the same time. Mixed feelings about the look

Now... if a driver FORGETT IT. Regular locations turns out annoying even with stock location with some mufflers, I can't imagine side pipes being less and in fact MORE ANNOYING.

Then If headers are already a headache when you find bumps, I can't imagine this setup being less.

Once again, talking about a driver or a quite often driver. For show, go for them if you want.

so what you're saying Nacho, is sidepipes are good for cars that are "all show, no go"? hehe

The70RT

I got an old Falcon I might put some on then drop it to the ground  :D
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Road Dog

Side pipes on the Charger and drove thru the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Awesome.
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

troutstreamnm

Friends don't let friends do side pipes!  :nono:
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: aussiemuscle on March 08, 2011, 12:08:12 AM

so what you're saying Nacho, is sidepipes are good for cars that are "all show, no go"? hehe

yes. maybe ;D I think nowdays is something wouldn't be comfy to a regular driver, just SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME occasional drive
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

68X426

So, Dustin, whatcha going to do about pipes?

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

JPL

LOVE sidepipes......
only on my Viper though

DustinSimmonds

:o Wow! I had no idea this thread would get this many replies! Well I think that I may give the side pipes a try, if I don't like them I have a friend who will buy them from me.    :2thumbs: Thanks for all the input guys! I really appreciate it. When it comes to side pipes I think I just need to find the right style that would work with my Charger! So i'll have to start looking in to them.  :popcrn:

Nacho-RT74

Honestly If I would decide to fit them, will modify the body to fit them around the rocker panel height and don't affect the ride height clearence

maybe getting a depression into rocker panel, if posible

but thats just me

lot of job and money involved to make that though

DustinSimmonds

Yea I hear ya, i'm gonna do a lot of research into making these work. I have a friend who specializes in muscle cars, so he could probably tell me how hard that would be to do.  :2thumbs: