News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new potential '69 RT/SE owner. good deal?

Started by kaj, March 04, 2011, 07:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaj

i'm looking to purchase a project vehicle. it's a 1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE. VIN numbers match all over the car, but the engine has been swapped. it does come with a 440ci with a six pack, but it's the low-hp version out of a '72 vehicle, i believe. i have the option of a '68 440 (the 375hp/480tq version)for another $1,500. it's freshly rebuilt by the company (Road House) that was originally restoring the car.
the guy selling has two storage units full of every part needed to finish this car. actually he has 2-6 of EVERYTHING. it seems he bought out a guy that collected Charger parts. he says i get to go in and pick the best of everything.
the rally-gauge instrument cluster comes with it, as long as ALL trim and badges, a lot of new parts from Year One such as exterior door handles and other options. i get to choose between center consoles, windows, door panels, seats (frames only. no padding or upholstery), shifter bezels, tail lights, driving lights, steering wheels and interior pieces in either aluminum or "wood grain"..you name it.
it also comes with an upgraded 727 A/T with new tq converter.
he assures me the car has enough parts to put together 100% after doing the interior.
Road House was doing the restoration. the car has all body work done and is primered, but i can see a few spots where bondo has been used. i'm told GM did that from the factory? it also seems some may be filler after having the rear quarter panels replaced. this makes sense, as i can see from the inside what looks to be a welded seam above the c-pillar, right where a new panel would be installed. the entire bottom of the care was coated with Rhino lining material to prevent corrosion. the k-member is powdercoated black for the same reasons. all suspension pieces come with the car, along with a rear end with a locking diff.
the interior has all the correct metal, mounting tabs, etc.
the ONLY bad thing i can find is where the rhino lining in the trunk has come up in the middle and there is rust underneath. i'm not sure if they coated over the rust and it lifted the coating?? or did the coat lift and it's rusted since, due to being exposed to weather (car is stored outside). either way, it's only on the surface and an easy fix, if i need to.
there is surface rust here and there, due to the weather. i'm no expert, but it seems in very good shape compared to the other cars i've been shopping.
so.. i'm posting this here and as many other forums as i can think of to get advice and opinions.
i plan to take my friend and his trust bondo-meter out tomorrow to check the body work. i'm told Road House did legit work.

asking price is $10,500 as is or $12,000 with the GOOD engine. absolutely everything else is included. i'm looking to put a deposit down tomorrow, if Kyle gives me the thumbs up.

i can't PUT INTO WORDS how badly and how long i've wanted a '69 charger. i'd be typing all day and still not be able to convey how excited i got when we drove up to this thing. i honestly don't think this project is beyond my means. at first i was a bit nervous.... but after seeing just how few parts i will need to source.. it's a lot less intimidating. my son is stoked on helping as is Amber. we are going to have SO much fun with this thing.

thoughts and opinions?

nvrbdn

awesome starting place on your future rebuild. :2thumbs: welcome and grab the rebuilt motor.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

471_Magnum

That looks scary. :o

Do yourself a favor and take some time to do a LOT of research on these cars before spend that kind of money. Coming here is a good start.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

kaj

Quote from: nvrbdn on March 04, 2011, 07:36:09 PM
awesome starting place on your future rebuild. :2thumbs: welcome and grab the rebuilt motor.

so the motor is a good idea? i wasn't sure how much work would be needed on the freebie to be decent. i also have access to a bare block if i want to build my own.

Quote from: 471_Magnum on March 04, 2011, 07:39:24 PM
That looks scary. :o

Do yourself a favor and take some time to do a LOT of research on these cars before spend that kind of money. Coming here is a good start.

really? because i've been searching for WEEKS to find one with a straight body. i found it hard to find a '69 and IMPOSSIBLE to find a straight one. THIS car is scary? i should post links to the other cars i'm looking at. LOL

i'm pouring all over this site. my eyes burn. i'm tired. haha

kaj

i'd like to add that i am not attempting to restore this car. it will be built in a way that i want. so i'm not worried about things being a specific way. especially seeing how the engine isn't original.

69bronzeT5

The trunk floor rust/flaking looks scary. Also, I noticed it has a '70 driver's door because it has the Chrysler Corporation door vin decal on it....those came out in 1970 I believe.....
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

BIGBLCK11

Def. take a magnet.  The rhino liner coating on the underbody would be great, if you knew for sure what was under it.  It could have been used to cover rust or quick patches.  :shruggy:  The car does look decent in the pics, but hard to gauge from that.  The rear valance corner seams are filled.  Some people do that for the look, but it is a sign of having filler.  Is the other motor additional or instead of?  The six pack would be cool, even better on the 68 engine.  If you are unfamiliar with these cars, you could still run into a number of missing parts on a disassembled car.  But, if you get to pick the best quality parts from multiple selections, that is a BIG plus.  If your references for their work are solid, it could be a good deal.  It is further along than a lot of project cars, assuming it was done right or to a standard you can live with.  :Twocents:

terrible one

Hope this isn't the place that did the work!

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=7708431

Yeah the rear valence corners are really iffy. I'd lean more toward bad metalwork than owner's preference for them being filled. The whole lower quarter body line looks so much more rounded after the wheel well opening than before it! And the trunk . . . that better be BEFORE they touched it!  :eek2:

BTW: Let's move this to Charger discussion!

BIGBLCK11

Quote from: terrible one on March 04, 2011, 08:41:00 PM

YIKES!  Better make sure he has the title and those are his parts you get to pick from, after reading that story.  

If it is the same place and the story is true.

kaj

k. i'll catch up!

the doors are from a '70. not a problem for me, for what i'm doing, but it DOES make a difference as the seller keeps touting the "it's an RT/SE!! they bring in $60 when restored blah blah!". great. but i'm still not going that route with the car. is there any drawbacks to the doors being form a '70??

the trunk scared me as well. i rubbed away some of the rust and it was solid underneath.. but i think i need to count on replacement. worse case scenario.

not knowing what is under the bottom's coating makes me a bit nervous. what IS under it? the place that did the work had a great reputation for doing excellent restorations. well. until things went down hill and they got in trouble. what caused the company to do a 180 is still a mystery.
the car i have was a customers car. he got it back after PD took it. he was so frustrated and out THOUSANDS of dollars (Road House had two of his cars for restoration). he got fed up and sold the car, along with ALL the parts he had collected to the gentleman i am dealing with now.

$10,500 is for the '72 440 engine with the 3x2bl carbs. low power. not a runner. i don't recall what he said it came out of. $12k includes the rebuilt 440 engine which is, indeed the GOOD version.

i went into this not expecting 100% of the parts to be there. 99% of the fun i intend to have is for my son and i to search and source parts, then put them all together. i'd HOPE not all parts are included. LOL. the owner does not actually claim this to be a 100% complete car.

the rear valences look different before and after wheel wells. i'm assuming the quarters were replaced. could that be why? also the reason for the corners being filled? i don't now what the original owner had planned for the car. who knows what his preferences were. i have no way to reach him. :(

as for the trunk floor showing rust before or after? i'm gonna assume the worst and plan to replace.

the title is clear and in current owner's name. as i mentioned above, the car was seized, cleared, then released. nothing stolen. all parts in storage were collected by the previous owner, NOT Road House. so many parts i get to pick and choose from.

taking in mind this is all what i'm TOLD.

so, in everyone's opinion, is it too risky? i'll admit i'm so stupidly excited to have a '69 that i'm a bit blinded by it. i posted here and on a few other forums to get an outsider's point of view. i need to hear opinions from people with clear minds. LOL

THANKS for the info. keep it coming! anyone have any other ideas?

nvrbdn

a good rebuilt motor can actually save you money and work since you can toss the intake from the other motor on there. im assuming that with the extra 1500 you get both motors. the only prob i see is its a he told me that they told him thing. any parts lists for the rebuild?
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

kaj

not both engines. no. i get one or the other. the car will not be running for a year or so.. that's why i didn't worry much about which engine i get.

plans? well. i'm kinda afraid to say 'cause it's a direction most mopar guys don't approve of. LOL. lets just say matching numbers will be of no importance.  :angel: :angel:

greenpigs

I'd keep on looking as 10,5K isn't cheap and the guy may be a flake.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

terrible one

Quote from: greenpigs on March 04, 2011, 11:54:14 PM
I'd keep on looking as 10,5K isn't cheap and the guy may be a flake.

I agree. Plus you already said he's taunting you with the fact that it's an RT/SE, so if you aren't restoring it to original a 318 car in the same or better condition will always be cheaper.

hemigeno

41husk

From reading this it sounds like KAJ has already made up his mind, despite the many concerns posted.  Sometimes we have to make our own mistakes.  As for my view, last year I bought a running driving 69 R/T SE cloned into a Daytona (and nicely done) for about 1/2 of what you will have into that after purchase and repair and it will be years down the road if ever before you can truly enjoy it.  As for the joy of assembly, there is always something to be done on these cars. :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Just 6T9 CHGR

Whats the VIN? is there a fender tag or broadcast sheet to verify what it really is?

10.5 with the rebuilt motor would be my number
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

tatrick2me

Quote from: kaj on March 04, 2011, 09:48:16 PM
k. i'll catch up!

the doors are from a '70. not a problem for me, for what i'm doing, but it DOES make a difference as the seller keeps touting the "it's an RT/SE!! they bring in $60 when restored blah blah!". great. but i'm still not going that route with the car. is there any drawbacks to the doors being form a '70??

the trunk scared me as well. i rubbed away some of the rust and it was solid underneath.. but i think i need to count on replacement. worse case scenario.

not knowing what is under the bottom's coating makes me a bit nervous. what IS under it? the place that did the work had a great reputation for doing excellent restorations. well. until things went down hill and they got in trouble. what caused the company to do a 180 is still a mystery.
the car i have was a customers car. he got it back after PD took it. he was so frustrated and out THOUSANDS of dollars (Road House had two of his cars for restoration). he got fed up and sold the car, along with ALL the parts he had collected to the gentleman i am dealing with now.

$10,500 is for the '72 440 engine with the 3x2bl carbs. low power. not a runner. i don't recall what he said it came out of. $12k includes the rebuilt 440 engine which is, indeed the GOOD version.

i went into this not expecting 100% of the parts to be there. 99% of the fun i intend to have is for my son and i to search and source parts, then put them all together. i'd HOPE not all parts are included. LOL. the owner does not actually claim this to be a 100% complete car.

the rear valences look different before and after wheel wells. i'm assuming the quarters were replaced. could that be why? also the reason for the corners being filled? i don't now what the original owner had planned for the car. who knows what his preferences were. i have no way to reach him. :(

as for the trunk floor showing rust before or after? i'm gonna assume the worst and plan to replace.

the title is clear and in current owner's name. as i mentioned above, the car was seized, cleared, then released. nothing stolen. all parts in storage were collected by the previous owner, NOT Road House. so many parts i get to pick and choose from.

taking in mind this is all what i'm TOLD.

so, in everyone's opinion, is it too risky? i'll admit i'm so stupidly excited to have a '69 that i'm a bit blinded by it. i posted here and on a few other forums to get an outsider's point of view. i need to hear opinions from people with clear minds. LOL

THANKS for the info. keep it coming! anyone have any other ideas?

The rear quarters :smilielol: look round behind the wheels because they are full of bondo. Something happened before the person got finished making the line crisp. You can buy a lot more car than this for the same or a little more money.
Bone 7

jb666

Yeah the rear valence corners are really iffy. I'd lean more toward bad metalwork than owner's preference for them being filled. The whole lower quarter body line looks so much more rounded after the wheel well opening than before it! And the trunk . . . that better be BEFORE they touched it!  :eek2:

Whoah.. That's some scary stuff!!!  :o

kaj

Quote from: 41husk on March 05, 2011, 03:28:53 PM
From reading this it sounds like KAJ has already made up his mind, despite the many concerns posted.  Sometimes we have to make our own mistakes.  As for my view, last year I bought a running driving 69 R/T SE cloned into a Daytona (and nicely done) for about 1/2 of what you will have into that after purchase and repair and it will be years down the road if ever before you can truly enjoy it.  As for the joy of assembly, there is always something to be done on these cars. :Twocents:

From I've read, you assume too much. :-P

VIN checks out. Rust in trunk makes me wonder what is going on under the bottoms coating. Then there is the work done to the quarters.

I'm going a different route until a better 69 comes around. It's gonna be a hot rod. I don't care about trim and matching numbers. Anyone know a good place to look?

69chargerrt440

The rear valence looks to have bondo in it. If theres bondo there theres probably bondo somewhere else. My dad and I have restored many 69 Chargers. I agree to take a magnet and put it anywhere on the body, if it doesn't stick you got a problem.
When your Charger is sideways, just give it more gas!

kaj

Quote from: 69chargerrt440 on March 05, 2011, 06:36:21 PM

The rear valence looks to have bondo in it. If theres bondo there theres probably bondo somewhere else. My dad and I have restored many 69 Chargers. I agree to take a magnet and put it anywhere on the body, if it doesn't stick you got a problem.

I agree. Not buying. Looking for another car. Think you for the input, though. I appreciate it.

69chargerrt440

When your Charger is sideways, just give it more gas!

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

kaj

thank you, guys. my adult sensibilities were screaming at the 12yr old that just wanted the car. haha. i ended up buying an '85 Grand National, some upgrades for it, and then a Honda Civic for a daily driver.

FWIW, i'm still searching for a '69 charger, if i can find a decent. one. i plan to build a General Lee replica (i grew up in the 80s), so the less numbers matching the better. :)

pipeliner

Quote from: 69chargerrt440 on March 05, 2011, 06:36:21 PM

Thats a good idea because nobody on this site owns a Charger with filler in it :lol:

kaj

i kinda figured all older cars HAD to. i'm told they come from GM that way at times and if you have replaced any sheet metal, it HAS to have filler. or i could be wrong. :)

i half expected people to talk me out of it.. then ask me for the guy's number. hahaha.

anyway, i'll keep searching. i'll have a '69 one day!  :cheers:

69charger2002

looks like you made a wise move passing on that car for 10,500. not a steal based on what i'm seeing..
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

kaj

Quote from: 69charger2002 on March 06, 2011, 08:07:39 PM
looks like you made a wise move passing on that car for 10,500. not a steal based on what i'm seeing..

one day i'll have a General Lee just like the one in your signature. :)