News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How else do you check oil pressure readings?

Started by bull, March 04, 2011, 02:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'm thinking about doing something a little different with the extra oil pressure fitting on the back of the engine. Of course I plan on using one for the standard OE sender and gauge but for the other I was thinking about installing a quick disconnect fitting to check my oil pressure against the factory gauge. Sort of a plan B backup just as a safeguard.

I know many of you probably have under dash aftermarket gauges, which is cool, but like I said, I want to try something different. At least in concept. How else do you guys check oil pressure?

Here's a pic of Chris's mysterious setup to start us off.

bull

bull

Does this topic piss you guys off or something?

Dans 68

O.K., I'll bite.  ;)  FWIW I check my actual oil pressure with a mechanical test gauge, which I screw in the port that the oil pressure transducer usually calls home. Takes me no more that 5 minutes to exchange it out and check it, to make sure that my factory dash gauge is actually showing what is happening inside the motor. I only do this to check/calibrate the factory gauge. A quick connect fitting seems a bit overkill. And there is no good reason that you could not tap into the other port and feed a mechanical gauge to under your instrument panel (and above the console) for peace of mind.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bull

Oh cool! A reply. I was starting to get a complex.

Dan, the reason I was thinking quick connect is because of that other unused port on the passenger side (the one Chris apparently has hooked to a secondary gauge above). Why not use it instead of pulling the sender every time? Or are you talking about a different location?

Dans 68

No reason you could not do that, if you don't mind having a quick disconnect fitting hanging off the engine. I imagine they make low profile units that would not be too obtrusive.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bull

Is there another spot that's easier to get to?

Dans 68

I don't believe so. Lets see if anyone else knows, or if you get the one hand clapping treatment....  :D

Dan

bull

I've been getting that for five days already. They'll pound every Richard Cranium topic into the ground in Off Topic but you get crickets when you ask about oil pressure. :slap: At least Dan gives me a few sympathy replies here and there. :2thumbs:

Dans 68

Off topic replies are easy to generate. On topic are not. Just remember your place under the bell curve....   :yesnod:  :2thumbs:  :cheers:

Dan

A383Wing

my 2 cents...a quick disconnect fitting may not be "oil" resistant...it may leak

bull

Quote from: A383Wing on March 09, 2011, 12:09:42 AM
my 2 cents...a quick disconnect fitting may not be "oil" resistant...it may leak

They work on the buses in our fleet where I've measured pressures up to 10 bar/145 psi on the transmissions. And I've seen hydraulic quick disconnect couplings advertised as being rated to handle up to more than 40,000 psi.

I wouldn't need anything this heavy duty but it gives you the idea of where I might be heading: http://www.snap-titequickdisconnects.com/products/high_pressure_couplings/71_series/index.html

Topher

Why not just plumb in an oil pressure gauge in the other port and leave it there? There's plenty of room. Use a brass fitting screwed into the block and then get a small gauge screw it into the block? If you work in a fleet shop you have acceww to good SW gauges.  :coolgleamA:
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

bull

Quote from: Topher on March 09, 2011, 10:20:26 AM
Why not just plumb in an oil pressure gauge in the other port and leave it there? There's plenty of room. Use a brass fitting screwed into the block and then get a small gauge screw it into the block? If you work in a fleet shop you have acceww to good SW gauges.  :coolgleamA:

That's not a bad idea. The only thing I could see wrong with it though is that the gauge would get too hot and weathered to read. Although that probably wouldn't be as much of an issue on my Charger compared to a daily-use vehicle. Not to keep dragging buses into this but inside the engine compartments of our buses we have a temp and oil pressure gauge that get so hot and beat up from vibration, dirt, grease and grime that either you can't see through the phony plastic gauge faces to read them or the whole gauge just falls apart. Even a Charger driven 1,000 miles a year would see a lot of heat, dirt and vibration in that area.

Back N Black

This is the setup i have, the mechanical gauge is hidden in the veh, just another option....... :shruggy:

bull

Quote from: Back N Black on March 09, 2011, 03:18:49 PM
This is the setup i have, the mechanical gauge is hidden in the veh, just another option....... :shruggy:

:2thumbs: And you just run the plastic tube through a random firewall grommet or is the tube somewhat hidden too?

Dans 68

It would be routed through a rubber grommet in the firewall, the exact location left up to you. It should not be difficult to hide it.  :Twocents:

Dan

Just 6T9 CHGR

I have my electric gauges in the same place....didnt want to run oil into the interior
Chris' '69 Charger R/T