News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reproduction Upper Dashpads

Started by BananaDan, March 02, 2011, 01:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BananaDan

I read an old thread on this site about the nightmares about repro dashpads.  It was about 3-4 years old, so I was wondering if anyone has tried any repro dashpads lately?  I was on the phone with Legendary today and the guy actually told me not to order it from him, he said they are no good and will leave a gap on either end b/c they're too short in width.  He said I was best off getting mine redone by someone like Just Dashes.  I also see that B/E & A, PGC, Dante's, Herb's, Year One all carry repro dash pads.

Are they all crap?

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Troy

Only two places manufacture them: Legendary and BE&A. Last time I looked at the BE&A pads I thought they were very nice but I haven't installed one to see if they fit. Legendary would have never told you to try BE&A. I've heard a ton of stories about Just Dashes as well but I don't remember any specific complaints about the upper dash pads (door pads and lower dash pads are never right).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

TXcharger70

I think i got mine from PG classic

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BananaDan

So I made more phone calls yesterday on this subject to Herb's (who carries the BEA pads, same as PGC) and spoke with Bill440RT whose advice I'm going to take.  I am holding off on selling my dashpad for now and I'm going to order one of the BEA pads from BEA, Herb's or PGC etc. and test fit it.  I'll also put it next to my stock one and take detailed measurements side-by-side photos for our forum.

Herb told me that while they did have issues years ago, he has not been aware of any for quite a while.  He said he would gladly take it back if I had an issue, but why not try it to see.  Just Dashes quoted me $400 for a recondition of mine plus $140 round trip S/H which sucks royally when I can get a repop for ~$225 before I beat a vendor up on price.  Herb said he sells a lot of these pads, ~3-4 per month and he couldn't remember the last time he had a customer return one.  Dante told me something similar last week.

So, I'm going to buy a BEA re-pop and if it works, save money.  If not, I'll send mine out for recondition and I won't be out any of the repop money.

Dan

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

macca3441

Dan,

I'm keen to see how it works out for you, as I'm going to head down the same path shortly!
Keep us informed,

Wade

resq302

I was all set to pull the trigger for a new repro dash pad from BEA but after being able to redye mine black, and being tight on money, I couldn't justify myself to buy a new one just to have it be softer than the original.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

gtx6970

This is my one and only experiance with a repop pad. It's for a 1967 Coronet. so it may or may not be releavant to this thread.

It looks great in your hands, but the ends where it curls down . Either the matrial is to thick or the frame is stamped wrong. When you try to bolt it down it buldges up and creates a huge gap that can be seen looking thru the windshield. My guy is not happy with it,Not sure what he's going to do with it, but he has an NOS tan pad and it may be dyed black to go in the car.

I hope BE&A's pads are good. I've just ordered one and should be here in about 4 weeks (They had to make my door pads)

I'll post my experience on the forum too...

BananaDan

Quote from: resq302 on March 03, 2011, 04:22:50 PM
I was all set to pull the trigger for a new repro dash pad from BEA but after being able to redye mine black, and being tight on money, I couldn't justify myself to buy a new one just to have it be softer than the original.

I got my repro, and realize I never posted the detailed pics I said I would (will do that in a bit).  I wanted to let you know the new repro pad isn't real soft, it's a bit hard with a little give, about the same as my original.

Dan

BananaDan

I got my new dash pad from BEA.  I have gotten confirmation from a few people lately that theirs have been great, but I thought I'd put it up against my original and take some close-up pictures so there will be a reference on this forum.

Short story, everyone seems to be right.  It's the correct size, studs match and it looks/feels great.  I'm going to test fit it this weekend and will advise how that goes, but we should be ready to rock and roll with this part.

Dan

BananaDan

More pics.  It looks a "little" different.  If you were a stickler you could probably come up with some shape differences in the order of tenths of an inch.  I think it's top-notch and considering having mine re-done by Just Dashes would have cost me 2.5x the cost of this one, I'm happy.  Again, test-fit is this weekend and I'll advise.

Dan

68pplcharger

About to go through this myself  :popcrn:

resq302

maybe its just a flash but it looks like the underside of the new repro one has wrinkles in the vinyl.  Aside from the center looking like its a little wider and the minor differences in stuff you said, it looks like another great piece from BE/A parts!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

BananaDan

There are a few small wrinkles, and yes I used my small point and click camera so they aren't the best pics, but the back section is hidden anyway.  The exposed parts have no wrinkles or visual defects.

Dan

CornDogsCharger

I'm anxious to see how t fits too.  I recently used a pad from Legendary and was very disappointed with how it fit on the sides next to the A-pillar trim.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

BananaDan

When I was on the phone with Legendary to place my seat cover and door panel order, the guy actually told me "Don't buy our dash pad, they aren't good."  That is what spawned this thread, but I have heard good things about the PGC/BEA pads, and mine looks good.  I'll be installing it in a few weeks.

Dan

tylerk

How about it Dan? Got it installed yet? I'm waiting on you to order mine  :cheers:

BananaDan

Probably another 1-2 weeks.  When I removed my carpet I found a rusty little surprise I had to deal with (surface, not rot).  POR-15 to the rescue, insulation is down, rest of insulation was on back order so carpet is postponed to next weekend.  I'm going to switch gears for this weekend and work on cleaning the dash frame, install my harnesses and maybe my glove box.  I suppose since my column's out I can put the dash pad in after those items are done.  I'm trying to recall to the demo day if it would be in the way for me to install my instrument cluster, dash panels and heater switch.  Would it?  If not, I'll put it in then, it would be easier to get to those studs with everything out of my dash right now.

Dan

Quote from: tylerk on April 06, 2011, 03:43:50 PM
How about it Dan? Got it installed yet? I'm waiting on you to order mine  :cheers:

Woo Hoo, Dans ordering us dashpads.. Count me in, I'm waiting for you to order mine too. I'll take a Tan one :woohoo:

BananaDan

BananaDan

I installed my dashpad today fellas.  It looks good, but you likely want to see it with the A-Pillar moldings installed and I'm probably about 2 weeks from that.  Here's pics.

BananaDan

more dashpad pics