News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My "other" Charger mini rebuild.

Started by doctor4766, February 21, 2011, 06:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctor4766

I'm sure a number of you are familiar with the Australian Charger.
After getting my Dodge on the road a couple of years ago I started to think back to when I was a kid and how a lot of my mates had the Valiant Chargers over here. Never got around to owning one myself at the time but with funds no longer pointed exclusively at the Dodge, I managed to pick up a 1973 Chrysler Valiant Charger (VJ model) a little over a year ago.

She's a 770 model with just two options on the tag.
D20 - 4 speed manual
E33 - 265 inline Hemi 6

Just a couple of pics for now as I gotta head off to work.
So here she is on her way home.

Gotta love a '69

Ghoste

Nice.  There was a sunroof equipped 770 at Columbus a year or two ago.

Cooter

For some reason, those cars always seem to remind me of the Ford Maverick and i just love the small bumper Mavericks... :2thumbs:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Finn

Sweettttt!!! I think the aussie chargers are so cool. :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

LeeBoy

My 68 Charger build http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41318.0.html
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2005 HEMI Ram( totaled with only 27,000 miles on it!), 1977 Power Wagon (Sold), 1977 Plymouth Trailduster, 1974 360 Cuda, 1973 Satellite Sebring Plus, 1973 D200 Adventurer Sport, 1968 Charger (sold), 1965 Dart (sold)

doctor4766

One of the first things we did was to pull the seats and inspect the floors for rust.

Not bad for a car of its age considering they're usually in need of at least some repair I was quite happy.
A good scrubbing and a coat of rustoleum type paint and she looked even better.

Gotta love a '69

bobs66440

Quote from: Cooter on February 21, 2011, 09:03:51 PM
For some reason, those cars always seem to remind me of the Ford Maverick and i just love the small bumper Mavericks... :2thumbs:
The lines are very similar. I like them too.

BTW, those floors are a thing of beauty. It's always a nice surprise when you don't have to do rust repair!

mikesbbody

:2thumbs: I'm guessing the Motor and trans are still with the car? (the shifter is visable in one pic and the front end is not sitting high)

Bob T

Good choice with the Sunfire final colour  in the pic on the other thread :2thumbs: I looked after a mates VJ 770  for a year or so, came with the keys  :icon_smile_big:   fitted with 4 speed in the same blue and it was just a weird colour for a Charger  - never got used to it, looked good with the Star mags and drove nice but had blue interior as well. Must have been some old ginger haired aussie that ordered it for a laugh down at the dealers on his way back from the pub  :smilielol:   had a D342 auto block in it as orig

What are the plans? Just cruise?

Few ones I have looked after for mates next to my old D20 X92 6pk Pacer
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

doctor4766

Quote from: bobs66440 on February 22, 2011, 06:22:57 PM
Quote from: Cooter on February 21, 2011, 09:03:51 PM
The lines are very similar. I like them too.

BTW, those floors are a thing of beauty. It's always a nice surprise when you don't have to do rust repair!
Yeah I'll say.
I got lucky with the Dodge too.
Zero rust anywhere!!
Gotta love a '69

doctor4766

Quote from: mikesbbody on February 22, 2011, 10:35:16 PM
:2thumbs: I'm guessing the Motor and trans are still with the car? (the shifter is visable in one pic and the front end is not sitting high)

Yes I have the motor, albeit non numbers matching and it's out of the earlier VH model, which I'm told is the more desireable motor to have.
I hotwired the car not long after I bought it and it seems to run strong and is quite responsive on the throttle so for now I'm going to just give it a cleanup before splashing out for a rebuild.
Gotta love a '69

doctor4766

Quote from: Bob T on February 23, 2011, 02:56:14 AM
Good choice with the Sunfire final colour  in the pic on the other thread :2thumbs: I looked after a mates VJ 770  for a year or so, came with the keys  :icon_smile_big:   fitted with 4 speed in the same blue and it was just a weird colour for a Charger  - never got used to it, looked good with the Star mags and drove nice but had blue interior as well. Must have been some old ginger haired aussie that ordered it for a laugh down at the dealers on his way back from the pub  :smilielol:   had a D342 auto block in it as orig

What are the plans? Just cruise?

Few ones I have looked after for mates next to my old D20 X92 6pk Pacer
Some nice lookin Vals ther Bob!

I plan to just use this Charger as a cruiser, especially on those days I don't want to park the Dodge up out of site. It attracts more than it's fair share of attention already.
Should be a fun car to have around!
Gotta love a '69

doctor4766

So it didn't take too long before we were into the bodywork.

Found a couple of better doors on the other side of town as mine had quite a bit of bondo in the lower sections and would have probably needed new skins. And at 500 bucks a piece plus shipping that just wasn't gonna happen.

Typically of these Valiants, there were areas in the plenum chamber and behind the door hinges that needed some steel plating to be done.
Unfortunately I don't weld myself but have a number of friends/clients who are panel beaters by trade, who were more than happy to lend a hand.

SO here she is after the repair work up front.

Gotta love a '69

Piston_Freddy

Looks great doc!  :cheers: There should be more non US mopar threads here.Time to time I'll go to FABO and check Brazilian and Mexican mopars there! :scope:
Max rim size:15"

greenpigs

2 Silly questions.

What sort of doctor are you?

Can you send me the Aussie Charger when your done?
:yesnod:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

doctor4766

Quote from: greenpigs on March 09, 2011, 03:17:05 AM
2 Silly questions.

What sort of doctor are you?

Can you send me the Aussie Charger when your done?
:yesnod:
Actually I'm not a real doctor of anything although where I used to work I told some of those gyno jokes once and my bosses started calling me The Doctor. Yeah yeah, long story cut short but it kinda stuck and now I'm Doc to many. And the 4766 part is my birthdate, although we put the day, month then year over here. So I was born on 4th July 1966

And unless you have a fat wallet the car's staying here  :icon_smile_big:
Gotta love a '69

mikesbbody

It's coming along nice  :2thumbs: "I hotwired the car not long after I bought it and it seems to run strong"
I laughed when i read that  :lol: just something funny about Hotwiring your own car  :lol: ;)

doctor4766

Yeah I know lol
It's just that the previous owner had intended to rebuild the car and all the wiring including the ignition had been removed from the car.

So anyway, after a few months of my mate coming by on weekends and after work to make a mess of my workshop she was finally ready to jam in all the non exterior panels.
I was initially looking to go with alpine white as my colour but since I'd always loved sunfire yellow too, it was a hard call.
One of the guys on my local Chrysler forum posted up pics of his E55 Charger and from there on it had to be sunfire all the way.

And here she is off to the spray booth.

Gotta love a '69

doctor4766

Couple of shots in the booth

And after, back at my shop.

A little silver paint on the rear..

Gotta love a '69

bobs66440

G-man

Very nice car Paul.

I used to have a 1972 VH 245ci inline Hemi Charger in Vit C orange. It never looked right to me, i just had to have a dodge. I like the colour you chose. White interior with chrome wheels would look stunning on that colour charger. Seen one done that way and man it was a beauty.

Good job! :2thumbs:

doctor4766

I'm looking to fit some W35 slot mags but maybe go for a 15" version and the interior is a definate black. Kind of over the light coloured seats of the Dodge thus far.
Dash will have the fishscale overlay and she'll be dumped on her arse as low as I can go.
No tripple webers planned at this stage so I'll be looking to fit up a 4bbl.
That and the 4 speed should get her up and moving fine I'm sure.

But who knows?
A warm 340 might be nice one day too.
Gotta love a '69

chargd72

I'm really starting to like these Aussie Chargers.  They look kind of "Demon"ish.   :coolgleamA:

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

doctor4766

Mate I've loved them since I was was a kid.
There's a bit if styling from our beloved Dodge in there too but they're kind of unique in their shape at the same time.
The Charger made up 50% of Chrysler Australia's total car sales at one stage!

Here she is with some more hardware fitted up on the front end.

And some of the vinyl work that I've been tackling of late

Gotta love a '69

bobs66440

I've never seen that before...vinyl on the doors! Different...Cool!