News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 front disc brake q's, advice needed

Started by C500, February 21, 2011, 05:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C500

Folks,

I'm deciding what to do with the front brakes on my 69 C500. They are originally drums. First thing for sure though, I'm definitely converting to discs.

I have an old set of factory Bendix calipers here from a 68 charger. I'm considering getting a rebuilt set from Calipers on line, sending my old cores back:

http://www.calipersonline.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=15

Questions...

Other than rotors and Master Cylinder, what else is required to make the system work from the old drum setup to the factory discs?
Will calipers mount to the front, given I have a sway bar? Not keen to mount the calipers to the rear.
Is the brass junction box the same between disc/drum set ups?
Where can I get a new set of rotors from?
Any major problems with the factory setup, using the re-manufactured Bendix calipers?

Other option is to get a new set from SSBC. I want to run 14 inch wheels occcasionally. I like the idea of having the factory setup, especially with the Stainless sleeves.

Thanks.  :popcrn:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Cooter

Simple....just snag a set up of any 1973-76 A body car..Be sure to get the Prop valve as well off the frame...No BS, just good 'ol factory engineering...

And the best part? most times, they are cheap if in not too bad of condition...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

gtx6970

Power booster and master cylinder should be off a disc brake car, as well as all the prop/distribution/metering valves.

Here is a good pic of what the booster and all the valves look like , and I have more if you need them should you decide to go with the original Bendix stuff

Booster

Valves and lines in the engine compartment

resq302

You are also going to have to change the spindles and dust shields since I believe the spindles are different.  The backing plates are certainly different compared to a drum brake system. 

*If you need a set of spindles and backing plates, let me know, I have an extra pair that I am trying to sell.*
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

C500

Thanks for all the replies guys :cheers:

GTX, the second brass box under the firewall, is that a residual valve, and only for a disc brake car? Do you sell the Bendix stuff?

Resq, can you post a photo or 2 of the spindles and backing plates you have, and how much you're asking please.

Thanks,

Kiwi
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

gtx6970

Quote from: Kiwi68 on February 21, 2011, 04:24:08 PM

GTX, the second brass box under the firewall, is that a residual valve, and only for a disc brake car? Do you sell the Bendix stuff?

Actually I believe it's called a holdoff valve,
yes it's disc brakes only and
No I do not sell bendix brake parts

I do have a rebuilt original disc brake master cylinder, but I'm not to anxious to let go of it just yet( gotta deal in the works and I may need it )

C500

Rick ebooger has some good master cylinders in the for sale section here under someone elses thread, so will probably use those.

What I will need:

Calipers
Master Cylinder
Booster
Distribution/proportioning/metering vavle
Spindles
Dust shields (optional)
Backing plates
Rotors
Residual/holdoff valve
Seals and bearings

:cheers: Kiwi

resq302

Quote from: Kiwi68 on February 21, 2011, 07:08:02 PM
Rick ebooger has some good master cylinders in the for sale section here under someone elses thread, so will probably use those.

What I will need:

Calipers -out there available to be rebuilt
Master Cylinder - I have a spare available for a rebuilt but missing the cap and bail wire
Booster - very hard to find but they are out there
Distribution/proportioning/metering vavle - should be available repro through fine lines or in line tube
Spindles will get pics for you as soon as I dig them out
Dust shields (optional) - optional but also available new repro but I have good used ones
Backing plates - disc brake cars use dust shields
Rotors - -available repro but from what I have seen and heard, have to be machined a bit on the hub area
Residual/holdoff valve- available new through repro such as inline tube or fine lines
Seals and bearings - available new at local autparts stores

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

C500

Quote from: Supercharged Riot on February 21, 2011, 07:19:52 PM
Is hydroboost better?

I'm not having any vacuum problems, so can't see why I would need one. I also want to keep things looking pretty original under there.  ;)

C500

Quote from: resq302 on February 21, 2011, 09:37:20 PM
Quote from: Kiwi68 on February 21, 2011, 07:08:02 PM

What I will need:

Calipers -out there available to be rebuilt
Master Cylinder - I have a spare available for a rebuilt but missing the cap and bail wire
Booster - very hard to find but they are out there
Distribution/proportioning/metering vavle - should be available repro through fine lines or in line tube
Spindles will get pics for you as soon as I dig them out
Dust shields (optional) - optional but also available new repro but I have good used ones
Backing plates - disc brake cars use dust shields
Rotors - -available repro but from what I have seen and heard, have to be machined a bit on the hub area
Residual/holdoff valve- available new through repro such as inline tube or fine lines
Seals and bearings - available new at local autparts stores

Thanks  :2thumbs: The new boosters available from MP and SSBC would do the trick.

resq302

There are new brake boosters out there but they look nothing like the orignals.  Just an FYI.
Brian

C500

Quote from: resq302 on February 22, 2011, 07:10:37 AM
There are new brake boosters out there but they look nothing like the orignals.  Just an FYI.

Cool, do you know who does good ones?

resq302

If you are wanting to keep it looking pretty original.  I know a guy called the Ram man had been talking about possibly reproducing the power disc brake booster for the Bendix units and he had some rebuilt ones at Carlisle.  Might want to look him up and try him.
Brian

C500

Quote from: resq302 on February 22, 2011, 02:29:09 PM
If you are wanting to keep it looking pretty original.  I know a guy called the Ram man had been talking about possibly reproducing the power disc brake booster for the Bendix units and he had some rebuilt ones at Carlisle.  Might want to look him up and try him.

Thanks, just found his stuff on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POWER-BRAKE-KIT-BENDIX-66-70-B-BODY-COMPLETE-/390252626376?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5adcde81c8

I would like to keep it factory, but cost is going to be a factor  :)

resq302

Well, my charger came equipped with factory disc brakes.  However, someone over the years changed them out to the later style single large piston.  I had the correct booster but I needed all of the other stuff.  Getting the stuff was hard as hell to do but I eventually pieced it all together one small piece at a time and when I could afford it got spares of it all.  Now that I have at least one of everything for the "just in case" should happen the day or so before a show.

PS- you might want to contact Wayne directly as I think his prices were a lot cheaper out in Carlisle.  Prices might be higher on Ebay due to the fees and such!
Brian

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

pipeliner

$750 for a PDB booster and cylinder?That seems high to me but hell everything else does now a days.

gasoline_24

I have a booster and master cylinder that I installed on my car that was rebuilt.  I believe I bought it from lilwendel on here.  It would not work on my car because of vacuum issues.  I paid $350 for it and would sell it for that plus shipping if you are interested.  I could send some pics if you need more.  Here is one of it in my car.  It could use another paint since some of the screws got knicked up during the uninstall.  This isn't a great pic, but it is all I have on here right now.  I can take some pics of it tomorrow if you are interested.

gasoline_24

Here are some more pics

gasoline_24

Here are a couple more.

C500

Thanks for posting the pics, I'll send a PM tomorrow.

Cheers

resq302

Finally, after digging through all of the mess of parts in my basement I found em! :2thumbs:  If you want them, $150 plus shipping.  I will even clean them up and paint them back to the original colors for you so they are nice and pretty when they go on your car.
Brian

C500

Thanks for digging those out Brian and posting. I'm still sourcing everything, and will let you guys know in the next couple of days.  :cheers:

C500

PM's sent guys  :2thumbs:  :popcrn:

Alright, one more question...... if anyone has one and knows how effective a rebuilt Bendix setup is, please post your comments.