News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any further word on the Passon 5 speed?

Started by Ghoste, February 20, 2011, 09:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

It seems like it's been near to release for some time now, anyone have anything new?  Their website doesn't seem to say anything about it.

red79

I've been following the thread on moparts about it. Last word was on Feb 04 when Jamie Passon mentioned that there was a growing waiting list...

All I can find is the original estimated 'Late Spring Availability'

RallyeMike

FYI The new Mopar Action has a write-up several pages long.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Ghoste

madmike

I think the write-up in Mopar Action also mentioned that the only five speeds currently available would only fit in the A-bodies, and that the ones for B-bodies will be out soon...

I'm pretty sure I read that in there...

Mike

red79

Passon said previously that out of the initial run of 100 units, they would break up the tailshafts evenly between A, B, and E bodies.

I don't know if one will be available before the other though

66FBCharger

'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Troy

$4,300 I think. That includes the shifter.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

c00nhunterjoe

There is nothing in the article about price. As for the a body trans, they made that for the proof models since it was the tightest fit. The article is really good with side by sides of the 833. The new 855 is huge internally comparitivly speaking. 4300 is about 3000 above my budget for a tranny so I will stick to grabbing 4 gears for now

tricky lugnuts

It seems to be out there, it looks to be awesome and it's going to be way too expensive for me.

But maybe someday!

Don't mean to change the subject, but for those of you with four speed cars looking to go to a five speed (I'm still waiting on my auto-manual conversion) why not just go with something like this:

http://www.passonperformance.com/images/stories/passon_documents/Passon_Overdrive_Flyer_20091109.pdf

It's like half the price of the five speed transmission. It's a four speed with overdrive, and still bolts in and looks like a factory original four speed transmission. Also sounds pretty awesome to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

Troy

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on February 21, 2011, 04:53:56 PM
There is nothing in the article about price. As for the a body trans, they made that for the proof models since it was the tightest fit. The article is really good with side by sides of the 833. The new 855 is huge internally comparitivly speaking. 4300 is about 3000 above my budget for a tranny so I will stick to grabbing 4 gears for now
Actually, Jamie said they made the A-body first since that's what they had in the shop for test fitting. I haven't read the article. The price is $4,295 (see above). Jamie says his cost is $3,865 so I doubt you'll be seeing any deep discounts.

Quote from: tricky lugnuts on February 22, 2011, 03:41:07 AM
It seems to be out there, it looks to be awesome and it's going to be way too expensive for me.

But maybe someday!

Don't mean to change the subject, but for those of you with four speed cars looking to go to a five speed (I'm still waiting on my auto-manual conversion) why not just go with something like this:

http://www.passonperformance.com/images/stories/passon_documents/Passon_Overdrive_Flyer_20091109.pdf

It's like half the price of the five speed transmission. It's a four speed with overdrive, and still bolts in and looks like a factory original four speed transmission. Also sounds pretty awesome to me, but maybe I'm missing something.
You get a better gear spread with more gears. Also, if you compare the numbers... the 4-speed overdrive unit is just the gear set for $1,800. I happen to have a spare case or two so that's no big deal for me. But, if you want a drop-in unit like the 5-speed you'll pay $3,000 and you'll still need a shifter ($100-200 depending). Not quite half price when compared equally. Both are nice because there are no body or other drive train modifications so, if you have a factory 4-speed car, you can get overdrive without compromising. The 4-speed will look exactly like factory since it uses the standard case. The 5-speed will be noticeable - if someone can get under your car far enough! I believe both use stock clutches so the swap is probably the easiest by leaps and bounds. I'm definitely looking into one or both (I have three 4-speed cars and I like to drive on the highway).

Troy

66FBCharger

What do the shifters look like?
Is Jamie making an 18 spline as well as a fine spline?
Sounds great! It would make it easy to actually drive a 4.10 geared car a lot more.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

Troy

Quote from: 66FBCharger on February 22, 2011, 12:02:17 PM
What do the shifters look like?
Is Jamie making an 18 spline as well as a fine spline?
Sounds great! It would make it easy to actually drive a 4.10 geared car a lot more.
The shifter that comes with it is a custom Hurst "box" and rods. It will accept the standard shifter handles.

Only 18 spline. Jamie said: "If we do that, we are going to lower the torque capacity of the trans significantly. It just doesn't make sense to spend more money to tool up for a weaker design."

The cost is also too high for a bunch of custom variables (people were asking for all sorts of race modifications etc.). Considering there are three tail shafts and two bearing diameters that's already six combinations.

The OD ratio is .70 so that makes your 4.10 into a 2.87 - and if you're running 28" tires like most of us it's more like 2.64.

Troy

RallyeMike

QuoteDon't mean to change the subject, but for those of you with four speed cars looking to go to a five speed (I'm still waiting on my auto-manual conversion) why not just go with something like this:

You are getting what you pay for. It's a THREE speed with an overdrive. It still has a big gear spread, just a little better spaced than the original AOD833s. The close ratio of the original 4-speed 833 or a five speed is a key element of what is desired by people looking to row through a close ratio AND have OD for the highway.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

mikesbbody

Jamie at passon got a lot of heat over at moparts regarding the price but I say you get what you pay for! American made, no cutting (if your Car's already a 4 speed) etc. If your Car's a Auto and you want to swap it this is what i would do (if i had the $ which I don't  :icon_smile_dissapprove:) but if I had a 4 speed, I'd probably leave it as is  :Twocents:

Ghoste

Considering what you get and that you don't have the headaches of some other units, I don't find the price out of line at all.  I am hoping my next car has threee(sic) pedals and if so I will certainly be getting one of these Passon trannys.

c00nhunterjoe

I am not complaining about the price he is charging, just my lack of money to pay for it. After reading the article this month and seeing the breakdown pics its worth the money

Iron Chef

Thought I'd resurrect this thread to let everyone know that I spoke with Jamie Passon a few days ago and put myself on the list for one of his new 5-speeds.  He told me it's going to be about 4 months...he's having issues with suppliers...which is fine...I'm in no hurry.  Based on early release testing, this is going to be one stout unit, built in the USA.  I'm all for it.  It'll work perfectly in my '71.

Quote from: Ghoste on February 23, 2011, 07:25:59 AM
Considering what you get and that you don't have the headaches of some other units, I don't find the price out of line at all.  I am hoping my next car has threee(sic) pedals and if so I will certainly be getting one of these Passon trannys.

I agree 100%.  I've seen people on this site (and others) spend thousands upon thousands of dollars in bodywork to resurrect some old rustbucket Charger and make it streetworthy again without a complaint.  If that's what someone wants to do, more power to 'em. I'd much rather take a car that's in better structural shape and restore it with quality parts.  Just seems like a more cost-effective way to go.
Most of your life should be "off the record."

Chatt69chgr

I'm on the list to get one.  In fact, I think I am something like #50.  I will admit that I have wondered about parts availability in the future in case Passon were, for whatever reason, to go out of business.  Right now, I'm still planning on pulling the trigger on one of these as soon as they are available.

Iron Chef

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on December 12, 2011, 03:58:36 PM
I'm on the list to get one.  In fact, I think I am something like #50.  I will admit that I have wondered about parts availability in the future in case Passon were, for whatever reason, to go out of business.  Right now, I'm still planning on pulling the trigger on one of these as soon as they are available.

I share your concern, but that could conceivably be said about most of the suppliers we deal with.  Most of them are small companies and/or startups that could go belly-up at any time.  Such is the life of a Mopar fanatic.  :lol:

Sometimes it's a crap shoot, but I'm willing to put my confidence in this company.  :cheers:
Most of your life should be "off the record."

Chatt69chgr

Well, lets hope that these really make it to market.  I talked to Passon a month or two ago and he said that if he didn't have so much invested in this venture that he would have dropped the whole thing by now. 

Ghoste

Not his fault, but the timing for it coming to market wasn't great.

66FBCharger

Has anyone received and installed one of these transmissions in their car? What is your impression of this transmission. Is it quiet, shift smooth? Any feedback is appreciated.

oldschool

Quote from: 66FBCharger on December 13, 2011, 08:45:48 AM
Has anyone received and installed one of these transmissions in their car? What is your impression of this transmission. Is it quiet, shift smooth? Any feedback is appreciated.
if you go back to the top of the post and read it, you will see theese are not available yet......
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

66FBCharger

Quote from: oldschool on December 13, 2011, 06:20:33 PM
Quote from: 66FBCharger on December 13, 2011, 08:45:48 AM
if you go back to the top of the post and read it, you will see theese are not available yet......
The posts at the top were from Feb 2011. The estimated date they would be available was late spring. I figured that being it is late fall, that some transmissions were out there and installed already.

Ghoste

They definitely had them on display at the Mopar Nationals in August.

Cooter

At like $4K all said and done, I wouldn't look for too many to be sold and installed just yet.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Troy

As far as I know, there have been some issues with getting the parts actually made. Not sure if that has to do with scheduling or whatever. I'm sure - like most other businesses - the big customers always get moved to the front of the line so there never seems to be any time for small part runs. I think at one point Jamie was even considering using a different supplier but didn't want to start all over (expectations and whatnot).

There was another issue with the porosity in the tail shaft housing. This isn't unique to this particular product but it did cause some rework.

I can't think of any (decent) Mopar part that has ever been available when expected. Even guys who have the "fast track" routinely run into delays.

I also saw that Jamie mangled the test car (or one of the test cars) and had to completely rebuild it. He didn't wreck, just twisted it from hard launches - but the trans held together fine. I doubt I'll be abusing one like that.

Quote from: Cooter on December 14, 2011, 07:56:31 AM
At like $4K all said and done, I wouldn't look for too many to be sold and installed just yet.
You'd be surprised...

Troy

66FBCharger

Any updates on the availibility of the Passon 5 speed?

Troy

Last I heard they were expecting production to start in May and to be caught up with the pre-orders by mid-June or July. I haven't got an "official" word since the Indy show though (March?).

Troy

BrianShaughnessy

Ehrenberg chatted with Jamie on Saturday at Maple Grove while I was meandering around.      Something about some part shortages of some vendor parts like a bearing and shifter parts.   

There's a good sized back log of pre orders but Jamie hasn't taken a dime until he gets things going. 

I don't want to quote anything for sure but he had a few on display.  The flier said 650 ft lbs, etc.    Seems like  a nice short throw on the E body unit he had a shifter on. 

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Troy

They were waiting on bearings.

The last pre-order number I saw was 128 (April?).

Shifter throw on one I saw was about 3.5". I think it may have been an A-body. No bashing your hand into the dash with that!

Troy

BrianShaughnessy

Don't quote me but I think he said 159.     He's hoping "most" of those are still good when it's soup.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Chryco Psycho

SnoPro440

I'm on the waiting list and sure hope it's not too much longer before they are released.
2008 Viper SRT-10
1968 Charger R/T
2019 Rubicon JLU

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: SnoPro440 on June 14, 2012, 01:29:13 PM
I'm on the waiting list and sure hope it's not too much longer before they are released.

did you get it yet?  I heard now its a  year and half and up to 2 years  ;D

Chargerguy74

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on October 11, 2015, 09:47:29 PM

Up to 2 years wait!?!?
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Chargerguy74 on October 11, 2015, 09:49:57 PM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on October 11, 2015, 09:47:29 PM

Up to 2 years wait!?!?

yeah...if not MORE now.....some people still have not gotten heirs yet and ordered one back in 2012 and 2013 time frame and still no 5 speed....a few lucky folks got them, but they ordered immediately in 2011 and got theirs in 2013 and 2014 timeframe  :icon_smile_big: I really want one...I can wait 2 years..hell my 871 blower is taking 8 months now and still no word.

Chargerguy74

Wow, and here I thought I'd just go and pick one up. Sorry OD 4 speed, looks like there's no relief in sight.
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

fy469rtse

:shruggy: have a look at Mc Cloud racing 5 speed better fit no cutting ,
Only problem is the speedo exit , stil needs longer C body speedo cable used and right angle fitting at trans

Ghoste

Shouldn't be any cutting with the Passon one either.

66FBCharger

Passon's 5 speed transmissions are supposed to be a direct bolt in. No change to the bellhousing, shifter location or driveshaft. The only difference from an A833 I saw is the speedo cable comes out on the passenger side requiring a longer cable, which is included with the transmission.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: fy469rtse on October 13, 2015, 05:31:26 AM
:shruggy: have a look at Mc Cloud racing 5 speed better fit no cutting ,
Only problem is the speedo exit , stil needs longer C body speedo cable used and right angle fitting at trans

really?  there is no cutting on the passon of course....just need to replace my clutch to 18 spline which I would have a hard time doing.....lmao....