News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Unpopularity of 3rd Gen Chargers, particularly post 71

Started by 64dartgt, February 20, 2011, 11:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargerjy9

"yeah, you're thin skinned, I was playing with ya ;-)
read my sig, i'll wait " 

yeah, I kinda figured that. but I also like to stir the pot a bit, good for discourse

1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

Brock Lee

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 10, 2011, 02:20:26 PM
Too rounded ? Maybe you drive a Scion box car, or maybe a Cube.  :smilielol:

New cars are "appliances" to me. I just bought a Challenger. I prefer the looks of my 1969 Charger to it. But I also prefer the looks of my Charger over the 70's Challengers and Cudas as well.

jaak

Ive had both, still have a 2nd and 3rd gen. IMHO, I do have to rank the 2nd gen higher when it comes to exterior styling. But interior its 3rd gen hands down, nicer interior, more comfortable. I also think a 3rd gen handles/drives better. Some one mentioned in an earlier post about after you have one (a 3rd gen), you got to have another. That was the case with me, I bought a '72 a few years ago, and after I sold it I missed it....wound up getting the 73 to have another!

Jason

Brock Samson

My experience was different, i much prefer my '69 R/T SE to the '71 340 road runner I owned for four years,.. I like the style of the '71 plymouths because of the loop bumper and curved front fenders (on top) where the charger's front i didn't like so much,. I loved the RR's transverse stripe over the roof too... the rear wasn't so handsome as the front, and certainly nowhere near as nice as the '68-'70s butt.
Inside My second Gen's. Dash and general layout i much prefer. it's more square inside, and lacks some of the organic curves of the Third, but I prefer it, It seems to have more content, overall and a lot less plastic. hard to compare a small block 340 to the 440, but the 340 seemed to be peakier performance wise and better balanced with less weight up front. as I've allready stated I'm no fan of the frameless front windows.
I'm sure a better comparo would be to have a '71 R/T/SE Charger to compare - but I still feel I'd prefer a second Gen. but, since that's the car I allways have wanted, I'm probably prejudiced to seconds anyhow,.. I wanted a '71 RR since they first came out too,.. but now having had both, I'd have to say all things being equal I'd much rather have a second Gen Charger than a Third. R/T SE, Road Runner, full tilt GTX or a Super Bee. I wouldn't kick a well optioned third out of bed for eating crackers as long as it was a '71, after '72 I don't much care for any of them, though do see some fantastic restos and modded ones here on this site...  :shruggy:
I think that's probably because I'm older at nearly 54 now and set in my ways despite my best efforts..

Paul G

Back when I had my 73, I was waiting at a red light one time and this guy pulls up in the lane next to me and says "that is a very sexy car". People constantly comment about our cars, how nice, used to have one just like it, etc. I think the 73's and 74's are very sexy looking cars, more so even than the 71's and 72's. Just my opinion. When I grow tired of the 72. The next one might be another 73 or 74, or a 71 or 72 Plymouth B body.

Rereading the OP's post actually makes me glad a little that the prices for 3rd gens are not extraordinarily high like, E bodys, and 2nd gen B body's are. I get to enjoy much more car for much less money. And If you think about it, DOH and the Gen Lee are probably what started the craze for the 2nd gen anyway. Glad they didn't use a 71!   
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

The70RT

And If you think about it, DOH and the Gen Lee are probably what started the craze for the 2nd gen anyway. Glad they didn't use a 71!   
[/quote]

I wouldn't go that far  :rotz: .... you must not have read the GL posts on here.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Khyron

Quote from: chargerjy9 on March 10, 2011, 03:07:03 PM

yeah, I kinda figured that. but I also like to stir the pot a bit, good for discourse

:D

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

ACUDANUT

" I think the 73's and 74's are very sexy looking cars, more so even than the 71's and 72's. Just my opinion. "
You must be joking, or smoking crack.
Yea, who likes those 71-72 with the better roof lines, hidden headlights, louvered doors, louvered tailights and the power bulge hood.  :lol:

Paul G

Quote from: The70RT on March 11, 2011, 10:27:54 AM
And If you think about it, DOH and the Gen Lee are probably what started the craze for the 2nd gen anyway. Glad they didn't use a 71!   

I wouldn't go that far  :rotz: .... you must not have read the GL posts on here.
[/quote]

You mean GL's are not that popular on this forum? (sarcasm) The Gen lee brought the car out to the viewing public which is what made it popular. The General was a super hero. Who couldnt love it, way back then. I'll assume not to many on here remember the show in prime time. (I do) Forward to today and I would not own one. Just doesnt do anything for me. But a 3rd gen..... gives me a warm and fuzzy!
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

Paul G

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 11, 2011, 10:34:19 AM
" I think the 73's and 74's are very sexy looking cars, more so even than the 71's and 72's. Just my opinion. "
You must be joking, or smoking crack.
Yea, who likes those 71-72 with the better roof lines, hidden headlights, louvered doors, louvered tailights and the power bulge hood.  :lol:

1973 Rallye. A very sexy car. My favorite! Kicking myself square in the AZZ for selling it!

1972 with the cool flip up headlights. Gotta love em.

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Paul G

Quote from: greenpigs on March 11, 2011, 08:15:01 PM
:slap: Paul G

That is a nice Charger or was. :slap:

I sold it several years ago to a forum member in Texas. Last I heard he was selling to a guy in Rio De Janeiro. Kind of makes me sick to think it left the USA.

stuga

I purchase her in 91 as a daily driver and ended up hitting a deer on the way to work in 95.  I'm pleased the way she came out looking after my son and I did a 3 year restoration together and finished her last summer. 1973 SE Broughman 400 auto, matching engine was gone before I purchased her, so we make her look the way we wanted with the best parts we could find and afford from the 3 gen charger group.

Richard Cranium

Quote from: 67440chrg on February 23, 2011, 12:54:48 PM
....some how I feel like a red headed step child.

No, you're the blue headed punk rocker with a huge boyle on your nose.    :D

I am Dr. Remulac

DustinSimmonds

Quote from: stuga on March 12, 2011, 07:20:52 AM
I purchase her in 91 as a daily driver and ended up hitting a deer on the way to work in 95.  I'm pleased the way she came out looking after my son and I did a 3 year restoration together and finished her last summer. 1973 SE Broughman 400 auto, matching engine was gone before I purchased her, so we make her look the way we wanted with the best parts we could find and afford from the 3 gen charger group.
That is a beautiful car! You and your son did an amazing job! Bravo!
P.S. I'm putting together a '72, where did you get your parts exactly?  :scratchchin:

Aussie R/T

Quote from: chargerjy9 on February 21, 2011, 02:55:33 PM
In fact 73 WAS the best selling year, over 160,000 I believe. My 73 SE is dark Gold Metallic with a white vinyl roof and Honey Gold interior. I think that soon you will see many different interior colors like in those days,not just gray,black or tan.
Yes I was a clay sculptor for 35 years, I worked for Chrysler, AMC, White Motors and Larry Shinoda ( Boss Mustang, etc). I love any and all Chargers (1st thru 3rd gens) I love my 73 SE for the reasons stated in my post above, But IMO the best styled cars, which still stands up today are the 68-70 Charger, and 68-70 AMX, those cars are pinnacles of styling excellence, perfection in stance,proportion, surface developement. they look fast just standing still. As a clay sculptor, I worked on many interesting projects, some wacky ones ( a 3 wheeled compact car designed by White trucks, 1974, came to mind )

so tell me what you think of the Aussie Chargers.The amarante {red} charger is a a genuine white knight and orange one is a genuine R/T E38 small tank.

Aussie R/T

this is a genuine Magenta R/T

Hud

All of these 3rd Generations, and talk made me finally pull mine out of the garage.  Its one of those days in NC where its that perfect temp, not hot, not cold...  Every time I pull my 73' out of the garage I have a blast.  Its a mixed feeling of disdain for not having the funds to work on it more at the current moment, grief that I will be leaving it behind for a year, but an incomparable thrill from pulling up next to a new Charger if you even want to call those things Chargers.... and having the owner of the family car look at you like that's what I really wanted... 

I like 2nd Gens the best, but cant afford one on military pay, 3rd Gens next, and I would probably go with some Plymouth before first Gens; though I must say some of the people on this Forum have some pretty impressive first Gens.  The only thing that I would ever let this car go for would be salvageable 68, but that's never going to happen.  One of my buddies who is currently in Afghan has a 73 as well, but his is a SE and we plan on making a Charger club.  There are 6 3rd Gens in my USMC town that I know of that can actually be driven. The only problem is that none of us are ever around at the same time, he will be getting back from Afghan while I am in Korea, and one of my other buddies will be in Libya... One of these days I will try to get them all together and take a pic to send in to show some of you old farts that there are still some younger guys out there that truly appreciate real Mopar.
1971 Plymouth Barracuda, 1973 Jeep CJ6, 2011 Chevy Silverado LTZ, 2012, 2012 Harley Davidson Street-Bob, Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

bull

I'm ok with the body style of the third gens but the interiors, particularly in the latter years, just make me cringe. I like understated styles and colors of interiors and in the mid to late 70s it was all about plush, diamond tuck, poofiness and plaid.

Also, I don't want to step on any toes but I think the 71-71 Roadrunners and GTXs are much better looking than the 71-74 Chargers. But then IMO the 73-74 Roadrunners look like crap.

Hud

I am a big fan of the 71 RR and GTX!  But the truth of the matter is, that the front end change is starting to grow in popularity especially in the roadrunners.  The same thing goes for the latter year Chargers.  I think it is due to a couple reasons...  I think its because the box style mopars are getting not only harder to find in at a reasonable price range for someone to toy with but also in decent condition.  Most people my age cant afford to get into mopar unless they have hand me downs or rats nests. 

The only reason I can afford my 73 is because of steady income from being military for over 8 years to counter the weak economy.  Still I cant afford a 68 project (my dream car) when they are going for as much as they are needing so much work.  Im not saying we have to settle but in a way we have to... beyond that when the only thing you can find, that you can also afford happens to be slightly different you start to appreciate the differences and in the end whether everyone is satisfied with where mopar was going on the B-Bodies is really irrelevant.  I feel this way because the truth of the matter is whether you are a old tycoon that can afford a sexy beast or a young enthusiast, when you start getting into the nuts and bolts of a mopar the design has little  to do with the enjoyment.  When I was shopping for a Charger I didnt want to go beyond a 71, but the 73 fell in my lap for a price that I could not refuse.  A 440 in a 73 from the time of the gas crunch alone made me excited enough to jump on the deal.  After having it a while the discontent I originally felt for having never find that 68 started to fade, especially when my foot eases down on that gas pedal. 

Dont get me wrong I still want a 68, if I ever luck into one but I dont think I will be getting rid of my 73 unless it has something to do with me getting closer to that goal.  I suppose in the end Ill be just another guy that gets my dream car when I am too old to truly enjoy it.  maybe if I have kids they can.
1971 Plymouth Barracuda, 1973 Jeep CJ6, 2011 Chevy Silverado LTZ, 2012, 2012 Harley Davidson Street-Bob, Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

chargerjy9

Quote from: Aussie R/T on March 17, 2011, 06:14:40 AM
In fact 73 WAS the best selling year, over 160,000 I believe. My 73 SE is dark Gold Metallic with a white vinyl roof and Honey Gold interior. I think that soon you will see many different interior colors like in those days,not just gray,black or tan.
Yes I was a clay sculptor for 35 years, I worked for Chrysler, AMC, White Motors and Larry Shinoda ( Boss Mustang, etc). I love any and all Chargers (1st thru 3rd gens) I love my 73 SE for the reasons stated in my post above, But IMO the best styled cars, which still stands up today are the 68-70 Charger, and 68-70 AMX, those cars are pinnacles of styling excellence, perfection in stance,proportion, surface developement. they look fast just standing still. As a clay sculptor, I worked on many interesting projects, some wacky ones ( a 3 wheeled compact car designed by White trucks, 1974, came to mind )

so tell me what you think of the Aussie Chargers.The amarante {red} charger is a a genuine white knight and orange one is a genuine R/T E38 small tank.

I have only seen photos, not very good ones at that, have never seen the car in person. I wish I did, but I don't know enough about the Aussie Charger to have an opinion

1977 AMC Pacer original

Aussie R/T

Quote from: chargerjy9 on March 17, 2011, 08:47:59 PM
Quote from: Aussie R/T on March 17, 2011, 06:14:40 AM

I have only seen photos, not very good ones at that, have never seen the car in person. I wish I did, but I don't know enough about the Aussie Charger to have an opinion

Yea they seem to fly under the radar over the ditch I used to own an R/T E38 Bigtank and sold it for a 70 Dodge charger R/T in FK5 but the car needed restoring and it hasn't been a happy time so wish I had never sold it.We all wish that I suppose but I couldn't afford both ATT.

Here's my E38
the 70 is my avitar

chargerjy9

thats a good photo. cool... I'm trying to get a feel for the size, (wheel base, OAL, etc.)  drive train. what year is the car in the photo?
1977 AMC Pacer original

ACUDANUT

Can't you guys in OZ get a real Charger over there.  :icon_smile_big: :cheers:

Brock Samson