News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Unpopularity of 3rd Gen Chargers, particularly post 71

Started by 64dartgt, February 20, 2011, 11:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

67440chrg

DustinSimmonds

Quote from: MRHWS on March 01, 2011, 09:14:44 PM
Quote from: DustinSimmonds on February 28, 2011, 02:58:44 AM
Quote from: MRHWS on February 26, 2011, 11:38:10 PM
I love both of my 3rd gens. And for those who want to throw a dig, I love my SRT8 too. I know I know, it has 4 doors. They don't sell $.30 a gallon gas any more either, so at the time, it was the badest daily driver Mopar I could get.   
Do my eyes dis-eve me or is your 3rd gen have no roof?
Just the angle....

Ah, I see. I've never really thought about it but the 73-74 would actually look really nice with T-tops! I'm a lover of all the variations of Charger! I own a 72 SE which is my favorite, but I find myself wanting a 2nd gen and a late 3rd gen!  :popcrn:

ACUDANUT

I have wanting to see some pic's of a 3rd gen with T-Tops.  :2thumbs:

Wicked72

I love all REAL chargers (the ones with 2 doors)! But a 3rd gen just did it for me  :2thumbs:
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

mikesbbody

Quote from: Wicked72 on March 05, 2011, 10:02:42 AM
I love all REAL chargers (the ones with 2 doors)! But a 3rd gen just did it for me  :2thumbs:

X2!  :2thumbs:

64dartgt

T-tops would be cool on a 3rd gen.  One of the reasons I bought my 73 was the factory sunroof.  It is pretty rare to find a non-SE Charger with a sunroof, AC and power windows and I love the blue interior and console shifter.  I like Magnum 500's too.  I have small bolt rally wheels on my 64 Dart and will change to Magnums in a heartbeat when I change it over to the large bolt pattern.  That will look sweet.  Then I can buy a nice set of aftermarket rally 500's for the Charger.  Think my Wife will notice?   :drool5:

DustinSimmonds

Hmmm, maybe we should all go out and get a 73-74 Charger and give them T-tops!  :coolgleamA:

64dartgt

The70RT

I would own one if it was the right one. It would be cool to do a RP paint scheme on one. I read through the thread didn't see a reason I figured someone would mention. I would think a lot of people would have gotten a second gen if they had the choice or chance? The price deters most from a 2ed gen and a 3rd gen is more plentiful. When I got my RT in 78 my neighbor had a 73 or 74 third gen and always sat in his drive way and reved it up and would look over like I was suppose to be intimidated. He eventually got tired of all the burnouts because when I started mine he went inside.... ever since then I never really cared for them that much for them  :lol:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

irish_in_ny

I own a 1973 Dodge Charger SE Brougham with a 318 that I am trying to keep as stock as possible and I have always loved the 3rd generation Chargers over all others. I am 21 and just really drew fondness to the 3rd gens, they are just more of a driver friendly car in my opinion, nice and comfortable. I love the opera windows, the console, just the overall look. I'd have to say my rankings when it comes to favourite Charger generations are:

1) 3rd gen
2) 4th gen (I know that is an uncommon favourite haha)
3) 2nd gen
4) 1st gen

The photo is of my '73 charger SE.

DustinSimmonds

Its actually really cool to see someone who appreciates the 4th gens. My cousin owns a 4th gen and he loves it to death! I don't always think people get 3rd gens because they are cheaper, I got my 72 because I like it more then all the other models.

ChargerSG

Besides the 68-70, I like the 71 and 72, but the 73-74 dosent look as good :rotz: But you can build good looking ones of the 73-74, and a engine swap is allways good for a clone :icon_smile_big:
The first gen isent my cup of tea but they are better than the 4 gen :D
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

The70RT

4th & 5th gen shouldn't even be allowed to be called a Charger. Their actually just a Cordoba & an Omni....to me.

Paul G

Chevy introduced the Monte Carlo in 1970. The Monte was marketed as a personal luxury vehicle. Other company's followed suit.

In 1971 Chrysler went in a new direction with Charger. They stepped it up and made it closer to a personal luxury vehicle. More room, nicer ride, more options. I think they went in the right direction. 1975 went even further with the luxury theme when they brought out the Cordoba. Still a B body underneath. 

The 70's got a bad rap for killing HP and dealing with smog. I still prefer the 3rd gens over all the other ones. Personal preference and I just like big cars.   
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Khyron

Quote from: chargerjy9 on February 21, 2011, 07:38:24 PM
what else do I need. IMO 500 hp behemoths are overrated, who uses it. bragging rights? mine is bigger than yours? so what.

mine *IS* bigger then yours :nana:

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Brock Samson

Now, now, play nice,.. not everyone is into performance or power.  :smilielol: Some just like to have the opera windows.  :shruggy:
  BTW:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,14361.0.html

Khyron

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

DustinSimmonds

I actually found that thread to be really interesting, its a shame it didn't carry on longer.  :rotz:

chargerjy9

Quote from: Khyron on March 09, 2011, 10:10:28 AM
Quote from: chargerjy9 on February 21, 2011, 07:38:24 PM
what else do I need. IMO 500 hp behemoths are overrated, who uses it. bragging rights? mine is bigger than yours? so what.

mine *IS* bigger then yours :nana:
Now, now, play nice,.. not everyone is into performance or power.   Some just like to have the opera windows.

man, you guys are brutal. ya won't let up.(or maybe I'm thin skinned). OK  say my car's 0 to 60 is 7+ seconds, your's is what; 6 seconds, or a little less? OK you win. in the big picture, I just don't see all the fuss over a small snipet of time. My 73 is big, sexy looking, luxurious for the time and fast enough. and yes I do like the opera windows on my SE. back in the day they were distinctive and set the car apart from others. I had one, brand new, as a young guy, and sitting in that car (my 1st new) with it's white bucket seats, power windows, A/C and sweet burble coming from the exhausts, I thought that I was on top. Still do with my current SE. Oh, I just purchased a 77 AMC Pacer, from the original owner, show room condition original with 30 K miles. It ain't no hot rod, for sure, but talk about distinctive. both my cars were statements for the times. I drove and worked on them, so they are meaningful to me, that's what counts in my book. Let me have it for that one, i can take it.  

1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

The70RT

Brock Samson

Do a search they been slammed on here for years... they were supposed to use GM's wankel ya' know?..  :P

Khyron

Quote from: chargerjy9 on March 10, 2011, 06:17:42 AM

man, you guys are brutal. ya won't let up.(or maybe I'm thin skinned). OK  say my car's 0 to 60 is 7+ seconds, your's is what; 6 seconds, or a little less? OK you win. in the big picture, I just don't see all the fuss over a small snipet of time. My 73 is big, sexy looking, luxurious for the time and fast enough. and yes I do like the opera windows on my SE. back in the day they were distinctive and set the car apart from others. I had one, brand new, as a young guy, and sitting in that car (my 1st new) with it's white bucket seats, power windows, A/C and sweet burble coming from the exhausts, I thought that I was on top. Still do with my current SE. Oh, I just purchased a 77 AMC Pacer, from the original owner, show room condition original with 30 K miles. It ain't no hot rod, for sure, but talk about distinctive. both my cars were statements for the times. I drove and worked on them, so they are meaningful to me, that's what counts in my book. Let me have it for that one, i can take it.  

yeah, you're thin skinned, I was playing with ya ;-)

read my sig, i'll wait :nana:

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Brock Lee

I had a 71 and a couple 72's pass through over the years. I would look at them and wonder why they didn't appeal to me. I think they are "too" rounded for my taste. The first gen was too boxy, 2nd gen seems to be the right mix of curves and hard lines. To my eye the hard edges add an "aggressive" look. Smooth them out and it looks "soft". But that is just my opinion.

DustinSimmonds

Quote from: Brock Lee on March 10, 2011, 01:59:00 PM
I had a 71 and a couple 72's pass through over the years. I would look at them and wonder why they didn't appeal to me. I think they are "too" rounded for my taste. The first gen was too boxy, 2nd gen seems to be the right mix of curves and hard lines. To my eye the hard edges add an "aggressive" look. Smooth them out and it looks "soft". But that is just my opinion.
Thats a really good way to put it! I've said it before but I prefer the rounded bodies of the 3rd gen. I like to say that all 3 main generations of the Charger bring something different to the table for everyone!

ACUDANUT

Too rounded ? Maybe you drive a Scion box car, or maybe a Cube.  :smilielol: