News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Unpopularity of 3rd Gen Chargers, particularly post 71

Started by 64dartgt, February 20, 2011, 11:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

64dartgt

Back in 1983 I came within a hairsbreadth of buying a 1973 Dodge Challenger.  B5 Blue with a 318, black vinyl top and black interior.  Fenders were shot already, but it ran great and a friend was selling it for $1100.  On the way to look at it again I went past a used car lot and saw a fearsome looking black car with T-tops.  It was a 1974 Pontiac Grand Am with a 400 automatic that looked hot.  I bought it instead for $1500 and it ran awful and had enough bondo for a small army.  I always regretted not buying the Challenger instead.   Fast forward to modern times and that same Challenger is $7000 to $10000 for a basket case while a third generation Charger is lucky to raise $10K if it is totally done, unless it is a 71 Superbee or a Hemi car.  Even the Rallye editions seem to have a tough time pulling down good money when they have a 440 under the hood.  

This gnawed at me.  I always wanted the Challenger, but always loved the 2nd gen Chargers.  Last year a 1973 Charger with a factory sunroof, a console and a blue interior came up for sale on ebay.  I kept looking at it.  Hmmm....essentially the same interior features I liked in the Challengers...I loved the blue interior (everything is black, brown or gray now)...same console as the Challenger I wanted with the T-slapstick...from the inside I would barely realize I was in a different car!  From the outside...many of the same cool swoopy lines of the 2nd gens still existed.  Then it dawned on me.  In many ways this car was a mix of all the things I liked about the Challengers and the 2nd gen Chargers...but in one car.  Also, I had been sorely tempted to by a brand new Challenger, but as my Wife said.  If you really want a classic car, why spend so much more money on a new one?

So I bought the 1973 Charger.  I will probably have $10K into it before it gets to paint, but it will have a rebuilt 340, has a rebuilt A904, a 8.75 posi, decent interior (just needs a headliner and carpet), new tires, new exhaust, new fuel tank and new brakes by then.  Essentially for what it cost me for an absolute rat of a 1973 Dodge Challenger! A new coat of paint in B5 and I will be done for less than half the cost  :2thumbs:

bordin34

I was initially attracted to the 3rd gens because of their E-body-esque lines.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Nacho-RT74

actually, I think first gens are less popular than 3rd gens.

I think its on each own.

remember 3rd gens lived mostly on the bad timming of the gas and insurances problems.

However I'm not agree on a 71 R/T-Bee being that low priced. They can reach easily the same of a 2nd gen according with its conditions.

One advantage of a 3rd gen is a more comfy and friendly interior than earliers.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

mikesbbody

I love third Gens I prefer the 73-74 Charger's (non SE's) over the 72-74 Challengers  :Twocents:

troutstreamnm

Man I would take a 71 Charger R/T with an air grabber hood in a flash  :drool5:
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

TK73

3rd gens suck. People need to stay away from 'em...

Everybody knows 2nd gens are much cooler and everybody should keep trying to get one.
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

DustinSimmonds

Quote from: TK73 on February 20, 2011, 09:24:40 PM

Everybody knows 2nd gens are much cooler and everybody should keep trying to get one.
Harsh! Why? If you don't mind me asking. I myself own a 72 SE. I like different things about each Charger. I'm more drawn to the curvy body or the 3rd gens, versus the boxy bodies of the 2nd gens. However I would still like to own a 2nd gen!

mikesbbody

Quote from: DustinSimmonds on February 21, 2011, 01:40:40 AM

Harsh! Why? If you don't mind me asking. I myself own a 72 SE. I like different things about each Charger. I'm more drawn to the curvy body or the 3rd gens, versus the boxy bodies of the 2nd gens. However I would still like to own a 2nd gen!

I Think he's kidding? he has a pic there's a pic of a 73-74 if he's not kidding then  :fu: I for one dont want a 2nd Gen.

DustinSimmonds

Quote from: mikesbbody on February 21, 2011, 02:05:19 AM

I Think he's kidding? he has a pic there's a pic of a 73-74 if he's not kidding then  :fu: I for one dont want a 2nd Gen.

Yea, I suppose I should have noticed that!  :lol: I'm bad with jokes. :slap:

doctor4766

Third gens look cool, but nowhere near as sexy as 2nd gens.. particularly the '69, and I've never really been a fan of first gen Chargers.
Sorry if anyone takes offense to my views.
I think I'd rather a Chally or Cuda before a 3rd gen too.
That's not to say there's anything wrong with 1st or 3rd gens.. just how I personally rate them if the cars of choice were:
1st gen Charger
2nd gen Charger
3rd gen Charger
E body Challenger/Cuda

Now if I could afford a new Hemi Challenger I might even consider selling my '69.
But to get a new Chally over here in Oz would cost me in excess of 100k after RHD conversion.
Gotta love a '69

Drache

I love the looks of the 3rd gen Chargers.

This spring I plan on looking around for one but up here in Canada, finding a decent charger for $8,000-$10,000 isn't easy.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

chargerjy9

In my opinion my 73 SE is a beautiful styling masterpiece. It is sculptural, sleek, sexy,sinewy, It has convex surfaces that merge into concave surfaces. no flatsided slab of beef or jelly bean shapes here. The A line on the bodyside reminds me of the curves of a beautiful woman. As a former automotive clay sculptor ( for Chrysler, yeah I am a bit of a homey,here) I can attest to the difficulty of creating that sheetmetal. the car has a graceful stance, poised to spring into action.
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

64dartgt

You were a clay sculptor?  That is awesome.  It is surprising, given the jelly bean shapes of so many modern cars, that there isn't more of an appreciation for some of the incredible body styles in the 60's and 70's.  The Charger seemed to always be pushing the limits, as were some GM designs like the Monte Carlo.  I would have bought a 73 Monte off my friends Father, but he refused to sell it to me.  He said he didn't want to see what I would do to his poor car  :lol:  I wonder what people thought of the 73 Monte when it came out?  It certainly must have driven the guys who had to make the front fender molds batty.

Another cool thing about the third gen charger is the degree to they were customized both inside and out.  :coolgleamA: The variety of upholstery colors and patterns, the stripes and the paint colors was astounding vs. today.  Today you may get to pick between two interior colors and a half dozen blah  :eek2: paint colors for most cars.  It is no wonder people can't find their cars in the parking lot.

The new Chargers and Challengers are exceptions to the boring colors.  However, as much as I like the new back end of the new Charger, that lame front end has got to go.  Who knows what Fiat is going to do in the future?  I expect an influx of re-badged Fiats soon, but we all may need to fear for the future of our our Hemi's given what the head of Fiat said recently.

Guns N Rotors

I became a 3rd gen fan when I was 7 or 8 years old and I
would watch this guy on Sundays.

"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighting aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be."

djcarguy

love 3rd gen since new. but i was tricked and sucked inn. raised in a tiny town,with 1 superbee yellow ,2 road runners ,blue and orange and a 70 corronet rt plum crazy.  then wow,wow a new car in town. a 71 red and black 3rd gen rt. red with black air grabber hood 340,4spd ,loud exhaust with twin tips. i was 14teen and got to ride my bike passed it to go mow a guys lawn.if he was home i would stop and talk to owner and he would fire it up and rap the pipes. love that car but found out most did not look like that one.i asked to buy it years later but no deal,it was always garaged and clean.
      so at 15 1/2 i got a red 66 coronet and 1st thing i did was loud pipes and jack it up for a set of used torque thrust mags and white letter tires off neigbors station wagon,,$50 bucks. i did not have a license yet so my brothers got to drive my car more than me.  great memories and things sure were simple back in the 70es.    P.S. my bike was a lemon peeler,5spd   ;) ;)

TK73

Quote from: DustinSimmonds on February 21, 2011, 02:11:36 AM

Shhh, don't tell anybody how cool the 4rd gens are... if not everybody will want 'em and next thing we're paying $1200 for a dash pad.

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

41husk

I recently sold my 3rd gen.  It was a sub lime 73 SuperBee clone.  It hasn't been gone 5 months and I already miss it.  I bought it because I missed the 72 R/T clone I had sold to buy my 68.  I love the 2nd gen lines and stance, but there is just something about the third gen.  Kinda like herpes the desire to have one never really goes away once you get it :smilielol:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Ghoste

Wasn't 1973 the best selling year for Chargers?  Someone must like them. :icon_smile_wink:

elanmars

i would like another 3rd gen down the road. i prefer the 73-74 bodies (I really dislike the small back windows of the 71 and specially the 72). se opera windows or non-se nice back window, bulge hood and 71-72 hideaways....
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

chargerjy9

In fact 73 WAS the best selling year, over 160,000 I believe. My 73 SE is dark Gold Metallic with a white vinyl roof and Honey Gold interior. I think that soon you will see many different interior colors like in those days,not just gray,black or tan.
Yes I was a clay sculptor for 35 years, I worked for Chrysler, AMC, White Motors and Larry Shinoda ( Boss Mustang, etc). I love any and all Chargers (1st thru 3rd gens) I love my 73 SE for the reasons stated in my post above, But IMO the best styled cars, which still stands up today are the 68-70 Charger, and 68-70 AMX, those cars are pinnacles of styling excellence, perfection in stance,proportion, surface developement. they look fast just standing still. As a clay sculptor, I worked on many interesting projects, some wacky ones ( a 3 wheeled compact car designed by White trucks, 1974, came to mind )
1977 AMC Pacer original

Brock Samson

I think the "unpopularity" of post '71, has to do with the lowered compressions of the 72- motors, and the options also got simplified to a great degree after '71.. Most muscle car guys are aware of this and aspire to earlier cars accordingly, the later chargers/b-bodies and the E bodies shared a common firewall and a host of other parts - as the four doors were all coronets and the two doors were consolidated... I prefer the second gen for the styling incl. the dash, and the more robust cowl, slam a door on a '71-up B-or E-body and you'll feel the difference. But that's just me.  :shruggy:
congrats on yours!  :2thumbs:

BIGBLCK11

3rd Gens are awesome too! My fav is a 71 though.  I think all 3 generations bring their own unique flavor and style to the table.  Would love to have 1 of each.

TruckDriver

Quote from: Guns N Rotors on February 21, 2011, 10:05:32 AM
I became a 3rd gen fan when I was 7 or 8 years old and I
would watch this guy on Sundays.

:iagree: Same for me  :2thumbs:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

mikesbbody

Quote from: TK73 on February 21, 2011, 11:44:40 AM
Quote from: DustinSimmonds on February 21, 2011, 02:11:36 AM

Shhh, don't tell anybody how cool the 4rd gens are... if not everybody will want 'em and next thing we're paying $1200 for a dash pad.

4th Gens Now your Talking!  :2thumbs:  :lol:

chargerjy9

I get razzed about my "low compression" engine all the time. I don't get it, though. I don't do dragstrips so what's the diff ?, who really does, any ways? My 73 is fast enough, good music comes out from the dual exhausts and I can use unleaded regular. the 400 4 barrel is completely stock. I had it dyno tuned and the carb was tweaked. the result was an increase to 300 hp from factory stock of 260. it can cruise all day long at 90- 95mph, there is plenty left. ( I have no idea what is the top end, never took it there) what else do I need. IMO 500 hp behemoths are overrated, who uses it. bragging rights? mine is bigger than yours? so what.
1977 AMC Pacer original