News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Unpopularity of 3rd Gen Chargers, particularly post 71

Started by 64dartgt, February 20, 2011, 11:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

Quote from: chargerjy9 on February 21, 2011, 07:38:24 PM
I get razzed about my "low compression" engine all the time. I don't get it, though. I don't do dragstrips so what's the diff ?, who really does, any ways? My 73 is fast enough, good music comes out from the dual exhausts and I can use unleaded regular. the 400 4 barrel is completely stock. I had it dyno tuned and the carb was tweaked. the result was an increase to 300 hp from factory stock of 260. it can cruise all day long at 90- 95mph, there is plenty left. ( I have no idea what is the top end, never took it there) what else do I need. IMO 500 hp behemoths are overrated, who uses it. bragging rights? mine is bigger than yours? so what.

Well all-righty then...  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQuRgV1hlEY

mikesbbody

Third gens look cool, but nowhere near as sexy as 2nd gens.. particularly the '69, and I've never really been a fan of first gen Chargers.
Sorry if anyone takes offense to my views.
I think I'd rather a Chally or Cuda before a 3rd gen too.
That's not to say there's anything wrong with 1st or 3rd gens.. just how I personally rate them if the cars of choice were:
1st gen Charger
2nd gen Charger
3rd gen Charger
E body Challenger/Cuda

Now if I could afford a new Hemi Challenger I might even consider selling my '69.
But to get a new Chally over here in Oz would cost me in excess of 100k after RHD conversion.

No offence taken eveyone likes what they like as they say if everyone liked the same thing...Boring!
without a doubt the 68-70 is one of the Baddest looking Muscle cars around from any angle maybe even the best looking?
My Fav 2nd gen is the 68 then 69, then 70 I don't get all this "I don't like 68 Tailights" or "I don't like the 70 Front Bumper"  :shruggy: 2nd gens are out of my price range now there was a time I could afford one, but I didn't know about 3rd gens back then  :icon_smile_big: if i could have any 5 Mopars it would be 71 RT, 71 Super Bee, 72 rallye Charger, 68 Charger, last would be either a new Challenger, or a 70 Challenger I have never like the Door handles on 2nd Gens (stick out too far IMO) also dont like the side vent windows, or the exposed  Wiper blades Never liked 1st Gens sorry just my  :Twocents:

greenpigs

I haven't checked for awhile but I think 1973 was a watermark year for ALL domestic car makers, something like the highest sales ever.

For me:

1)2nd Gen
2)1st Gen
3)3rd Gen
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: BIGBLCK11 on February 21, 2011, 04:15:29 PM
3rd Gens are awesome too! My fav is a 71 though.  I think all 3 generations bring their own unique flavor and style to the table.  Would love to have 1 of each.

TOTALLY agree.

I would like:
a 67 due the it was the first year to vinyl top, and the split console. True the one piece console looks AWESOME, but its something uncomfortable to ppl on rear.
a 69
and my actual 74

each gen has its own charms ( I think we have discused in te past )

1st gen... fastback, headlights rotation, electroluminiscense cluster
2nd gen... agressive and awesome exterior look
3rd gen... best, friendly and comfortable interior
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

64dartgt

4th Gen!  Now we are talking. 

I must admit that I have a fondness for some of those FWD cars of the late 80's / early 90's.  I needed a four door and bought a white 89 Dodge Spirit ES with all the extra trim and 150hp turbo 2.5L.  It was a fun little car to drive, but the white snowflake wheels were absolute murder to keep clean.  An ex- of mine had an 1989 Shelby Daytona and it was a fun car to drive.  Head gaskets invariably went about 100K though due to having aluminum heads on a cast iron block.

Chrysler essentially had "tuner" cars before anyone thought to call them that.  Minus the awful droning exhaust sound and neon lighting  :eek2:

Iron Chef

I LOVE my 3rd Gen Super Bee.  It started back in high school.  A friend of mine was driving "his mom's old car" at the time...a 1971 Charger R/T with a 440 Magnum (this was in 1978).  I love the lines of the car and the interior.

I just recently picked up a numbers matching Challenger R/T with a 440 Magnum.  At first (due to space considerations), the thought was to sell the Super Bee to make room since the Challenger's value is huge.  And I just recently finished restoring it, so I was sure I could get my money out of it.

Then this past weekend, I took the Bee out for a drive through some of the winding Texas backroads here.  The 383 that was just rebuilt performed flawlessly.  The 4-speed pistol-grip was a joy to shift through.  And the completely new suspension, which includes Koni shocks, larger front sway bar from PST and adding a rear bar from Hellwig made the car corner beautifully and flat through the turns.  I had a blast driving it.

The Super Bee stays.  I'll have to rent some space.  :smilielol:
Most of your life should be "off the record."

Orange_Crush

Quote from: 64dartgt on February 20, 2011, 11:29:58 AM

So I bought the 1973 Charger.  I will probably have $10K into it before it gets to paint, but it will have a rebuilt 340, has a rebuilt A904, a 8.75 posi, decent interior (just needs a headliner and carpet), new tires, new exhaust, new fuel tank and new brakes by then.  Essentially for what it cost me for an absolute rat of a 1973 Dodge Challenger! A new coat of paint in B5 and I will be done for less than half the cost  :2thumbs:

And that's what its all about.  Buy what you like and drive the wheels off the damned thing.

Buying a classic based on popularity makes you an investor and not an enthusiast.  I have seen '73 and '74 chargers (and even '75s) that I would LOVE to own.

I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

JPL

I always liked genIII's, something different, got mine in '85, never looked back.

I am looking for a genII though........lol!

triple_green

2nd gen owner here and I love the 3rd gens. Esp the ones with hideaway headlights. I'm glad they are cheaper because after I get done with the kid's college educations, I may be in the market for a third gen...if I have any money left....

They are very cool!
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

chargerjy9

we put 2 kids thru private school and college. as soon as I made the last tuition pay't, I told my wife that "now it is my turn". she agreed, I found my 73 SE shortly there after. and the rest is history
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

67440chrg

We are all part of the same family but some how I feel like a red headed step child. I have had a 3rd and 1st gen never wanted a 2nd I like them just see too many around I like to be difrent. so what is wrong with this.

TK73

Even down to this microscopic level of our global social structure we have an "elitist" mentality...

Who gives a rat crap? 
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

General_01

3rd gen guy here. My first Charger was a '74 rust bucket with a 318. In '89 I was looking to get a 2nd gen because I loved the Dukes of Hazzard as a kid(I was 21 at the time). I stumbled across an ad for a '71 Charger Superbee. Didn't even know there was such a thing. Ended up buying it and have had it ever since. Took a hiatus from 2001-2007 and drove a GL replica I bought, but I sold that and I am driving the Bee still. Didn't get to do much of that the last two years, but this year I plan on putting quite a few miles on going thru the gears.  :drive:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Paul G

I guess I am a real oddball then. I drove a 69 Sat all through high school. Next was a 73 Sat Sebring Plus. Many years later to the present, looking for classic Mopar it had to be a 3rd gen Charger. I have had two now, a 73 Rallye and the 72 I have now. Don't even want a 2nd gen. I just love the lines of the 3rd gen.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

64dartgt

My point really wasn't that one is better than the other.  It was really just to note that despite the huge popularity of Chargers overall, the thirds are neglected (the firsts aren't far behind either).  Even Darts and Dusters sell for more money and they don't have a movie or TV show either!  Personally if I won the lottery I'd be hard pressed not to own a dozen Mopars.  My first was a 71 Dart I bought for $150 and sold for $85.  It was a winter car.  My second is my Great Aunts 1964 Dodge Dart GT convertible with a 273 and pushbuttons...talk about an unpopular car in comparison to second gen!  It just truly surprises me that a comparable 73 Challenger with a 318 is 10K for a basket case in comparison.  :scratchchin:

41husk

4th gens  :slap: I had a 1983 Dodge Omni/Charger.  It was the first new car I ever bought. 1.7 liter.  I would love to have another :2thumbs:  I realy liked the Rampage.  It was a small truck that looked like the Charger front end and the Charger interior but had a truck bed in back like the Elcamino :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

greenpigs

Quote from: 41husk on February 24, 2011, 09:53:02 AM
4th gens  :slap: I had a 1983 Dodge Omni/Charger.  It was the first new car I ever bought. 1.7 liter.  I would love to have another :2thumbs:  I realy liked the Rampage.  It was a small truck that looked like the Charger front end and the Charger interior but had a truck bed in back like the Elcamino :cheers:

The only bad thing is they rust out quick. I have not seen one in 10 years on the road in Ohio but if I could find a sorta solid one I jump on it.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

41husk

I know were there is a solid rampage, just not sure what he wants for it?
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

MRHWS

I love both of my 3rd gens. And for those who want to throw a dig, I love my SRT8 too. I know I know, it has 4 doors. They don't sell $.30 a gallon gas any more either, so at the time, it was the badest daily driver Mopar I could get.   
1973 Charger SE
1974 Charger Rallye 440
2008 Charger SRT8

71_Charger_R/T

Quote from: 41husk on February 24, 2011, 09:53:02 AM
Omni/Charger fourth gen.??  :slap: That's fifth gen. Cordoba/Charger, That's fourth gen. But I do agree on the Rampage, cool little Tar/Cruck Especially  the California Shelby Rampage package! http://www.dempseybowling.com/sheldodg/sheldode.htm

DustinSimmonds

Quote from: MRHWS on February 26, 2011, 11:38:10 PM
I love both of my 3rd gens. And for those who want to throw a dig, I love my SRT8 too. I know I know, it has 4 doors. They don't sell $.30 a gallon gas any more either, so at the time, it was the badest daily driver Mopar I could get.   
Do my eyes dis-eve me or is your 3rd gen have no roof?

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

BIGBLCK11

Looks like the 2/3 vinyl top in black, but I see what you mean.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: mikesbbody on February 22, 2011, 01:52:30 AM
Third gens look cool, but nowhere near as sexy as 2nd gens.. particularly the '69, and I've never really been a fan of first gen Chargers.
Sorry if anyone takes offense to my views.
I think I'd rather a Chally or Cuda before a 3rd gen too.
That's not to say there's anything wrong with 1st or 3rd gens.. just how I personally rate them if the cars of choice were:
1st gen Charger
2nd gen Charger
3rd gen Charger
E body Challenger/Cuda

Now if I could afford a new Hemi Challenger I might even consider selling my '69.
But to get a new Chally over here in Oz would cost me in excess of 100k after RHD conversion.

No offence taken eveyone likes what they like as they say if everyone liked the same thing...Boring!
without a doubt the 68-70 is one of the Baddest looking Muscle cars around from any angle maybe even the best looking?
My Fav 2nd gen is the 68 then 69, then 70 I don't get all this "I don't like 68 Tailights" or "I don't like the 70 Front Bumper"  :shruggy: 2nd gens are out of my price range now there was a time I could afford one, but I didn't know about 3rd gens back then  :icon_smile_big: if i could have any 5 Mopars it would be 71 RT, 71 Super Bee, 72 rallye Charger, 68 Charger, last would be either a new Challenger, or a 70 Challenger I have never like the Door handles on 2nd Gens (stick out too far IMO) also dont like the side vent windows, or the exposed  Wiper blades Never liked 1st Gens sorry just my  :Twocents:

Your contradicting yourself.  You list a 3rd Gen Charger before a E-body.  :shruggy:

MRHWS

Quote from: DustinSimmonds on February 28, 2011, 02:58:44 AM
Quote from: MRHWS on February 26, 2011, 11:38:10 PM
Do my eyes dis-eve me or is your 3rd gen have no roof?
Just the angle....

1973 Charger SE
1974 Charger Rallye 440
2008 Charger SRT8