News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Some times I hate the RMV

Started by jb666, February 19, 2011, 02:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

The good old Registry Of Motor Vehicles. Over the years, I've given my local office enough $$ to build a rec center, carpet the entire place yearly, and pay for employee luncheons quarterly... Yet, when you need something from them, God help you.

I got a notice in the mail on Thursday that my license has been yanked.  I have a Class A w/multiple endorsements, Motorcycle and Passenger vehicle. I also need my license for my profession. So I hit the roof.

Why did I lose it? The Z06 that I sold over a YEAR ago had "unpaid excise tax". The best part it was for the time period that I didn't own it! They showed that I didn't own it any more. They showed that it was now in someone else's name, but until I could go in there and give them the "new" owner's name, phone number and address, they wouldn't lift my suspension.  How much sense does that make??

So, I provided all of the info. The re-instated my license and gave me an abatement of $380 for a $380 excise tax they made me pay on the spot.  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: Gotta love the red tape. It cost some state employee hours of labor to make NOTHING.  :2thumbs:

Dans 68

We over here on the left coast we call it the DMV (Dept of Motor Vehicles). Same ineptitude. It is the system we have, in all bureaucracies, and will probably have until we go the way of the Roman Empire. Talk to your rep. A letter to the Editor. Have a beer. Not much more can be done.

And I will have a beer for you later.  :yesnod:  :cheers:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Troy

That's what you get for living in a state that charges you those ridiculous taxes. :P

Any way, our DMV is pretty much useless as well. I think it's a prerequisite for the job. My license expires this year so I'll be forced to go stand in line for an hour or two just to get a new picture (and I get to pay and extra $25-30!). But I can mail in pictures to get a Passport.

Of course, we also have this awesome law that says the State can demand proof of insurance at any time so they randomly send out letters demanding this proof. Failure to comply is an automatic license suspension, "points" on your license, and about $500 in fines. Not to mention your insurance rates will go up. Typically, this law is enforced when you get pulled over (ie you were actually driving) but that gets bypassed in this scenario. So, you could get a letter for a car that isn't drivable (or that you sold) and have to bring all the paper work into the office for some genius to sort it out - while you're suspended! My roommate has a Mustang that only sees the road in the summer so it has fire and theft insurance during the winter. It is difficult to prove that a car was inoperable/in storage on a specific day so this is a nightmare in waiting. The only way (that I'm aware of) to avoid this mess is to turn in your license plates and purchase new ones once you decide to drive the car again. Naturally, only people following the law tend to get hassled (ie criminals don't have licenses, buy plates, or carry insurance).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

jb666

You nailed that one on the head, Troy.. Mass.. Eh, Taxachusett's is THE WORST state for taxing everything...

My buddy bought a 53' coach last year.. Just got his excise tax... $37k.  :o ... Where is this money going? The City certainly isn't using it for road repair.

Don't get me started on that...  I already had this state.

My wife's car has been in storage for 3 months. Up on a lift. No suspension, no wheels, nothing... Yet, magically, two weeks ago her plate was captured and she was sent a speeding ticket. Yeah... Good system  :slap: , now it's up to me to prove the car hasn't moved in months... I'll just take a day off of work to fight a bogus ticket...

MoparManJim

Quote from: Troy on February 20, 2011, 11:01:50 AM

Any way, our DMV is pretty much useless as well. I think it's a prerequisite for the job. My license expires this year so I'll be forced to go stand in line for an hour or two just to get a new picture (and I get to pay and extra $25-30!). But I can mail in pictures to get a Passport.

Man, I wish that was the price around here. Here the photo card cost around $30.00 something to get renewed and get this, on top of that they don't mention that I am aware of is that until you are in line at the dang DMV then they say "there is also a fee" on top of the photo card price also taking it from $30.00 to $40.00 now. What if the person doesn't have the extra money on them because they didn't know bout it. I went in last year, got waited on, and then at the last minute by a woman I don't like to well as she is kinda to stuck up it seems looks at me and said that will be $38.00 when the dam paper only said $29.00! I question the lady right on the spot and all she can say was this "We're a non-profit orgization group, and there is a processing fee" in which I said "non-profit my ass" and she just gave me a dirty look. I looked at my papers and to my awareness there is no where that it states there is a fee to what I can see. I think that should be dis-clare on the renewul papers. 
The lady back long time ago also gave my parents a big run around also on one car my parents bought from a friend, she made them 3 times in a roll return the DMV in one day because she didn't tell my parents what all they needed  :brickwall:  to get the vehicle they had gotten from a friend of the family registered. All she had to do was just tell my parents what "all" they needed and it all could have been done at one time but noo. So now when I go in I try my best to stay clear of her counter and go to one of the other ones which alot of people does also.

64dartgt

When I bought my Charger the title and bill of sale were signed by the owner's Son.  His Mother had passed away and his Father is demented and he had a durable power of attorney.  I called the RMV and they confirmed that title, bill of sale and copy of the power of attorney would suffice to register the car.  When I got there they turned me away, because I didn't have a copy of the death certificate for the Mother, who was also on the title.   :brickwall:

It took me weeks to get the info from the Son.  On the plus side, when I returned to the registry I went to the front of the line.  On the minus side they charged me sales tax of 5% on $5000, which they said was the book value for my "collector" car.  I told her I would sell it to her for $5000 if she wanted it, because it was barely more than a parts car at the time (didn't run, bad tranny, bad engine).

ITSA426

I use a local DMV office, and the same person most of the time. 

They have been absolutely awesome with everything I've asked.  Lost titles, new titles, VINs not quite matching registration, bill of sale car transfers from out of state, screwed up paperwork, even a passport for non related minor child.

I've always gone in asking what I need to show, to get what I want, and they have always been able to show me the way.  There is always a way.  Sometimes it takes more than one visit but with old cars and old paperwork there is no hurry.  I've always paid sales tax on the amount I actually paid no matter the condition of the car.  I've paid less and registered the car as a collector if that is cheaper. 

Sometimes it seems people rant and vent on them and it makes their day long and lousy.  It's one place where courtesy really does pay off.