News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General Lee - Love 'em hate em,.. or indifferent?..

Started by Brock Samson, February 19, 2011, 10:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok: cast your votes.

Live and Breath DOH!!!! YEE HAWW!!
Love the show that's why I'm here.
They're OK I guess, to each their own.
Like them somewhat but don't see the fuss.
Think the DOH is pretty dumb.

Ghoste

djcarguy

iam just posting this so i can delete the notify me of replys????????     Cant we all just git alone?????? if no one reply to the GL threads they will dry up and bloww away,ya think?????  and less stress and more space and time on here for helping others fix cars and enjoy the build pages of restorations???   well sorry and goodday,i say goodday

68coronetGLwannabe

This thread was about as productive as this one. Moderators please subtract one from my post count for this post.   :D

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,77753.0.html
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Daytona R/T SE

The original intent of this thread:

General Lee - Love 'em hate em,.. or indifferent?.. 

My answer:

I wouldn't mind having a General Lee Clone.

Might be kind of fun.

There's plenty of country roads here to go rippin' around on. :scratchchin:

:shruggy:

Sabre

I loved the Dukes of Hazzard as a kid (born in 79) and still love the show today.  I enjoy the action/adventure and comedy in the show.  The car chases are some of the best I've seen and I think the camera angles (door cam, roof cam, etc) added to the excitement of the show during the chase scenes.  The actors did well with the characters they played and I like every character the show had.  I also thought the bad guys of the week were great, they played mean baddies.  As for the car like it or not but the General Lee introduced me to 2nd gen Chargers, and other muscle cars.  I had seen that bright orange Charger on the t.v. on a weekly basis.  My parents bought me many a Dukes toy.  When ever I was at a toy store and saw a 2nd gen Charger toy I grabbed it whether it was a General Lee or other, it was because of that show/car.

The Dukes of Hazzard made that Charger basically a automobile super hero and I thought that was bad ass.  I like the paint job too, car looks intimidating to me.  Basically The Dukes of Hazzard was a modern day western where the heroes "rode" an orange iron horse, rather than a four legged one.  It's a show that has no equal in its category (action/adventure/comedy).

TK73

Not a Dukes fan.

Most certainly a fan of the Blade Charger!!
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

G-man

You gonna tell me this car does not look good? Put aside the whole GL thing, movie thing, bla bla bla excuses and look at the car, pretend DOH doesnt exist, does this car look good or what? If that to you looks bad within itself, then you may aswell go get yourself a Ricer and pretend it looks awesome cause theres something wrong with you seriously. I personally believe the prejudice is mainly due to where it was found/what they did with the cars rather than the car itself. I dont see how that paint scheme makes the charger look bad, it looks awesome. You know why I want an Orange 01 car (not a GL)? Because to me that paint scheme just looks good. Race like and yet tough at the same time.

Ghoste

If I take away the GL thing, the movie, all of it and just look at the car alone, I would like it IF you got rid of the grotesque looking push bar on the front, the out of place looking van wheels, stripped off the tacky number on the door (can't see the flag in that picture).  I would like it then

skip68

Ghoste has a valid point.  I'm not sure what it is but I know it's there.  I think I'll change my avitar pic by turning my car around so it shows just the back end of my car.  Which is what most of you would see anyway. WHY ?.  Because my car is fast as lightning.  That's right, it was clocked at the speed of lightning. It's funny, but when I painted my car orange it became real fast. I will race you Ghoste and I will win. My paint is slippery and makes it's own wind that pushes me faster.  Here is an example of my power...  A guy in a ford tempo tried to take me and he lost.  Another guy last year was in a Geo Metro,,,,, I blew him away in a mile.    So there it is.  Want some of this ????.  Hehehaha.  There is nothing wrong with guys not liking a jenny lee.  Dave posted this thread to see what we say and because it's a question on how we feel, then good or bad is ok.  I make fun of my own car with you guys but I also love it.  A guy can post here that he hates them and it makes him sick and that's ok...
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Ghoste

My only point (that time) was to answer G-man's question of how can you not love the car if you take the show part of it away.  Which I suppose means that my point was to reiterate nvrbdn's post that some like GL's, some like 73 SE's, some like silver and some like flames and side pipes.
I won't ever start a discussion about why I don't like someone's Charger (because at some level or other I will find merit in them all even the four door ones but don't tell Bull  ;) ) but if you ask me if I like a car or not I will give my OPINION.  If you counter that my opinion is wrong I'll defend it.  Respectful back and forth like this is fun but sometimes it gets heated.  This one has gotten beneath us a bit I think but I'm not always good about walking away.

skip68

Soooooo, does this mean we're not going to race ?.  I'll take out one spark plug.  Hahaha. Just kidding with you ghoste.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

68coronetGLwannabe

Quote from: Ghoste on February 25, 2011, 10:00:02 AM
My only point (that time) was to answer G-man's question of how can you not love the car if you take the show part of it away.  Which I suppose means that my point was to reiterate nvrbdn's post that some like GL's, some like 73 SE's, some like silver and some like flames and side pipes.
I won't ever start a discussion about why I don't like someone's Charger (because at some level or other I will find merit in them all even the four door ones but don't tell Bull  ;) ) but if you ask me if I like a car or not I will give my OPINION.  If you counter that my opinion is wrong I'll defend it.  Respectful back and forth like this is fun but sometimes it gets heated.  This one has gotten beneath us a bit I think but I'm not always good about walking away.

The problem I see with this thread is it was started by someone who doesn't own a General Lee. Someone who's been around long enough to know were these threads go. If I had started a thread asking "What Do you think of My GL" Thats opens up the flood gates. Maybe we can start a thread and take a poll on the way someone else built their car and see how that goes. Will it get this ugly probably not, but I am sure not every will like it.

PS: Ghoste I already sent Bull a PM about you liking 4 doors.  :nana:
"That's us in 10 years".

clanton

Quote from: G-man on February 25, 2011, 03:07:13 AM
You gonna tell me this car does not look good? Put aside the whole GL thing, movie thing, bla bla bla excuses and look at the car, pretend DOH doesnt exist, does this car look good or what? If that to you looks bad within itself, then you may aswell go get yourself a Ricer and pretend it looks awesome cause theres something wrong with you seriously. I personally believe the prejudice is mainly due to where it was found/what they did with the cars rather than the car itself. I dont see how that paint scheme makes the charger look bad, it looks awesome. You know why I want an Orange 01 car (not a GL)? Because to me that paint scheme just looks good. Race like and yet tough at the same time.

It looks great because it is a Charger...if it were a pinto it would suck and the show would suck.
Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Ghoste

The racing days for my current pos are done (I can keep that promise right?), I'm thinking about my next project. :lol:

Brock Samson

Regarding all thse answers,..
  the only people who get upset are the Lee owners,.. according to them the only lee threads that can be started - are by people who own or are building lees?... :shruggy: Everyone else is a hater...  :rotz:
Yes I guess we can git alone...  :eek2:

68coronetGLwannabe

Of course we get upset. Wouldn't it bother you if the way you did your car was was being bashed.    :shruggy:

Anyways lets try and get along   :cheers:

I must remember its just the internet and not take it to personal. The members here that I have meet face to face were very friendly. Except Skip68 he was a little to touchy feely for me. :nana:
"That's us in 10 years".

Brock Samson

the point of the thread was to bring out people's feelings about it... good, bad, indifferent,.. lots of folks didn't care to post who would if it was about the newer four doors,.. or if it was about third or first Gens... but some who care posted many many times... some to stir things up, some to poke fun... I love all chargers but, I  find a real lack of individuality in them all being orange and having vectors, who says they can't have TTIIs? or be primer?.. or have a sunroof?.. MY Opinion.

68coronetGLwannabe

Quote from: Brock Samson on February 25, 2011, 10:50:21 AM
the point of the thread was to bring out people's feelings about it... good, bad, indifferent,.. lots of folks didn't care to post who would if it was about the newer four doors,.. or if it was about third or first Gens... but some who care posted many many times... some to stir things up, some to poke fun... I love all chargers but, I  find a real lack of individuality in them all being orange and having vectors, who says they can't have TTIIs? or be primer?.. or have a sunroof?.. MY Opinion.

This will be my last comment in this thread unless Skip68, Ghoste, Khyron post something humerous .  :nana:

We didn't already now how people felt about the GL from The numerous other GL threads?
"That's us in 10 years".

skip68

I hear you Dave and hope we are cool.   As for you Wade and your comment about me being too touchy feely....  How else can I feel without touching ?. ???.  Hahaha

Brock Samson

one question though,.. are MMJ and DJ the same person?..  :shruggy:

Ghoste

As far as individuality, I think if you are building a clone of one particular car then your options are pretty much limited.  That isn't meant as a slam, I'm trying to say that if I wanted to build a black box because black boxes were featured widely on the Harvey Oswald Saturday Afternoon show then it wouldn't make much sense for me to build a green one with black circles on it.  So I get that part about doing a Lee 100%.  Not to mention that for the GL cognoscenti there is enough variation between various seasons and the movies that there is a little wiggle room for different cars.  A 68 Coronet GL is pretty different, the Duke-tona is pretty different.  I don't know how hte GL crowd at large feel about them.  It SEEMS to me that pics of vans or lawnmowers painted that way are typically seen as an afront?
Really and truly I think it's fine for anyone who wants to make one to do it.  Why wouldn't it be?  But, just because you love it shouldn't mean that I do.  I just don't care for the appearance of them. 
However, in spite of the fact that I really find the show goofy, I still have all the episodes and the movies on dvd.  Why?  Because a 69 Charger painted in a way I find unattractive is still far better looking than a 69 Camaro painted my favorite color.  So I buy the dvd's but I would still never do a GL clone nor would I spend much time looking at one at a car show.
We have one of those promo GL's or whatever they are here in our warehouse and I pass it every day but never stop.  It just doesn't work for me. All the same, I've never gotten upset when someone referred to my 67 as a Marlin,  Chris G has told me countless times that 69's are really just GTO's.  I have called 3rd gen's big fat pony cars or gingerbread specials for a lot of years now.  None of it's personal except for having personal tastes.

clanton

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.