News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General Lee - Love 'em hate em,.. or indifferent?..

Started by Brock Samson, February 19, 2011, 10:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok: cast your votes.

Live and Breath DOH!!!! YEE HAWW!!
Love the show that's why I'm here.
They're OK I guess, to each their own.
Like them somewhat but don't see the fuss.
Think the DOH is pretty dumb.

Bobby41909

Quote from: djcarguy on February 23, 2011, 07:44:33 PM
            LOTS OF GUYS RUN IT DOWN BEHIND HIS BACK .CANT WE ALL GET ALONG.

Crap like that is just wrong!   :flame:  and I agree with you DJ and its disappointing :shruggy:

What's amazing is that this is a Charger forum and the same crap happens in here.  How many different versions of the Charger are there....3 (not counting the 80's version...that doesn't count)?  Whatever the color, wheels, options, engine, stripes, emblems..it's the same freaking car.   We're all proud members/owners sharing that experience and our knowledge with other similarly minded enthusiasts.  Some are saving a wreck, building a driver, or a trailer queen, a few have it sitting in the garage waiting for the time and $$ to get their dream car done, others have a professional shop doing the work, some have $5k invested and others have $150k.  Whatever it is...it's still the same car when it drives by.   

I just don't get the close minded and ignorant responses some make in this forum and this thread is a good example.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised, the world is full of uneducated people and others with limited experiences.  You just think that in a world of very different people that in here there would be some respect for each other due to the SMALL number of us (car guys who love the old Chargers).

I expect the elitist attitude in the Corvette crowd and no they don't like my 67 either (too much of a race car) but Charger/Mopar guys?  It's interesting that the 67-69 Camaro is tons more popular then the 68-70 Charger (then and now) and has been done thousands of different ways from vintage hot rod to pimp my ride and I've never heard a negative whisper from another Camaro owner.

We should all be happy other folks young and old are interested in these cars or else they'd be scrapped.  Seems like the "General" gets a lot of disrespect but you should all be praising it.  Somewhere there is a Charger that someone saved to make a General Lee that otherwise would have been left to rot away to dust. It's not like most people are saving these cars because they are awesome performance machines.  I think its more the DOH, Fast & Furious and Death Proof movies that revive the love for these old cars.  Instead of mocking them and their owners, we should appreciate their contribution.  :2thumbs:       

Maybe we need an etiquette sticky.... :shruggy:

Cooter

Bobby41909, It's no different with any star car..The "Christine" people get treated the same as the GL owners here on the F. look board. I'm sure the other star car clone owners get treated the same with other boards as well...It would seem that on a given forum like the Charger forum, you WILL get the occasional General Lee topic..It's only natural to ask about the most famous car, even though there are $150K Hemi Daytonas on here.

Maybe the fact that the Hemi Daytonas aren't/don't get the same mentioning attention as the GL clones do is the problem?

I just wonder how a newbie seeing all this bickering over one orange Charger that has brought so much Happiness to genrations, being chastised looks from the outside? I wonder why it's "ok" to mention a Hemi Daytona on the General Lee board, but Not "ok" to mention a General Lee on a Charger board? Hmmmm......
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

I find the attitude pretty tolerant of the GL around here, all things considered.  I don't expect everyone to be fans of the car, but most of the dislikers aren't jerks about it.  

We also seem to get a good moderate amount of GL/DOH discussion.  The subject can be freely discussed but it doesn't clog up the boards.  

Brock Samson

Now no real self respecting DOH Fan is complete without one of these...  :shruggy:

:misbehaving:

G-man

:lol:

I got a Charger because when I was 6 (21 years ago) I saw the best car ever. That awesome flying orange machine!. I also remember NightRIder but the flying orange car, never to be caught by the law was the best car I ever seen. Now 21 years later I am a proud owner of that awesome Charger.

Its Blue, Its 383, its column shift auto, its all original. Its going orange pro-touring. Love the car and Dukes of Hazard just to see how the car drove was bloody awesome. If people cant even admit the fast driving scenes were fun to watch  to atleast see the car perform, then you better check your pulse cause ya obviously dead!

Ghoste

Quote from: Cooter on February 23, 2011, 10:13:32 PM
Bobby41909, It's no different with any star car..The "Christine" people get treated the same as the GL owners here on the F. look board. I'm sure the other star car clone owners get treated the same with other boards as well...It would seem that on a given forum like the Charger forum, you WILL get the occasional General Lee topic..It's only natural to ask about the most famous car, even though there are $150K Hemi Daytonas on here.

Maybe the fact that the Hemi Daytonas aren't/don't get the same mentioning attention as the GL clones do is the problem?

I just wonder how a newbie seeing all this bickering over one orange Charger that has brought so much Happiness to genrations, being chastised looks from the outside? I wonder why it's "ok" to mention a Hemi Daytona on the General Lee board, but Not "ok" to mention a General Lee on a Charger board? Hmmmm......

That alone probably sums it up.  You like the star car because it's a star, some of us just don't care.  In my case I prefer the Hemi Daytona because it has an actual racing and performance heritage not one created by a producer and stunt team on a Hollywood set.  It would be like Sylvester Stallone walking into a hotel with a bunch of Vietnam vets and not getting special treament.  Then when Sly gets mad and starts shouting "don't you know who I am, I'm the star of Rambo", everyone else saying, "yes, we know who you are and we don't care, these guys over here actually went to war".
You have a car that is recognized by many of the population at large.  Big deal, to me it just doesn't make me pee my pants each time I see it.  It doesn't mena I hate it or especially you, it just means I don't like it.  That's all, nothing more nothing less.

PrisonHack

I don't even own a charger yet, but I have wanted one since I was 6 and saw the DOH for the first time. I am finally within maybe a year of pulling the trigger (that is if the goverment doesn't shut down March 4th and quit paying me) the whole reason I want a Charger is because I fell in love with the GL as a child. That being said now that I am 34 and will hopefully be purchasing one soon, I doubt it will become a GL. I just want something I can drive and enjoy without quite that level of attention. Vectors and a horn are a must though  :2thumbs:

Love it or hate if it wasn't for the DOH alot less chargers would be saved.

Brock Samson

:scratchchin: I'm not sure makin' a jenny is exactly savin' them,..  :-\

skip68

I agree with you Dave.  I think the show had a big effect on alot of guys falling for a Charger.  Most guys won't make a jenny lee even though the show got them hooked. AND, out of the guys that claim a charger was save from the crusher or whatever by making a jenny lee, I don't agree with that.  If you or they didn't get that car, somebody else would have.  Although, I'm sure out of all the cars ever found and saved, at least a few may get that credit.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Mike DC

QuoteIn my case I prefer the Hemi Daytona because it has an actual racing and performance heritage not one created by a producer and stunt team on a Hollywood set.  It would be like Sylvester Stallone walking into a hotel with a bunch of Vietnam vets and not getting special treament.  Then when Sly gets mad and starts shouting "don't you know who I am, I'm the star of Rambo", everyone else saying, "yes, we know who you are and we don't care, these guys over here actually went to war".

I don't think that analogy quite fits.

The average DOH fan isn't admiring the car because of a phony NASCAR heritage created by the show's scripts and editors.  Nobody really thinks the GL ever went 200 mph at Daytona.  Fans admire the car for what they saw it do in the episodes.  The GL was doing its own stunts for most of the series.  

--------------------------------------------------------------

QuoteI'm not sure makin' a jenny is exactly savin' them,..

. . . says the guy with non-stock paint & wheels on his own '69 Charger . . .

AND, out of the guys that claim a charger was save from the crusher or whatever by making a jenny lee, I don't agree with that.  If you or they didn't get that car, somebody else would have.  Although, I'm sure out of all the cars ever found and saved, at least a few may get that credit.

Maybe you would still have fixed my Charger if I didn't.  But then what about the Charger that you actually did fix instead of mine?  

The number of Chargers saved, net total, is governed by the number of people who invest $15,000-$50,000 into restoring a car.  The bottom line is that every DOH fan is another person into that pile, regardless of who gets which specific car.  (Besides, isn't that another complaint against DOH fans from other Charger guys?  That they bid up all the demand on the 2nd-gen project cars & parts too much?)

nvrbdn

well, we have guys on here that cant handle the gl's. we have guys that really dislike the 66,67 body style. we have guys that think if you have a 2nd gen, the only one that matters is the 69. we have guys that cant see restoring a 73,74 3rd gen. then there are the guys that wouldnt look anywhere but a 71 bee. but we all love those damn chargers to death. this is nothing more than a bunch of kids locked in the house on a rainy day and the power goes out. there aint no way they will agree on anything till the sun shines and the car shows and racing starts again. enjoy the winter. these threads help us all get through it. :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Ghoste

I vote nvrbdn's post ends the discussion!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: and a  :2thumbs: to my GL lovin' brothers.

Bobby41909

Quote from: Ghoste on February 24, 2011, 03:00:18 PM
I vote nvrbdn's post ends the discussion!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: and a  :2thumbs: to my GL lovin' brothers.

Agree..this is getting old already.....Sweet picture Mike!

Ponch ®

Quote from: nvrbdn on February 24, 2011, 02:50:49 PM
well, we have guys on here that cant handle the gl's. we have guys that really dislike the 66,67 body style. we have guys that think if you have a 2nd gen, the only one that matters is the 69. we have guys that cant see restoring a 73,74 3rd gen. then there are the guys that wouldnt look anywhere but a 71 bee. but we all love those damn chargers to death. this is nothing more than a bunch of kids locked in the house on a rainy day and the power goes out. there aint no way they will agree on anything till the sun shines and the car shows and racing starts again. enjoy the winter. these threads help us all get through it. :yesnod:

you forgot the anti-new Charger zealots.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Brock Samson

G-man

FUN? :pullinghair:

I love all 1968 1966-1974 Chargers. Black, purple, blue, white, red, orange, GL, yellow, Green, Brown like the one CB had? etc.

There all good and they all should be made different. Some as GL, some as black, some as what I want to do a GL without a flag and pro-touring wheels, some nice and green as others I have seen on here, others in red etc. Thats what makes them all look good in their own way and different from everybody else. I generally love being tottaly different hence I got my own theme in my head + I loved the DOH so im trying to get something original with a hint of GL about it that way I can live my childhood dream and yet not have a GL... O yeah theres also a cool black charger on here with ghost stripe and a ghost stripe colour swords on the roof with a number on the door, that cars awesome to as well as that beautiful white charger with pro-touring wheels and a red stripe on back with red interior, his car rocks also, not to mention the beautiful qq1 blue 68 pro-touring charger owned by another guy here, I also love Brocks car. He chose awesome looking wheels for the unusual and beautiful colour his charger is.  :2thumbs: :cheers:

jb666

Quote from: Brock Samson on February 24, 2011, 04:14:03 PM
  :cheers: Well said, this was fun wasn't it?..  :icon_smile_big:

yeah, like stickin' your pecker in a fan. Go try it and lemme know how much fun it was  :cheers:

Ponch ®

Quote from: jb666 on February 24, 2011, 06:01:26 PM

yeah, like stickin' your pecker in a fan. Go try it and lemme know how much fun it was  :cheers:

Brock has a lot of fans... :lol:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Brock Samson

jb666

Quote from: Ponch ® on February 24, 2011, 06:03:25 PM
Quote from: jb666 on February 24, 2011, 06:01:26 PM

Brock has a lot of fans... :lol:

I'll bet he does.. Like Chuckie at the gay bar  :shruggy:

MoparManJim

Quote from: G-man on February 24, 2011, 05:54:14 PM
FUN? :pullinghair:

I love all 1968 1966-1974 Chargers. Black, purple, blue, white, red, orange, GL, yellow, Green, Brown like the one CB had? etc.

There all good and they all should be made different. Some as GL, some as black, some as what I want to do a GL without a flag and pro-touring wheels, some nice and green as others I have seen on here, others in red etc. Thats what makes them all look good in their own way and different from everybody else. I generally love being tottaly different hence I got my own theme in my head + I loved the DOH so im trying to get something original with a hint of GL about it that way I can live my childhood dream and yet not have a GL... O yeah theres also a cool black charger on here with ghost stripe and a ghost stripe colour swords on the roof with a number on the door, that cars awesome to as well as that beautiful white charger with pro-touring wheels and a red stripe on back with red interior, his car rocks also, not to mention the beautiful qq1 blue 68 pro-touring charger owned by another guy here, I also love Brocks car. He chose awesome looking wheels for the unusual and beautiful colour his charger is.  :2thumbs: :cheers:

Well you all know something, even for the people that has black '69's on here. You still have a replica car some what from the Dukes tv series because in Season 7 episode 1 "Happy Birthday General Lee" they told the ballad of how the boys got the GL and when he was just a car he was just a black '69 charger (hench why he pose to have had a black engine bay for), Also for you all that have white '69 chargers, you also have a replica car some what as well as in the 2nd season I think it was, they had a Cale episode and his test car on that episode was a white '69 charger that later they repainted into a GL to fool Rosco and the Boss and the Dobro brothers with.

Cooter

That alone probably sums it up.  You like the star car because it's a star, some of us just don't care.  In my case I prefer the Hemi Daytona because it has an actual racing and performance heritage not one created by a producer and stunt team on a Hollywood set.  It would be like Sylvester Stallone walking into a hotel with a bunch of Vietnam vets and not getting special treament.  Then when Sly gets mad and starts shouting "don't you know who I am, I'm the star of Rambo", everyone else saying, "yes, we know who you are and we don't care, these guys over here actually went to war".
You have a car that is recognized by many of the population at large.  Big deal, to me it just doesn't make me pee my pants each time I see it.  It doesn't mena I hate it or especially you, it just means I don't like it.  That's all, nothing more nothing less.

Sure, there are those on here that think their own Daytona/Superbird has a racing heritage, but it doesn't at all..It was a creation at Creative industries for the average guy to buy and make them legal for NASCAR racing.The need for these type threads wouldn't be here if the ones that "Didn't care" or "hate" the GL would keep their mouths shut, but it would seem they have to stir the pot for some sort of cheap thrill every time..Can't help themselves.I personally "Don't care" for cars that people have $100K in, ESPECIALLY the 2nd gen. Hemi cars, but you don't see me spouting the kind of crap the gets spouted every time a GL is mentioned here...So lemme see if I have this correct here....If a HUGE, F14 Style wing is mounted on a Honda, it's Considered Ugly and not worth the time it took to install, but one is mounted on a Base model Roadrunner, with a Hemi/440 SIX PACK and nose cone, then it's considered "Worthy" of it and is worth $100K? Ok, I got it now..

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Brock Samson

Ghoste

Quote from: Cooter on February 24, 2011, 06:22:45 PM
If a HUGE, F14 Style wing is mounted on a Honda, it's Considered Ugly and not worth the time it took to install, but one is mounted on a Base model Roadrunner, with a Hemi/440 SIX PACK and nose cone, then it's considered "Worthy" of it and is worth $100K? Ok, I got it now..

And if a car is used in a broadcast version of a comic book then I'm supposed to go nuts for it every time I see one?
I'll take the 100k Superbird thanks.

Brock Samson