News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hey TUFCAT!

Started by TeeWJay426, February 18, 2011, 01:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TeeWJay426

Just noticed this little tidbit in your sig line:

QuoteSoon to have a very potent "firefighter3931" inspired stock looking 383 under the hood.

Did I miss a thread on this? Come on, spill the beans.... what's cookin' with the Coronet?
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

bakerhillpins

Yea, What up?   :popcrn:

Inquiring minds want to know.  :P
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

TUFCAT

Uh oh... :o  I was hoping to avoid a thread about my engine rebuild so I wouldn't have to post twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy photographs with circles
and arrows and a paragraph explaining each one....but

Since you guys let the (meow) cat out of the bag, I'll post some details tonight - - I'll even include pictures for those "inquiring minds"!  :2thumbs:

A383Wing

Pictures are for those on here who can't read very well

:D

moparstuart

Quote from: A383Wing on February 18, 2011, 03:21:46 PM
Pictures are for those on here who can't read very well

:D
thats me I need the pictures  :2thumbs:  the more the better because i can't read .  short attention span
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

71ChallengeHer

I already saw it on facebook .  :nana:

mikesbbody

A Picture is worth a Thousand words post them up!  :cheers:

Alaskan_TA

TUFCAT

Sorry guys, I don't have much time tonight, this is all I can give....

The engine design was initially spec'd by Ron (firefighter3931). He made the crucial choices and I didn't devitate from his recommondenations. I wanted to build a very nice "stock" 383 that would surprise a lot of people, and I wasn't interested in building a stroker motor.

I also wanted the best of old-school performance - with modern day tricks using using stock manifolds, and keeping a stock appearance. My Coronet looks like a sleeper so a "stroker 383" wouldn't lend itself to the theme of the car.  

My goal with this engine was making it hot as possible, while looking completely stock....which is why I liked Ron's potent .030 over stock appearing 383 recipie. I intitally wanted to use my original 1967 closed chamber heads correct for this engine but many consider the 516 heads to be "low performance heads" I found an unmolested set of "more potent 915 heads" from a 1967 440 HP (w/large valve casting), which I sent to Modern Cylinder Heads for a makeover.

They were machined, ported, and cc'd to 81cc. New bronze guides, hardened valves seats, and 2.08/1.74 stainless steel valves were installed from Mancini Racing, along with Comp cams #911 valve springs and Mancini Racing chrome moly retainers.

MORE TO FOLLOW>>>>>> wait until you hear more about the block.

Bob T

And following this one with Interest  :yesnod:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

elacruze

1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

TUFCAT

The machine work was done by Denny Hummel at Booth-Aron's http://bootharons.net , but the assembly work as done by Denny's buddy Mike Spinazzola. Mike's had nearly 30 years of experience at Chrysler's engine lab, and a well known for Mopar engine building around Detroit.

Lucky for me, both guys treat every engine like a race engine so it was actually overbuilt ...that's okay!  :yesnod:

The oil pan was pulled and the initial worry set in....tons of metal found.  It was later diagnosed as a "shaved" cam bearings. The bearings were literally curled and cut like an onion ring -  then crushed and ground by the crank.

I was worried about cam bearing replacement since nobody made undersized/oversized cam bearings for this motor. I thought it was going to be a very expensive fix, or a boat anchor.

Luckily, once the bearing remnants were cleaned out and determined that the bearing wear the block...we were on our way!!  

MORE TO FOLLOW>>>>>> chosing the right psitons and cam

stripedelete

Quote from: TUFCAT on February 20, 2011, 02:46:58 PM
..........  determined that the bearing wear the block........

Tuffcat , I'm mechanically impaired (but getting much better - thanks to many of you).  What does this mean?

TUFCAT

Quote from: stripedelete on February 20, 2011, 05:25:47 PM

Tuffcat , I'm mechanically impaired (but getting much better - thanks to many of you).  What does this mean?

Stripe, engine bearings nothing like typical bearings ...i.e. think roller bearings.

Crankshafts and camshafts rotate within cast "journals" of the block. Typically there's at least five.

Every journal has a pressed bearing that acts like a sleeve. Bearings are designed to be replaceable because the crank and cam rotate on an axis creating sideways load and oblonged wear.

Without replaceable bearings, engine life and repairabilty would be greatly diminished...rendering the block a "throw away" item.

Basically, the engine bearing is a wearable surface that protects the journal.  :2thumbs:

stripedelete

Quote from: TUFCAT on February 20, 2011, 09:31:07 PM
Quote from: stripedelete on February 20, 2011, 05:25:47 PM

Tuffcat , I'm mechanically impaired (but getting much better - thanks to many of you).  What does this mean?

Stripe, engine bearings nothing like typical bearings ...i.e. think roller bearings.

Crankshafts and camshafts rotate within cast "journals" of the block. Typically there's at least five.

Every journal has a bearing pressed into the block which acts as a sleeve. The bearings are designed to be replaceable since the crank and cam rotate on an axis therefore they always have sideways load causing wear. Without replaceable bearings in a journal, engine life and rebuilabilty would be greatly diminished...basically rendering the block a "throw away" item.

So you determined that the bearing didn't wear through to the block?

TUFCAT

472 R/T SE

Why didn't you want a stroker recipe?

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

TUFCAT

My impression was that it would to expensive. I also wanted to use stock intake and exhaust manfolds - so it didn't seem logical to build a stroker, then limit its potential.

bakerhillpins

Any more updates? Is the sucker in the car yet?   :popcrn:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

TUFCAT

Brian, it's still sitting there...untouched.  :'(

I did buy a complete exhaust systenm from Accurate Ltd, and that's the biggest update!

Somehow our major basement remodeling project came in front of my engine project - which one do you think wifey wants done first?.. :scratchchin: :icon_smile_wink:

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 28, 2011, 11:46:48 AM

I did buy a complete exhaust systenm from Accurate Ltd, and that's the biggest update!

Somehow our major basement remodeling project came in front of my engine project - which one do you think wifey wants done first?.. :scratchchin: :icon_smile_wink:
Poor. Tufkitty.  :pity:

quadram4

OK tuff-one Mike and I r waiting for the eng install, Mike wants to get going on the break-in and I want to hear it run!!! We wikk be there,
Hungry Dago
Hungry Dago

Jake

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on March 28, 2011, 11:48:42 AM
Quote from: TUFCAT on March 28, 2011, 11:46:48 AM

Poor. Tufkitty.  :pity:

Misery loves company Tufcat, I ended up giving my wife priority as well this past winter with a Kitchen remodel. Sucked up lots 0 $$$. We can sit around and look at our stalled car projects.  :cheers: :brickwall: :RantExplode: :shruggy: :cheers:

TUFCAT

It's going to happen this year...don't worry Dago!  :2thumbs:

hemi-hampton

When you getting it repainted? LEON. :scratchchin:

TUFCAT

I'll send you a PM on that.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 28, 2011, 01:50:59 PM
It's going to happen this year...don't worry Dago!  :2thumbs:

So how did it go? I didn't see anything posted about having it all together. :drive:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire