News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

If you could have the job you wanted, what would it be and why?

Started by ChargerBill, January 03, 2006, 02:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orange_Crush

Quote from: 68-70 Charger on January 03, 2006, 12:49:39 PM
Quote from: Orange_Crush on January 03, 2006, 11:52:22 AM
Heh heh Arthur...a big :thumbs: to you.

I remember when you were just a goofy, dorky 17-year-old kid who's greatest aspiration in life was to be a mechanic.   Good job!

By the way, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being a mechanic...its just that, at the time, Art wanted to be a mechanic...he just wasn't doing anything to achieve his goal...all he did was mope around and talk about how much his life sucked.

Thanks yeah I kinda saw the light... You know what did it for me, actually working as a mechanic. Was fun for a month or two than routine struck and that was it for me. I found out I enjoy working on cars as long as they are mine or something special. At least something good came out of it.

Arthur

Great!

Most people don't learn that lesson until afer they've been working 10 years or so.

I had a fraternity brother in college who was 25 when he was a freshman.  I asked him why he finally went to college at 25 and his response was classic.

"I was on my sixth year of doing HVAC work (installing air conditioning systems) and as I was laying on the ground waiting for the ambulance after falling off the extension ladder, the thought entered my mind that, if I went to college, I'd probably never have to climb a ladder again."
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

4402tuff4u

Quote from: NYCMille on January 03, 2006, 11:12:41 AM
Wait until October of this year... I think everyone will be a little surprised...

Hi Mike. I think you gave us a hint several months ago. Is UPS still in the scope? :icon_smile_big:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

NYCMille

So far off you can't even imagine... needless to say everyone on this list will be invited to the grand opening....

4402tuff4u

Dang kid, now you have me wondering! Cool, I'll bring the cold ones! I hope it's a Victoria Secret store and the models will be strutting their stuff!  :icon_smile_tongue: Hopefully by then my 68 R/T will be completed.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Charger_Fan

I'd love to work for someplace like MCR! I might not make tons of money, but the job satisfaction would be GREAT!

Andy's suggestion of a beer taste-tester would be nice too. ;D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

twilt

TruckDriver

Quote from: twilt on January 03, 2006, 02:03:49 PM
always wanted to be owner/operator of a Mopar junkyard.
:iagree:

A muscle car junk yard period! I love old Mustangs & Cameros too :yesnod:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

golden73

Quote from: 68-70 Charger on January 03, 2006, 12:49:39 PM
Quote from: Orange_Crush on January 03, 2006, 11:52:22 AM
Heh heh Arthur...a big :thumbs: to you.

I remember when you were just a goofy, dorky 17-year-old kid who's greatest aspiration in life was to be a mechanic.   Good job!

By the way, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being a mechanic...its just that, at the time, Art wanted to be a mechanic...he just wasn't doing anything to achieve his goal...all he did was mope around and talk about how much his life sucked.

Thanks yeah I kinda saw the light... You know what did it for me, actually working as a mechanic. Was fun for a month or two than routine struck and that was it for me. I found out I enjoy working on cars as long as they are mine or something special. At least something good came out of it.

Arthur

Wow Arthur, I did the exact same thing! I got burned out doing automotive work. I was working 50+ hours a week and I just lost all my ambition to work on cars. I haven't touched the Charger in months   ::)

But for my dream job, it would be none at all. Like after winning a huge lotto jackpot. Then life would be goooooood

Orange_Crush

Quote from: NYCMille on January 03, 2006, 01:40:48 PM
So far off you can't even imagine... needless to say everyone on this list will be invited to the grand opening....

Finally gotten to work on that speed shop huh?
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Ponch ®

Strip Club owner

On that note...

Sometimes the pressures of society make us forget that we already have exactly what we want!
An American businessman was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellow fin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.
The Mexican replied only a little while.
The American then asked why didn't he stay out longer and catch more fish?
The Mexican said he had enough to support his family's immediate needs.
The American then asked, but what do you do with the rest of your time?
The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life, senor."
The American scoffed, "I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds buy a bigger boat with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution.
You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City where you will run your expanding enterprise."
The Mexican fisherman asked, "But senor, how long will this all take?"
To which the American replied, "15-20 years."
"But what then, senor?"
The American laughed and said that's the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions.
"Millions, senor? Then what?"
The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Old Moparz

My dream job would be a automotive, music & media critic/consultant.

Monday:   (This is one of my days off.)

Tuesday:
Wake up when I didn't feel like sleeping anymore.
Have coffee that was freshly roasted the night before.
Browse the newspaper, check messages & emails, read over current topics on DC.com. (Post if necessary.)
Open new music CD's to listen to, review & critique.
Take nap.
Sample & test new audio equipment delivered & set up in my home.
Take new vehicle that was given to me to for a 30 day test drive to meet a friend & have lunch.
Pick up daughter from school & say hello to any of her classmate's hot moms.
Take pics of any hot moms for the "Hot Moms Who Probably Don't Have Chargers Thread" on DC.com.
Record any important observations about test vehicle.
Take afternoon break.
Sort delivered concert tickets to decide which will fit my schedule & plan review & critique.
End of work day.

Wednesday:   (This is one of my other days off.)

Thursday:   
Wake up when I didn't feel like sleeping anymore.
Have coffee that was freshly roasted the night before.
Browse the newspaper, check messages & emails, read over current topics on DC.com. (Post if necessary.)
Drive current test vehicle to race track for performance analysis.
Call wife to remind her to pick up our daughter.
Record any important observations about test vehicle.
Take afternoon break.
Stop at local junkyard to scan Mopar inventory.   (Any Mopars found with decent parts will require overtime for removals.)
Write up reviews & summarize all test data for submittal.
Take nap.
Check messages & emails.
End of work day.

Friday:   (This is one of my days off too.)
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

CaptMarvel

If I'd thought it out more years ago, I'd be a cartoonist now. I've always had the talent (not to sound boastful) & the interest, but the US Navy, and then residential construction came calling. Now I'm a building inspector, but my true love has always been drawing. Superhero stuff, historical art, cartoon art, and of course Car-Toons type automotive art. Man, I miss that magazine...I sadly havent made much time for drawing these past 10 years or so... :rotz:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: NYCMille on January 03, 2006, 01:40:48 PM

Hmm....lets see...... A Quiznos or Subway sandwich shop in Queens?
An eBay auction store?

;) ;)
Either those or a motorcycle performance shop??

I on the other hand would have probably enjoyed my first choice of careers in college.... Computer Technician.....couldnt handle the math though :(
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

John_Kunkel

I'm with my hero Maynard G. Krebs. WORK!!?

Who would "want" a job? A job is something you're stuck with in the absence of alternatives.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ChargerHound69

My dream job would be.......

.....something where I really don't do anything.....
.....I am not responsible for anything......
.....I get paid lots and lots of money.........
........and....
......and.......

......I don't have to be there if I don't want to........

Where do I find this Job????

Doc74

Quote from: ChargerHound69 on January 03, 2006, 04:23:47 PM
My dream job would be.......

.....something where I really don't do anything.....
.....I am not responsible for anything......
.....I get paid lots and lots of money.........
........and....
......and.......

......I don't have to be there if I don't want to........

Where do I find this Job????

The White house ?

My dream job after the lottery winning thing and other unreal dreams is quite doable, I think...
I love the idea of walking from my house into my shop and do restorations and custom jobs all day. I don't have to be rich, I don't have to be a famous sax player, I'm very happy with what I got now, if I can have my own shop I'm shutting up and Cherish what I have.
Of course tied to that would be the dream customers who don't whine because I won't restore their car for 50 bucks but you can't win 'em all....

Lowprofile

Freelance Gynecologist.    :D

My dream job would allow me to work out of my own garage/ home restoring old cars,trucks & motorcycles. To work at my own pace, and to not be on anyone Else's schedule.   :thumbs:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

RD

I have always wanted to own/manage a performance parts store. If I could do anything, no matter how much I make, it would be that. 
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

rare69

Darkness

Well I wouldn't mind winning the lottery and then retire.

charge69

I love what I do right now! Air Traffic Controller at an Enroute Air Traffic Control Center.It is a very demanding job that leaves no room for error and is all you have ever heard about being stressful, but the satisfaction of doing a good job is great! I go in and put in my 8 hours and leave nothing to get done tomorrow!The pay and benefits are very good and retirement is just around the corner at a comfortable income level!   That being said, I would have always liked to be a NASCAR driver!!

kab69440

I want to be one of the guys from Myth Busters. If I have to explain why, it would not do any good to tell you. I'd work that job for free, and be happy about it!
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

TheGhost

Quote from: twilt on January 03, 2006, 02:03:49 PM
always wanted to be owner/operator of a Mopar junkyard.

You mean you don't already do that? ;D

I'd like to be a Veterinarian.  However, I do not think I could handle 8-12 years of college, so I'm just gonna go the 2 year route, and become a Veterinary Technition.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Rocky

Quote from: charge69 on January 03, 2006, 08:23:53 PM
I love what I do right now! Air Traffic Controller at an Enroute Air Traffic Control Center.It is a very demanding job that leaves no room for error and is all you have ever heard about being stressful, but the satisfaction of doing a good job is great! I go in and put in my 8 hours and leave nothing to get done tomorrow!The pay and benefits are very good and retirement is just around the corner at a comfortable income level!   That being said, I would have always liked to be a NASCAR driver!!

I know what you mean.  It must be similar to running a ship into the Hong Kong harbor and running the radar.  That has to be the most stressful moment of my life.  It was like playing that old game Missile Command, but it was real life.  Lucky for you most of the pilots can speak English.

HAZZARDJOHN

My dream job has been the same since I got out of college. Two years ago they opened up a new Polaris Research and Development center in my hometown of Wyoming, MN. In college I wanted to design cars. That was my goal. I have since decided that this town is where I belong, so designing cars is out of the question. Well I took a job designing electrical substations in Minneapolis. I commute an hour a day and I hate the city. I love Polaris snowmobiles, so I am currently going to night school to try and obtain a job at the wyoming plant. They use different software than I use at work so I am taking classes to become proficient with their software. Then I am going to apply. I WILL get a job there and I will have a nice 4 mile commute! :icon_smile_big: and have a job that I love, and be able to snowmobile to work in the winter! :icon_smile_big:

~HJ
My mechanic told me, "I couldn't fix your brakes, but don't worry I made your horn louder."