News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine/Trans Numbers - 68 Charger

Started by macca3441, February 17, 2011, 01:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macca3441

I'm hoping someone here with more knowledge on these matters can point me in the right direction!
Went looking for the numbers on my engine and trans (1968 Charger) today, and have now totally confused myself!
Can someone help me decify these numbers, please?

Engine number found at the driver's side rear pad near starter - PT383R2244056.
Trans number found at the driver's side on lower part of case - PK2801543J 2236 152.

Can anyone help me out, or at least tell me where I can look to gain some info on these, please?
I have decifered the fender tag, and checked against the radiator support panel, and trunk lip! These match!
But, I'm now trying to get a little history on the drivetrain!

Thanks in advance,

Wade

68RED4SPEED

Transmission is a 67-68 383 2 barrel, engine vin-code if its a 1968 can you find beside the oilpressure sending unit in the upper rear of engine, hard to see if engine still is in the car.

no318

Trans VIN # will be right by the engine #, too, on the top of the bellhousing.  Not all 68's had the VIN# on them. 

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Troy

The transmission was built 9/11/67 which would be for a 68 model year vehicle and it was the 152nd produced that day. I doubt you'll find a VIN number on that engine since it's a) a non-HP and b) fairly early in the model year. The part number is for 383 2bbl application as stated above.

If I'm decoding the engine right, it's a 383 assembled on 9/17/67 and was the 56th built that day. It takes regular fuel - which is standard for the 383 2bbl. There are casting numbers on the side of the block that will give you more information.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

macca3441

Mine doesn't have the numbers at the top near the oil pressure sender, nor the trans numbers there as well!!
Any other way to tell 100% if this drivetrain belongs to this car??
Troy, will the casting numbers tell you any more?
Are they located on passenger side of block?

Thanks,

Wade

Dans 68

Quote from: macca3441 on February 17, 2011, 04:46:11 PM
Mine doesn't have the numbers at the top near the oil pressure sender, nor the trans numbers there as well!!
Any other way to tell 100% if this drivetrain belongs to this car??....

No. But if the scheduled build date for your car is after the build dates for the drivetrain then you can assume they are original. But you cannot be 100% certain.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Troy

The casting numbers only help to verify the stampings. They will tell you what size (383), part number (should verify 383), casting date (should be prior to the assembly date), shift produced, and core number. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell with any certainty if the car is numbers matching prior to about the middle of the 68 model year since not everything was stamped with the car's VIN. However, the dates will give a clue since you can't have an engine or transmission produced *after* the car. Since yours is fairly early (barely 3 months into production) you have better odds if the dates match simply because there weren't many finished cars yet. The downside is that the 383 2bbl was the second most produced model behind the 318 so there were still a lot.

Troy

macca3441

Dan, and Troy,

The engine number stamped into the pad near the distributor, what's it's relation to anything?
That number is D383919.
Does it mean anything?

Thanks,

Wade

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Troy on February 17, 2011, 05:14:10 PM
The casting numbers only help to verify the stampings. They will tell you what size (383), part number (should verify 383), casting date (should be prior to the assembly date), shift produced, and core number. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell with any certainty if the car is numbers matching prior to about the middle of the 68 model year since not everything was stamped with the car's VIN. However, the dates will give a clue since you can't have an engine or transmission produced *after* the car. Since yours is fairly early (barely 3 months into production) you have better odds if the dates match simply because there weren't many finished cars yet. The downside is that the 383 2bbl was the second most produced model behind the 318 so there were still a lot.

Troy

Troy, I've yet to see any real research on what 68's got VIN stamps and which ones didn't. I've read a lot of urban legend and specualtion but never seen any facts. From my obersvations, when the VIN was applied to the engine and tranny seems to vary by plant. One plant, say STL may be stamped early in the year while another plant, say Hamtramck, may not show stampings until the middle of the year. I don't think there are any sweeping generalizations that apply to 68 VIN stampings. :Twocents:
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: macca3441 on February 17, 2011, 05:51:46 PM
Dan, and Troy,

The engine number stamped into the pad near the distributor, what's it's relation to anything?
That number is D383919.
Does it mean anything?

Thanks,

Wade

D  - Series  1968
383 - Engine size
919 - Engine Assembly Date - Sept 19, 1967

The engine date Troy mentioned earlier (9/17/67 ) would be the machining date.

Have you got a fender tag or build sheet showing the scheduled production date of the car?

macca3441

Attached the fender tag!

maxwellwedge

9-18 scheduled date  - I would say your engine and trans are originals....but I would also say your car was built up to a few weeks after the 9-18 date. The 68's were selling like hotcakes so they were backed up a little for sure - especially earlier in the run like yours.

macca3441

Also, (if it helps) here is a photo of the casting numbers on my engine block!

Thanks in advance,

Wade

Troy

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on February 17, 2011, 05:54:34 PM

Troy

Troy, I've yet to see any real research on what 68's got VIN stamps and which ones didn't. I've read a lot of urban legend and specualtion but never seen any facts. From my obersvations, when the VIN was applied to the engine and tranny seems to vary by plant. One plant, say STL may be stamped early in the year while another plant, say Hamtramck, may not show stampings until the middle of the year. I don't think there are any sweeping generalizations that apply to 68 VIN stampings. :Twocents:
You know, I just fell into that same trap. My May 1968 Charger 383 2bbl didn't have any stamps on the engine or transmission. I guess I should do more research. Either way, it's safe to say that not all of them would have been stamped (and stop right there).

Troy

no318

Quote from: Troy on February 18, 2011, 09:51:11 AM
Quote from: 69CoronetRT on February 17, 2011, 05:54:34 PM

Troy

You know, I just fell into that same trap. My May 1968 Charger 383 2bbl didn't have any stamps on the engine or transmission. I guess I should do more research. Either way, it's safe to say that not all of them would have been stamped (and stop right there).

Troy

I have to agree with Doug.  He knows his stuff.  My 68 RT 440 has a SPD of early Dec. 1967.  It has a block cast in 9/67 and does have the VIN stamped on the block and bellhousing.  Hamtramck built car.                              

maxwellwedge

December isn't that early - It's almost 1/2 way into the production year.

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: macca3441 on February 17, 2011, 10:19:37 PM

Thanks in advance,

Wade
What is the casting date of your block?

macca3441

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on February 20, 2011, 08:18:40 PM

Thanks in advance,

Wade

Hi,
I'm not sure what other numbers I can give other than the info I've provided earlier in this thread!
Shouldn't the casting numbers in the above photo tell the casting date?

Thanks,

Wade

Sixt8Chrgr

Quote from: macca3441 on February 20, 2011, 10:36:41 PM
Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on February 20, 2011, 08:18:40 PM

Thanks in advance,

Wade

Hi,
I'm not sure what other numbers I can give other than the info I've provided earlier in this thread!
Shouldn't the casting numbers in the above photo tell the casting date?

Thanks,

Wade
Look on the other side of the block.

macca3441

I should've looked a little further!
Thanks mate!

Wade

Sixt8Chrgr

Looks like all your dates match up well. I would guess your block is a born with piece.