News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Replacing Radiator and want to switch to electric fan.

Started by Canadian1968, February 13, 2011, 12:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

Hey,

New to the board, I have a 68 Charger R/T with a 440.  Just before I put it away for winter notice that the radiator was leaking.  I would like to replace it with a new aluminum one come spring time, I would also like to switch to an electric fan setup. The car is stock right now but future plans do not exceed 500 HP.  My questions are as follows :

Would this be a good replacement -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-1969-1970-Dodge-Charger-3-Row-Aluminum-Radiator-BB-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZYearQ3a1969Q7cModelQ3aChargerQ7cMakeQ3aDodgeQQhashZitem19c317c5d2QQitemZ110647297490QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_8107wt_1165

Would this electric fan work ? -
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/affansh20x18.html

Finally what else do I need to do , to switch to the electric fan, a new pulley setup to delete the stock fan ?

Thanks in advance !

firefighter3931

Those rads work good. I had one on my 440 with an electric fan and it worked fine but have since upgraded to an AFCO race radiator....new motor is a 720HP stroker so i felt an upgrade was in order.  ;)  Where are you located ? My old one is for sale if you're close by.

I can't comment on the electric fan you linked to but it looks descent. The rad i have will accept a stock shroud which is not a bad way to go with a street car, for simplicity's sake.  ;)

A member here was having hot engine issues and used this rad with a stock shroud and a flex fan i gave him mounted as a direct drive and it stays at 170* in traffic all day long. Simple, easy & reliable  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Canadian1968

Alright so the fan looks like a good choice

But would not recomment the electric fan?

firefighter3931

Quote from: Canadian1968 on February 14, 2011, 06:45:30 PM
Alright so the fan looks like a good choice

But would not recomment the electric fan?

Electric fans require a lot of amperage so if you have the stock alternator it will need to be upgraded.  :yesnod:

A mechanical fan & shroud combination works fine in just about any application....the only real reason not to run one is for clearance issues. The electric fan might free up a few horspower but for a street car, reliability is more of a concern....my opinion of course  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

b5blue

Fan/fans would be a big draw at idle when needed most and stock alt. output is very low...Ron is right. (again!)  :yesnod:

six-tee-nine

Almost every modern car uses electric fans so if you buy good quality products you cant go wrong.
Viscous fans are like drum brakes for me personally, they are nice but there's better stuf these days......

Anyway, upgrading to a shroud is alway a good thing if you would choose for a mech fan.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...