News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear deck trim

Started by vandie12, February 04, 2011, 12:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandie12

Does anyone have a pic on how the rear trim apperas on a 69. I put in a new rear valance and wanted to add the rear trim but not sure how it lines up or fastens to the valance.

Back N Black

This help?

vandie12

Thanks for the pic but I have a few of those :).....  I'm looking for how the 2 corners bolt into the rear panel. The top chrome piece is a no brainer, but the side pieces are abit of an issue with the new rear valance. There seems to be a quite a gap between the corner piece and where the small screw goes into the valance.

HOTROD

How about this --not mine .
What the Hell-Dumass !

vandie12

Thanks, but thats not it either.... I'm trying to attach the chrome corner pieces on to the rear valance, they slide into the chrome top deck lid. There are a couple of studs that stick out of the chrome which will have to have a hole drilled into the valance and will take a nut on the inside, than there is a small screw in the bottom of the chrome that goes into the bottom corner of the valance.  The probem is the alignment to the corner caps. and I have a gap at the bottom where the small screw goes through the chrome into the valance.

Troy

I don't think the trim on a 69 goes down to the valance?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

vandie12

Thanks Troy, something like that is what I'm looking for, but some of the pics that I have seen shows a gap between the chrome and the body or the corner cap piece. The corner piece I have is an original and the chrome piece is a repo the 2 just dont seem to have the same countor (sp) when I put the chrome piece inside the corner cap.

Troy

If your trim is reproduction then that's most likely your problem. The car in the pictures is a survivor and those parts are all original (and probably have never been removed). I have more pictures from different angles but I thought you were looking for the ones of the lower area.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Patronus

Quote from: HOTROD on February 05, 2011, 12:29:13 AM

is that 1/4" rod welded on the end? Somethin' custom?
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

vandie12

I thought the end welded is custom also, glad someone else noticed that. Troy if you could post some from that whole area it would be appreciated. The pics I have from other 69's show a gap of some kind between the chrome and the end but I dont see that in yours, from the pic's you posted. 

doctor4766

Why don't you post the pics that YOU have and we can assess them?
Gotta love a '69

bill440rt

I think I know the problem you are having.
Did you get repro trim pieces, or are they originals? I went thru several sets of repro trim, back & forth with the supplier until I found a set that fit correctly. The repros did not have the proper curve that the originals did. I finally sent him a tracing of my original moldings that he matched up with a set of repros to get me a pair that had the correct curve.

I took these pictures while fitting up the trim. The top first picture shows how the original molding fits.
The others are fitting up the repro moldings. The top long stainless molding is the original.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

Here they are fully fitted. Hope this helps you.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

vandie12

Yes thank you........... this is exactly what I have run into

twodko

Hey vandie12,

I have a couple pair of OEM corner moldings for my 69. I have a left one that's freshly rechromed but the right piece didn't get done....the guy went belly up. I bought a new set from BE&A, they look great buuut they also don't fit as well as OEM. If I knew of a reputable rechrome shop that's reasonable (yeah, right) I'd send the OEM ones out and have them done. It was cheaper to buy repops than rechome my originals.  :shruggy:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

HOTROD

Those corners are wrong !!!! :Twocents:
What the Hell-Dumass !

HOTROD

Quote from: Patronus on February 05, 2011, 02:46:01 PM
Quote from: HOTROD on February 05, 2011, 12:29:13 AM

is that 1/4" rod welded on the end? Somethin' custom?
I got the pic's from a guy doing custom corners, been doing research on them my self I have the driver side crushed ,I am copying the design for mine !
What the Hell-Dumass !

gtx6970

I'll get you a picture later today unless someone beats me to it