News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

original general lee on ebay.parts taken off. what is your opinion??

Started by police1, February 09, 2011, 09:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

A lot of the GL's appeal is the childhood connection.  There's no measuring what that can make an object worth to some people.    

The original Luke Skywalker lightsaber handle prop was nothing special.  Just an old 1930s/40s press photography flashbulb handle with a few extra little parts glued onto it.  But let's see what the real thing from the 1977 movie would bring on Ebay.  

UH60L

Quote from: Richard Cranium on February 15, 2011, 04:45:40 PM
That's where the confusion/misunderstanding lies. Yes, I can understand that John Schneider's personal car IS worth a bunch of dough because it was on the show, it was his car, has documentation, and is signed by him. As evidenced by what you can see in the trunk photo, that car is far from a pristine show car and I understand that the value is based on who owned it, not the condition. That being said, some of you guys make it sound like any & all of the old Dukes tv cars are the holy grail of Chargers; I  just happen to think otherwise.  :nana:

As much as it may pain a few here, I still stand by my earlier comments that the fleabay car in the link above is still just a roach.  :icon_smile_wink:

Ok, pay attention.  Here is a quote from the above post:

"John S. put a car in the Barret Jackson years back that was never on the TV show or movie"

Notice his car WAS NEVER ON THE TV SHOW OR MOVIE.  IE, eeeeeehhhh, wrong again.

AND, as stated before, there are only 17 "any & all of the old Dukes tv cars".  The rest, as far as we know, were curshed and scrapped.

So, yes, in essence, those 17 ARE a holy grail of sorts.  If that car on ebay was one of the 17, then it WAS worth quite a bit before it was piece mealed out for money.

Now stop trolling.  (or if you really don't get it, please go do some research (google) before you post this crap)

Richard Cranium

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 16, 2011, 02:19:02 AM

A lot of the GL's appeal is the childhood connection.     

And others are just obsessed (as some here are). Now, who's going to fess up to owning this?   :lol:

I am Dr. Remulac

WB General Lee

The General Lee is the most famous movie car of all time. Only the Batmobile can be argued against that statement. All ages know this car. Out of the 25 or so Mopar musclecars I have owned never a car got the attention this one does. I could park next to a Hemi Cuda or a 427 Vette at the Woodward Cruise and people would come up to the General Lee. They didn't even know the car was authentic but when they found out, they would go crazy.

Yes John S. car did have lots of autographs on that car but which show or movie was that car ever seen on? It was only in a reunion show years after the TV show that was not that great. It also had an very average paint job on it. It is worth some money but not 450,000. I was offered one of Johns cars years back I think it was the first one he built and owned for a while. They wanted under 20k.  It had registration of ownership but wasn't in the best shape but that's far from 450,000. I could have put a Hemi in it and had 35k in it.

Not all the GL's were junk. How old were those cars in 1978 when the Dukes of Hazzard began? Not even 10 years old.

UH60L

Quote from: Richard Cranium on February 16, 2011, 07:12:10 AM

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 16, 2011, 02:19:02 AM

A lot of the GL's appeal is the childhood connection.     

And others are just obsessed (as some here are). Now, who's going to fess up to owning this?   :lol:

That's quite a collection of stuff.

MY family was what you might call "poor" (or at least my dad thought we were....), so the only thing I ever got related to the show was a hot wheel car and a couple of tyco slot cars.  Well, that and a never ending desire to own a '68 or '69 charger.  Buying one finally is a decision I will never regret.

GL#10

There are 23 tv series General Lee survivors , not just the 17  , and now there are a bunch of movie General Lee survivors as well .

K.c

Cooter

UH60L, I usually try to stay away from General Lee posts as this is what happens with the haters. You can mention Hemi Chargers all day long and nobody gives a sh*t, but mention the most famous Car ever concieved, and here come the haters. Theycannot help themselves. it is an uncontrollable reflex to try and crush on that orange Dodge everytime there's a thread on it. You are not alone in your love for that car my friend...You might wanna think about Carlisle this year, my General Lee will be there and The CCC (Christine Car Club)has a little surprize...Love for the General Lee will never die. Hemi Chargers are loved, but only buy a certain group..The GL is picking up younger and younger viewers daily. I still see little kids running up to my car with that same look of wonder and amazement you and a whole lot of others had way back in 1979...They could give two rats asses about a 426 Hemi Charger, one of 3...Like it or not, DMCL Charger is famous, but no car will EVER be as famous as the General Lee...

Stand on it brother, and don't let these haters get to ya....PS, does anybody remember the DOH Eating trays with the fold out legs underneath? I got one and thought maybe ya'll would like a picture of it..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

police1

UH60L

Quote from: GL#10 on February 17, 2011, 03:36:34 AM

There are 23 tv series General Lee survivors , not just the 17  ,that keeps getting played over and over , and now there are a bunch of movie General Lee survivors as well .

K.c

I don't know about nay of that other stuff, bt as for the numer of General Lees, I know htere were 17 purchased form Warner Brothers, and that they kept 2 or 3 for putting on display or in museums or something, so that would be 20, and I know that "LEE 1" was saved and restored, so that would be 21.  I don't know about any others, though I have seen mention on here recently that a couple slipped out and were not crushed.  

In my comment above, i referred to 17 out there in the world.  I figure the "LEE 1" is probably in a museum or in storage, and don't really count that one, nor do I count the ones still owned by Warner Brothers or Universal or whoever owns them now.  I don't count the ones from the 2005 movie either.  I won't let my family watch it.  I watched it and mostly cringed.  Turnign the car into a symbol of hatred to kiss up to people?!!, Wrong, just wrong.

djcarguy

SO ANYONE EVEN KNOW WHO IS SIGNING THE TRUNK LID IN PICTURE????HELL OF AN INVESTMENT IF THEY LOST 200,000 K ON SALE OF JOHN'S CAR..   I WATCHED THE SHOW AND HAVE MODELS AND SOME TOYS,AND A ORANGE PICKUP .   BYE

pipeliner

Quote from: djcarguy on February 17, 2011, 03:17:15 PM
    SO ANYONE EVEN KNOW WHO IS SIGNING THE TRUNK LID IN PICTURE????HELL OF AN INVESTMENT IF THEY LOST 200,000 K ON SALE OF JOHN'S CAR..   I WATCHED THE SHOW AND HAVE MODELS AND SOME TOYS,AND A ORANGE PICKUP .   BYE
Nobody even noticed they waisted a good 70 decklid on it  :lol:.I like General Lees but when I think of the Dodge Charger that was in a REAL MOVIE the big black 68 in Bulitt comes to mind first.

moparstuart

Quote from: pipeliner on February 17, 2011, 07:41:55 PM
Quote from: djcarguy on February 17, 2011, 03:17:15 PM
    SO ANYONE EVEN KNOW WHO IS SIGNING THE TRUNK LID IN PICTURE????HELL OF AN INVESTMENT IF THEY LOST 200,000 K ON SALE OF JOHN'S CAR..   I WATCHED THE SHOW AND HAVE MODELS AND SOME TOYS,AND A ORANGE PICKUP .   BYE
Nobody even noticed they waisted a good 70 decklid on it  :lol:.I like General Lees but when I think of the Dodge Charger that was in a REAL MOVIE the big black 68 in Bulitt comes to mind first.
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Cooter

QuoteNobody even noticed they waisted a good 70 decklid on it  :lol:.I like General Lees but when I think of the Dodge Charger that was in a REAL MOVIE the big black 68 in Bulitt comes to mind first.

Then it ust REALLY suck when you ask anybody on the street about a black Charger and nobody has even heard of "Bulitt", cept for the Mopar People....

By the post above, it shows you can paint ANYTHING Orange and an"01" on the doors and it's clearly visible as the "General Lee"...Hate on it if you like, but we all know that's primarily what got most of us right here on this very site...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Brock Samson

WB General Lee

That was Enos that was signing the decklid and Cletus also. My other car is signed by John and Daisey.
Don't forget the John S. car sold in a recession for 250,000
Here are my two cars finally reunited!

CornDogsCharger

Quote from: UH60L on February 16, 2011, 02:21:31 AM

Ok, pay attention.  Here is a quote from the above post:

"John S. put a car in the Barret Jackson years back that was never on the TV show or movie"

Notice his car WAS NEVER ON THE TV SHOW OR MOVIE.  IE, eeeeeehhhh, wrong again.

AND, as stated before, there are only 17 "any & all of the old Dukes tv cars".  The rest, as far as we know, were curshed and scrapped.

So, yes, in essence, those 17 ARE a holy grail of sorts.  If that car on ebay was one of the 17, then it WAS worth quite a bit before it was piece mealed out for money.

Now stop trolling.  (or if you really don't get it, please go do some research (google) before you post this crap)

WB had 19 cars left over.  They sold 17 to The Dodge Charger Registry (Wayne Wooten) and kept two cars.  One was a close up car and the other was the sound stage car.  Lee 1 was found in GA (20).  #13 (the car mentioned in this thread) was found in North Carolina in the back yard of one of the stunt men (21).  And finally, 2 beat up Chargers that were used in the low budget movie "Gladiator" were found on a lot in California.  Both of these cars were former General Lees purchased from WB after the series was over.  (22 & 23).  There's your 23 TV series cars.  Theres no telling how many other cars might still be out there waiting to be found.

The TV series close up car that WB kept (when they sold the other 17) was repainted and used in "Forever Young" in the early 90's.  Then this car was repainted back into a GL and used in both '97 and '00 TV Reunion movies.  Two more cars were purchased for the TV Reunion movies, one of which I have... and John Schneider's General Lee was leased and used in the Reunions also.  So that makes 1 TV series car and 3 additional cars used for the Reunions.  

All of the TV Reunion cars, minus John's car, (3) was used again in the the '05 and '07 Dukes Movies.  25 additional Chargers were purchased for the 05/07 movies.  1 of the 25 cars was never painted/built and was only used for parts.  

So lets see...... 23 surviving TV series cars + 3 additional Reunion cars + 24 additional "used" 05/07 Movie cars = a grand total of 50 known surviving WB General Lees.

Justin
"CornDog"
1966 Dodge Charger
1969 Dodge Charger (DMCL Project)
1969 Dodge Charger (WB General Lee "GL#004")
1969 Dodge Super Bee

Ghoste

Quote from: Cooter on February 18, 2011, 01:35:03 PM
Hate on it if you like, but we all know that's primarily what got most of us right here on this very site...

Really?  MOST of us?  I think that is probably what drives the "hate" for the GL.  It isn't the way they boogered up the car, it's the way fans of the show have this bizarre notion that most people who own a 2nd gen Charger do so because of the show.  I honestly respect your devotion to it and without taking away any of the popularity of the program itself, I do not for one second believe it is anywhere nearly as responsible for the number of Chargers on the road today as DOH fans think.

Mike DC

I agree with Ghoste.  

The popularity of DOH is probably enough to get a couple Chargers restored for every one wrecked by the show.   But it's not the primary reason the car is sought-after.  Not even close.  

I think the entire effect of Hollywood's Charger usage in the last 40 years (not just DOH alone) might have boosted the car's status by 25%.  Maybe less.  The vast majority of the car's popularity is not due to Hollywood.  

WB General Lee

I think the winged cars added to the popularity of Chargers. The GL may or may not have brought people to restore Chargers but it didnt hurt. I dont think you could argue that the General Lee its the most popular Charger ever.

Richard Cranium

Quote from: Ghoste on February 19, 2011, 01:27:14 AM
Hate on it if you like, but we all know that's primarily what got most of us right here on this very site...

Really?  MOST of us?  I think that is probably what drives the "hate" for the GL.  It isn't the way they boogered up the car, it's the way fans of the show have this bizarre notion that most people who own a 2nd gen Charger do so because of the show.  I honestly respect your devotion to it and without taking away any of the popularity of the program itself, I do not for one second believe it is anywhere nearly as responsible for the number of Chargers on the road today as DOH fans think.

BINGO, We have a winner!!!   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
I am Dr. Remulac

c00nhunterjoe

I think if you are drivinng a general lee then you are an obvious fan, if you charger is not a general lee then I bet you at least know of the show. I love the charger for its lines and curves. I grew up with the dukes and airwolf. I bought a charger to make a general lee because that's the paint I want on my car. I love going to car shows to see what other people have done. You will NEVER hear me harass anyone about the choices they made on their car so please don't harass me about mine.
   I take that back.... if you have aa 69 that is 100% restored to all factory codes for your car, origonal paint, rims and bias ply tires then YOU, and only YOU can ride me about my car. But looking through the avatar pics and photo galleries I would bet that 80 to 90% of dc.com memberss have taken liberties in their restorations.

Brock Lee

Quote from: Ghoste on February 19, 2011, 01:27:14 AM

AMEN!