News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

original general lee on ebay.parts taken off. what is your opinion??

Started by police1, February 09, 2011, 09:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

police1

did anyone see the general lee(#13) on e-bay? ashame someone in the first place repainted it but took off doors,fenders,etc... and replaced with other stuff and repainted it! of course sold parts to make more money from it. ::) sad that people can't leave something as found and not rob parts then try to sell as an original form the series? if half of the parts or more arent original anymore what do you call  it??

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Richard Cranium

There were about 600 General Lees made for the show.; who cares if it's one of them. As far as I can tell, that car's just a roach.
I am Dr. Remulac

JT01

I first saw that car in person at DukesFest 2001 I liked the way it looked then better all faded than the way it does now. I would love to have it to put in my Dukes collection

UH60L

Quote from: Richard Cranium on February 10, 2011, 07:24:46 PM
There were about 600 General Lees made for the show.; who cares if it's one of them. As far as I can tell, that car's just a roach.

Gee, troll much?

In reality, in the 31 years or so since the show went off the air, the highest estimate I have heard or read is that they made / used 321 cars, a huge, ginormous amount that was, in fact, , less than .1 % of all '68 and '69 chargers comined.

Contrary to some people's belief, being a general lee that was used in teh show actually does make the car worth more money.

But hey, some people will coninue to hate and throw out disinformation.

Whatever.  Don't forget to check your bate once in a while.......

JT01

The count was 319 or 321 for the Chargers used they did use about 600 police cars thats what the lead mechanic Tom Sacramento said.

WB General Lee

Whether its 300 or 600 its sure hard to find anyone who owns an original one especially with paperwork. There are sure none in my town. I have been offered 100k for mine.

UH60L

I've only ever seen one in person.  A guy from Seattle brought his car down to Salem for our club's all mopar show a few years ago.  He was appearantly one of the people that did the "group buy" of the remaining cars (17 of them I think) from Warner Brothers (or whoever owned them at the time).

He left it in "as was" condition, still had dings and small dent.  He let me climb through the window and get my picture taken and let me get a shot of my car next to it at the end of the day.

I don't remember his name, but he was a really nice guy, and seemed to have as much fun talking to people about the car as they did getting to see it.

I would imagine those cars are worth $100k or more depending on the condition and finding a buyer that really wants one.

It's a shame that a charger would get piece mealed out and sold like that, general lee or not.

Mike DC

We'll never know what the surviving real GLs would/should be worth.  Every phony sale of a "real GL" in the last 30 years has diluted the theoretical demand for the real ones. 

WB General Lee

Its all in the documentation and paperwork. The more you have, the more a car is worth.

Mike DC

The 17 tv-series cars from Wayne Wooten's deal and the 2005 movie cars are the vast majority of the survivors, and they are not really in any question. 

The problem is just with the other cars.  The few undocumented tv-series cars that somehow got out against WB's will, the few other cars that have some link to WB or the show's mechanics but were never actually used onscreen, etc.

Richard Cranium

Quote from: UH60L on February 11, 2011, 03:35:04 PM

Gee, troll much?

In reality, in the 31 years or so since the show went off the air, the highest estimate I have heard or read is that they made / used 321 cars, a huge, ginormous amount that was, in fact, , less than .1 % of all '68 and '69 chargers comined.

Contrary to some people's belief, being a general lee that was used in teh show actually does make the car worth more money.

I'm not a fisherman; do roaches make good bait?
I am Dr. Remulac

WB General Lee

To me the ones linked to the mechanics don't have to much value over a replica. A screen used car will always have the value and if you have documents then you are solid. When any car has seen the camera it is valuable even if it had a small part.

UH60L

Quote from: Richard Cranium on February 12, 2011, 07:14:47 AM
Quote from: UH60L on February 11, 2011, 03:35:04 PM

Gee, troll much?

I'm not a fisherman; do roaches make good bait?

Nah, fish don't like pot, except that one in the Cheech and Chong movie that "fish lipped it".     :icon_smile_cool:

Richard Cranium

Quote from: UH60L on February 11, 2011, 08:27:31 PM
I would imagine those cars are worth $100k or more depending on the condition and finding a buyer that really wants one.

$100 large for a General Lee Charger that was on the tv show???? It's plain to see that every car they used was a beat box (at best) and they "retired" from the show in even worse shape. However, if that 100 large figure is true, that would make a low mileage fully restored Hemi car worth about elevety billion.  :yesnod:

I am Dr. Remulac

WB General Lee

Let me know when you find a stunt General Lee that carries a Warner Brothers title and a folder of documentation with pictures of the car on the movie set and DMV records of when the car car was purchased by WB that is in fantastic shape with all the stunt modifications still intact and let me know what they are asking for the car. Just curious if you have ever seen one.

John S. put a car in the Barret Jackson years back that was never on the TV show or movie and he got 450,000 and then a few years later when the market crashed it still brought 250,000.

UH60L

Quote from: Richard Cranium on February 15, 2011, 06:42:53 AM
Quote from: UH60L on February 11, 2011, 08:27:31 PM

$100 large for a General Lee Charger that was on the tv show???? It's plain to see that every car they used was a beat box (at best) and they "retired" from the show in even worse shape. However, if that 100 large figure is true, that would make a low mileage fully restored Hemi car worth about elevety billion.  :yesnod:

I shouldn't even respond, but just in case you really don't understand........

There are 17 documented, sold by Warner Brothers, SURVIVOR General Lee cars out there in the world.  17 out of an approximate 320 used on the show.  These 17 were not "retired" from the show.  They were not the ones you see with the whole frame bent 45 degrees.

And, yes, they really are worth that much, or more.  The reality is, there are fewer documented original General Lee cars than there are '69 charger daytonas or '70 Hemi 'cudas.

If you really didn't know that, well fine.  If your just trolling, then I see why you use that name.   ;)

Richard Cranium

That's where the confusion/misunderstanding lies. Yes, I can understand that John Schneider's personal car IS worth a bunch of dough because it was on the show, it was his car, has documentation, and is signed by him. As evidenced by what you can see in the trunk photo, that car is far from a pristine show car and I understand that the value is based on who owned it, not the condition. That being said, some of you guys make it sound like any & all of the old Dukes tv cars are the holy grail of Chargers; I  just happen to think otherwise.  :nana:

As much as it may pain a few here, I still stand by my earlier comments that the fleabay car in the link above is still just a roach.  :icon_smile_wink:

I am Dr. Remulac

Mike DC

The Titanic is basically just a rotten blob of iron oxide too.  But people pay zillions of dollars for little scraps of it.  A very nice replica of a Titanic relic does not sell for more than the raggedy original. 

To each his own.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

Richard Cranium

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 15, 2011, 04:58:39 PM

The Titanic is basically just a rotten blob of iron oxide too.  But people pay zillions of dollars for little scraps of it.  A very nice replica of a Titanic relic does not sell for more than the raggedy original. 

To each his own.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

1. If there were several hundred Titanics lying around, the price of scraps from each one would be worth far less.

2. Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes all the way to the bone.  

I am Dr. Remulac

Ghoste

Even though on the one hand I could say that I completely don't get a GL being worth so much money, on the other side I have to admit that if someone came to me with whatever was left of modelmakers old DMCL Charger, I would pay a stupid amount of money for it.  Maybe not as much as that GL is going for but I would pay a lot of money for it even if it is crushed ball of rusting sheet metal.  I'm not really sure what a stupid amount is specifically for a crushed rusty ball  but I know I would outbid the Chinese scrap dealers.

Brock Samson

Quote from: Ghoste on February 15, 2011, 05:25:14 PM
Even though on the one hand I could say that I completely don't get a GL being worth so much money, on the other side I have to admit that if someone came to me with whatever was left of modelmakers old DMCL Charger, I would pay a stupid amount of money for it.  Maybe not as much as that GL is going for but I would pay a lot of money for it even if it is crushed ball of rusting sheet metal.  I'm not really sure what a stupid amount is specifically for a crushed rusty ball  but I know I would outbid the Chinese scrap dealers.

That made me laugh a fair amount..   :lol:

Ghoste

I suppose my point is just that we all like what we like and it's value is relative.

Brock Samson

Quote from: Ghoste on February 15, 2011, 05:29:55 PM
I suppose my point is just that we all like what we like and it's value is relative.

I know what you meant, It was just expressed in a rather insightful manner...  :rofl: