News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

413 question

Started by skeets 66, March 31, 2011, 08:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeets 66

I am looking at a few different things for my 66 charger...found a great running 413 out of a motor home...has 41,000 miles. Would this be an ok motor for the charger ? I have been told it will fit but would need a different oil pan,,is this true ?? I'm not looking at a show car or anything like that,,,,,just something to put in the car and drive around. My wife is watching my cash going in so not a ton to spend..I have a 361 that came out of the car,,,but it's seen it better days. any input from you guys would be great :scratchchin:

I have looked at a few running 440's,,,just can't fit it in the money plans right now

Thanks
Jeff
Pittsburgh Pa

Cooter

Gotta watch those Motorhome 413's...Some came through with "Truck" heads and the entire top end is different from a "car", or "normal" 413/440....Yes, a "truck" oil pan has a REAR sump and pick-up...You will need to swap it for a "Car" oil pan and pick-up...
Beyond that, the 413 is a VERY expensive engine to get performance pistons for...For the same size and weight, a 440 is a better choice..It isn't a BAD engine, but if it needs a rebuild, you will spend money...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

greenpigs

If it is in good running shape I wouldn't think twice about using it but like said if a rebuild was needed I would use that $ too get a 440.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

ITSA426

No replacement for displacement.  I think you can use the stuff off your 361 to make it fit, but it could get expensive.

Rallyecharger

Check out the motor while it is running in the motorhome,
compression test,oil pressure test....look/listen for anything weird.
Generally speaking, motorhome mileage is hwy trips and not beaten on like the muscle car stuff....and usually the motorhomes have a good maintainence history. :Twocents:

Tell your wife you need more money....  :yesnod:

daveco

If the water pump is up about even with the carb, it's an industrial/truck/motorhome specific engine. like Cooter says, good engine, but not for a Charger.
R/Tree

ACUDANUT

Run...They are slow torque pigs.

skeets 66

i have a 318 and a 361,,,,,matbe i should just stick with one of those  :shruggy:

ACUDANUT

Find a 383 or 440 (not out of a motorhome or truck) Be patient and find a good running one cheap.

Cooter

Agreed, plenty of 440's out there...There's a reason people are selling Motorhome/truck 413/440's cheap...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

greenpigs

So can the water pump housing be swaped for a passenger car one or is the block different? I have heard about the larger water collant passages in the block & heads but never seen a complete RV motor.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

ITSA426

Looking at your first post Jeff, and if you are thinking about keeping the 361, why not look for a MOPAR dual quad set up?  Lots of fun, it's different, and it all bolts to a 383 if you ever think the 361 needs a rebuild.

Kern Dog

Motor home engines with the high mount water pump are nothing to be scared of.
You have to change a few things, but what the heck... we are all "hands on" guys here, right? The DOWNside to any motorhome mill is the LOW compression, wth many being in the 7 to 1 range. A low mileage, good running  MH 413 would outrun a 318 or 361. It may not be worth the expense to REbuild a 413 since decent high compression pistons are NOT "on the shelf" pieces. Sure, Diamond or Ross could possibly bang out a set for you, but be prepared with a tube of Preparation H.
I have a 53,000 mile MH 440 in my '74 Truck. Great oil pressure, no oil burning and decent power.

ACUDANUT

To answer your question, just remove the high/tall water pump housing and bolt your 361 onto the 413.