News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My (Now Not So) fairwell post

Started by dreamcatcher, February 07, 2011, 02:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobs69

Dream catcher it sounds like you have alot of mental toughness.  And I agree, a good wife in your corner makes all the difference.

dreamcatcher

Quote from: Bobs69 on February 10, 2011, 02:11:30 AM
Dream catcher it sounds like you have alot of mental toughness.  And I agree, a good wife in your corner makes all the difference.
That is so true.And I did get a good one.She loves to work on cars and fish,camp and hike.She can out shoot about anyone with a shotgun...and NEVER takes it easy on me...loves to give me as much diggin as she can...was all ready telling me...yes you need some time here to get past this..I will give you two days then get your ass back to working on cars!So much love...so generous  :slap: I will put it this way..if I want sympathy I will come on here... :smilielol:
I will talk to someone today about the insurance again...and also about putting something on the car while I am fixing it...
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

dreamcatcher

Couldnt resist...had to change the title of the post!  :slap:
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: dreamcatcher on February 09, 2011, 08:54:03 PM
Very soon I will get a list and just see what is out there and go from there.I don't expect or want a free ride but will need to find some deals...

Quote from: dreamcatcher on February 09, 2011, 10:12:33 PM
I'M NOT GOING ANYWHERE!WAS JUST A LITTLE BUMMED ABOUT IT ALL.I have a long hystory with this car and most of it not so good...long story....for another day...We named her Christine...I walked into my shop this afternoon looked at her and said OK BITCH...IS THAT ALL YOU GOT! Nuff said! :flame:

Welcome back...  :cheers:

Let me know what I might be able to contribute after you make your list...

Allen
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

Old Moparz

So now you're keeping it? Bummer, I was going to buy the nose from you.

:lol:  Kidding, I am glad to see you are staying at it.  :cheers:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

FJ5WING

I feel for you and your bad spot!

I dont have any spares other than a few fron turn signal lenses  :shruggy:.........so Im out for being able to assist. But you have all my moral support you want.  :pity:
wingless now, but still around.

kw mopar

Good Choice in a few years when it is all behind you. You will be glad you kept it. See my pics. It happens.

moparstuart

Quote from: dreamcatcher on February 09, 2011, 08:18:54 PM
OK I will try to bring everyone up to date and answer to recent posts....The insurance company that has the truck on it called today and said at the very least some of the cost of the building will be covered not sure how much.The car how ever is not (I can accept that) They called this morning and asked me if the car was all the way unchained.I said NO I was undoing it from the frame of the car but it was unhooked from the trailer.They said that would work for some coverage for the building as long as it was not completely unchained. :shruggy: SB Bob I used a vinyl trim that I found that is very close to real SB trim in style.I will PM you the manufacture if I can find it.It was very inexpensive and looks great.Stuart your one in a million...and I have in the past passed it on to others and will in the future.Because I love car people as well as others.I don't care what it is if you love it and it is a car I am good with that.(I hate imports)Never owned one never will...As far as Americans loving to sue....that IS what is wrong with this country...I have had several chances to sue someone and the last time a lawyer even called ME to tell me to sue...I wont ...I wont do it just because I can...Wasn't raised that way ...and DONT believe in it.OK that brings me up to this afternoon...I felt better so wen t over and took a better look at the car.It will be a BIG project for me...It really will...I put a come along on the tail light panel and pulled it back and was pleased to get the trunk open.The trunk floor is bowed up...but the wing stabilizers are not too bad..Trunk floor is fixable...I got the bumper off to take a look at the gas tank and frame...Fixable but some work...probably a new gas tank for sure...a new tail light panel.The left side bumper bracket is toast..right side OK.The quarters both fixable but a lot of work with hammer and dolly...Not sure if I can do it ...but can be done....bumper toast of coarse.Trunk lid toast.Taillights both OK (cant believe that....)Back up lights OK...It some how pulled loose up by the window plug and there is a hole in the sheet metal by the drivers side where the rear quarter meets the roof..(the metal is torn)...I got sored up again and quit right there...The bigest thing is and My wonderful wife said she new this...I AM NO QUITER! I wont start for a while but I will fix Christine and ask her is THAT ALL YOU GOT!If I don't have to pay the full amount for the building I think I will make it OK!Stuart...I have wanted to meet you since I first found out you were close by.So at a later date I will drive down to get the trunk lid if you really want to let me have it.I had once before told a guy on here that does transmissions I would give him a couple I had that I think need rebuilt...His name was Jamey...If possible I will bring the transmissions down that way if he can come that far to get them.He gave me a lot of helpful advise.GOD bless each and everyone of you who helped me through a tuff time.
you should come down for the cruise across kansas and run it with jamie and I   or come down for the HPAC show in june  n
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

bobs66440

Quote from: kw mopar on February 10, 2011, 01:08:11 PM
Good Choice in a few years when it is all behind you. You will be glad you kept it. See my pics. It happens.
Wow! Looks like your car was on the winning end of that one. Looks like way more damage to the other car!

dreamcatcher

I wanted to let everyone know that I will be gone for about 9 days.I have a friend in western South Dakota that will be having surgery.He is a bachlor and has no one out there.I am going out to help him out for a week or so.It will also give me a little time and help me settle into what I have to do with the car.So when I get back I will tear into it and figure out what I really need and see if I think I can tackle this.Again thanks to everyone here that posted and helped me think things through.
Later  :cheers:

General_01

Quote from: dreamcatcher on February 10, 2011, 08:54:36 AM
Couldnt resist...had to change the title of the post!  :slap:

That sounds a lot better. I am sure we will see a thread started sometime in the future of you taking on the repairs. The car does look repairable and it is a great looking car. Can't wait for "Part II". Love your wifes attitude. Get up, brush yourself off, take a few minutes to catch your breath and get back at it.  :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Bobs69

Quote from: dreamcatcher on February 10, 2011, 06:56:22 AM
Quote from: Bobs69 on February 10, 2011, 02:11:30 AM
Dream catcher it sounds like you have alot of mental toughness.  And I agree, a good wife in your corner makes all the difference.
That is so true.And I did get a good one.She loves to work on cars and fish,camp and hike.She can out shoot about anyone with a shotgun...and NEVER takes it easy on me...loves to give me as much diggin as she can...was all ready telling me...yes you need some time here to get past this..I will give you two days then get your ass back to working on cars!So much love...so generous  :slap: I will put it this way..if I want sympathy I will come on here... :smilielol:
I will talk to someone today about the insurance again...and also about putting something on the car while I am fixing it...

Sounds like my wife.  The not sugar coating things for ya!  Kinda funny sometimes but someone has to be the adult in the relationship!

dreamcatcher

Well I am back and after resting for a week the knees are not as sore and things look a bit better.I did start pulling the car apart now and will start a list of much needed parts.Again guys I was touched by the response and offers for parts.So as I list the parts needed I am not looking for a free ride.I am open to buying or trading if I can for these parts if anyone can spare them.I do have some extra odds and ends I will post and trade.
I need (so far) A trunk (getting from Mopar Stuart) a tail light panel (hopefully from Charge-it) I will be looking for a right side quarter extension.I think the fuel tank is shot but will have to pull it out (it may be fixable).I have an old 70 RR bumper that needs a few dings taken out and the number of a good reasonable chrome shop.I will post a couple of pictures of the upper quarter panels on both sides.I can fix most of the damage but right at the rear window it is bent down on both sides and I am not sure how to fix this.I cant get at it and it is pretty bad.I think the frame is OK from what I can see but the spring hangers are bent at the rear of the springs.As far as the wing.I hope I can get just the horizontal part from Janak the uprights are split but can be fixed.Open to all suggestions and openions.Once again thanks to everyone who posted! :2thumbs:

dreamcatcher

:cheers: :cheers: Also the Ins company will have to cover the building but not my car....(so it seems right now) So this is the best news yet!

resq302

Good to hear you have a better view on things now.  I'd still push the insurance company that technically the car was still in tow as it was still on the trailer in the process of being unhooked when this happened.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Bobs69

With the amount of money at stake I'd definately consult with a lawyer not  because you can and you're trying to get something for nothing but to protect your interests and to keep the insurance company on the up & up.  I can understand you wanting it to just be put behind you, if it's too much stress it could very well not be worth it.

rainbow4jd

Quote from: resq302 on February 20, 2011, 10:19:16 PM
Good to hear you have a better view on things now.  I'd still push the insurance company that technically the car was still in tow as it was still on the trailer in the process of being unhooked when this happened.

Look at your policy - see if it specifies at what point a vehicle is "in tow".

Break it down very simply.   You want to move a car from point A to point B.

Once the car is loaded on the trailer AND it is attached to the towing vehicle - then by hopefully anyone's definition it is considered "in tow" - even if the vehicle is stationary.   i.e. the vehicle is incapable of operating under its own power, because it is now in a "tow" condition.

Once you establish what "in tow" means - then you have to establish that the vehicle did not change state ergo it was still "in tow" when it left the trailer. 

You need to eliminate the extraneous data. 

In other words, it makes no difference that the vehicle was running.  Treat it just as if a tow chain had broken while the vehicle was in motion, and the vehicle had rolled off the tralier and struck other cars and did personal property damage.

The point being, it did NOT leave the condition of being towed, because it was still chained when it rolled off the trailer.  It doesn't leave the condition of being towed UNTIL all the tow paraphenilia are removed, ergo all the chains were off and all four wheels were on the ground.

PS They are going to try and get you on the point of the vehicle being started.  At that point they will contend you were operating the vehicle (just as if you had parked it).  You will counter contend that because the vehicle was still on the trailer, it was in a non-operating condition - and thus, covered by your applicable towing coverage.

Magnumcharger

I believe this repair was at "Restos by Rick" a few years ago.
Yes, that's the same quarter panel. Which goes to show that with the proper pulling on a frame machine, and a good bodyman, this kind of damage can be rectified.
Metal has memory.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

dreamcatcher

I can only dream of being that good.I do all of my own body ,paint, engine and interior stuf.I have for 30 years and some 10 to 12 cars.But that body work is a real skill.I can get close but still chaseing the perfect job on one of my cars.  :brickwall: I started working the rear quarter but the metal is pretty streached in places.  :RantExplode:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: dreamcatcher on February 23, 2011, 07:50:43 AM
I can only dream of being that good.I do all of my own body ,paint, engine and interior stuf.I have for 30 years and some 10 to 12 cars.But that body work is a real skill.I can get close but still chaseing the perfect job on one of my cars.  :brickwall: I started working the rear quarter but the metal is pretty streached in places.  :RantExplode:

What you are likely encountering is pressure not necessarily stretch. If you don't have that thing squared up on a frame machine you will screw up the panels and make them more work to repair when a true metal man does get ahold of it.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Aero426

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on February 23, 2011, 09:56:36 AM
What you are likely encountering is pressure not necessarily stretch. If you don't have that thing squared up on a frame machine you will screw up the panels and make them more work to repair when a true metal man does get ahold of it.

He speaks the truth.   A good metal man will save you time and money in the long run.    The right equipment with multiple pulls puts the right pressure on the right area at the right time.   This photo is an extreme example, but it one of my favorites.   The metal has memory, but it needs a velvet glove on the sledgehammer.   

LeeBoy

my god I would hate to be in the area if one of those chains lets go
My 68 Charger build http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41318.0.html
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2005 HEMI Ram( totaled with only 27,000 miles on it!), 1977 Power Wagon (Sold), 1977 Plymouth Trailduster, 1974 360 Cuda, 1973 Satellite Sebring Plus, 1973 D200 Adventurer Sport, 1968 Charger (sold), 1965 Dart (sold)

472 R/T SE

Sorry about your misfortune.  These cars are just hunks of iron that can be replaced.   You or someone else can't, sorry to sound redundant.

At our car club Christmas party I got into a discussion with Bill Dallas, (daytonakid).  He owns & runs a collision repair shop.  A couple months ago I was picking my daughter up at school, I backed out of the stall & was about to pull ahead when a lady in another stall backed into me.  She got out & couldn't apologize enough.  I offered to let her pay for it out of her pocket.  I got a few estimates & there was no way she could afford it so I turned it into her insurance.

I sent the insurance the estimate & a witness.  I didn't hear back from the insurance for a couple months.  Finally I got a check for half of what the estimate was.  The insurance claimed we were both backing up.  :smilielol:

Bill said insurance cos. do that on purpose cause they usually get away with it.  He says 9 out of 10 people will accept it & move on.

Sorry so long.  I haven't fought it yet.  Hell, the insurance outfit (Allstate) didn't even talk to my witness.

In my dealings with these insurance cos., it seems the only person who gets their money is them from our premiums cause they sure don't want to give it up.

moparstuart

don came down today and got the deck lid , sounds like he has made a huge amount of progress on it already
thats don in the blue mopar hat with his soon to be on his bird deck lid

Don needs a wing and janik wants like 2500.00 bucks for a fiberglass one ??    Please keep and eye out for don I told him he should be able to find a real one for that price .      THANKS

moparstuart

:popcrn:    Super bird wing needed please help out don with any leads