News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My (Now Not So) fairwell post

Started by dreamcatcher, February 07, 2011, 02:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DC_1

2 words

FIX IT!

Ya, she probably needs a little pull here or there to get things straight again. Hard to tell how bad the buckles in the quarters are and I'm sure the trunk pan must be a little mangled. But with enough time, a hammer and dolley's you would be surprised how you can get them back into shape. Then some minimal skim coats of filler, block, prep and re-shot the rear of the car.

I'd get the damaged sheet metal off and then take 1HotDaytona's offer and haul it out to him to pull back into shape. If you do most of the work yourself and can salvage the quarters, trunk pan ands other parts without compromising the quality of the build I think you can repair this for less than $5k.

Again, hard to give an accurate opinion based on 1 pic and limited knowledge of the exact damage.

resq302

Just a stupid question here but since it was still on the trailer, could it be put through your car insurance since it was technically not being off loaded from the trailer?  If your trailer was to get into an accident in travel, the trailer and contents would be repaired since it was technically attached to the tow vehicle.

Just a thought. :scratchchin:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

dreamcatcher

We did call the ins. company and they said they would get back to us...but also said they didn't think it was covered once it let the trailer under its own power....You know how ins. company's are...they was that payment every month but will try there best to find a loop hole...cant blame them I guess...big business....
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

Troy

Quote from: dreamcatcher on February 08, 2011, 08:38:41 AM
I will refer to this quote from djcarguy above (please take some time to heal and make peace with your wife ,surprized she did not kill ya when she found out you were alive) My loving wife is almost a bigger car nut than I am.Here is a quote from her in an email to me from her work this morning (I married a man who will, in his own time, pick up the pieces and get going again...  I'm going to give you as much time as you need (as long as it's not over a day or two cause I'm kind of like that)...  and we'll keep moving in the direction we were going in because that's what we want to do.. ) So sweet of her to give me A DAY OR TWO!  :smilielol:
Man, I've read this thread several times and didn't know how to respond. It's heart wrenching just reading it. I really don't know how I would react to that situation - and I hope I never find out - but I'm sure it would take the wind out of my sails in a hurry! Sounds like your wife is a good one - not afraid to kick you in the rear to get that motivation going. I do have to say I'm glad you were in front of the car being dragged vs behind it.

You're 7 1/2 hours from Brian (1hotdaytona) and if you can get it to him you'll be incredibly happy. I hope it all works out and I'm looking forward to more progress.

Quote from: resq302 on February 08, 2011, 09:42:08 AM
Just a stupid question here but since it was still on the trailer, could it be put through your car insurance since it was technically not being off loaded from the trailer?  If your trailer was to get into an accident in travel, the trailer and contents would be repaired since it was technically attached to the tow vehicle.
I don't know about your insurance but most (as far as I know) require the towed vehicle to have full coverage since you cannot cause liability to yourself (ie if you wreck the truck, trailer, and towed vehicle only the truck is covered - unless you have a specific policy for the trailer as well).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Old Moparz

Sorry to hear about your mishap, but that car appears to be a much easier fix than you described. I know a lot of the damage can't be seen in that one photo, but you've been on this site & have seen how some people have done very nice work with cars in much worse shape. The lack of insurance may put a damper on the repair costs, but even if you just store it for a while, it may not seem as much of a financial or mental burden later on.

I spent a thousands on some shoddy body work a long time ago that will have to be completely redone. I had just bought a house around the same time & couldn't even think about spending who knows how much money to redo what was just done & paid for, so I stored the car & forgot about it. It killed just about any desire I had in the car hobby for years, but I kept the car. I still have it, & if all goes well in the next year or so, I am going to start from scratch all over again. My daughter loves the car, even though it's crusty looking & sits in primer, so that's good motivation for me.

Don't give up or you just may regret it.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Piston_Freddy on February 08, 2011, 08:41:30 AM
Looks repairable to me. I bet the car wanted to commit suicide because those horrible rims under it.

That's funny...kind of...When you do fix the Plymouth, put those rims on your 71 Mustang your also working on. :2thumbs:

richRTSE

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear this. But like others have said, and I'm sure you know, it could have been much worse. I'm sure your wife/family are glad it's just a banged up car and a few scrapes and bruises. Thats much better than planning a funeral. I'm sure with all the time and effort you've put into getting it this far, only to have this happen, can be pretty discouraging. I expected it to look worse than it does. It's definately fixable. I wouldn't part it out. If it seems like too much for you to deal with right now, put it in the garage for 6-12 months, take some time to re-group, then jump right back in there!  I think I read that you're retired now, so your time is free now. Your alot closer to having your wing car than alot of us, don't give up now.

Rich

06Daytona

Really sorry to hear about your car. That car is one of my wife's favorite cars and she wants me to build her one. I hope everything works out and you get it back on the road with a minimum of fuss and money. I'll keep a look out for parts down in Puerto Rico that you might be able to use since there are a few Mopars hiding in yards.

Redbird

I'm sorry for your problems. Putting it in the garage and looking at the offer of help with the frame seems like a good option.

dreamcatcher

Well time will tell I guess.I still cant see it coming back...as far as my wheels...I guess it is love them or hate them...I had a set of the mopar rallye wheels with those 70's daco looking donuts around them...worst looking wheels ever...well except for GM's version of them....couldnt get them off fast enough....but hey to each their own...I will try to have pictures this evening to show the real damage as seen with the eye.
I do have to admit that would be funny to see.The 71 mustang I have is my old beat up quarter mile car built out of spare left over ford parts from years gone by...it would sure look funny with those big chrome 20's under it...might have to try that just to get a few laughs.....good idea!
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

nvrbdn

sounds like the first thing is to get some brick guys over there to fix the building to keep them off his back. im not a brick guy, i dont have any plymouth parts  to aid in the repair of your dream. but my thoughts and prayers will be with you with the thanks that you will be healthy enough to jump back in. good luck.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

dreamcatcher

Well I cant thank everyone enough here.Real great group of people.And all joking aside I do appreciate everyones input and comments...even if I don't agree...even down to my getto wheels  :coolgleamA:

moparstuart

Quote from: dreamcatcher on February 08, 2011, 11:33:05 AM
Well I cant thank everyone enough here.Real great group of people.And all joking aside I do appreciate everyones input and comments...even if I don't agree...even down to my getto wheels  :coolgleamA:
You know even though I dont like your wheels.  I have followed & helped with advice on your car and build since day one. I love your car and the color and I really hope you can save it .  All your hard work did result in a great car .   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

1RareBird

Here's another idea for getting the frame/body fixed.  You should look into your local community college to see if they may be interested in fixing the body in one of their classes.  I'm a body teacher and can tell you that many community colleges that offer auto body have the very latest equipment and no labor charge.  I have done so many repairs for others in the past at the schools I have worked at it's impossible to count.  If I was still currently teaching I would have you ship the car to me, unfortunately I'm layed off and looking for another teaching gig.  Look into it, you may be pleasantly surprised at how cheap it may be to get fixed!
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

xs29j8Bullitt

As many others have said, it could have been much worse if you had been more severely injured... still, it was bad enough.  From the one picture, the car looks very repairable.  I hope you decide to fix it rather than part it out.

If you decide to keep and repair your Superbird, I will join Stuart and other willing contributors in donating some parts and/or cash toward restoring your car.  Although I can't contribute a lot, I could go maybe $100 to $200 in parts/cash... like maybe a new fuel tank for example.  Don't let this misfortune steal your dream when you were so close to making it come true.

Just my  :Twocents:

Best of luck on whatever you decide to do...

Allen
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

limelightsuperbird

Glad to here you didn't get hurt worse! I have had 2 cars I've had to replace the whole rear clip including the roof because this happened. For now just try getting over the emotional part. You will get excited again if you decide to fix it later. For now heal yourself. I know I can fix it and there has to be someone in your area to fix it. FEEL BETTER FOR NOW, it will pass. I would be glad to repair for you if you have no other resort. I am self employed however, so I cannot do it for "free". But would give you a good deal. Seems like everyone is here for you, and me too. Great people on this site! I know it's very hard now cause I've been there twice. But after a couple months I was excited to get fixin'. Hope this helps as much as it can. Take care, Jim in Michigan
Birdman 
          Superbird 528 Hemi 5-speed  3.73 axle
          1970 Satellite 440 4-speed 4.10 axle
          1974 Challenger Rally 383 auto
          1999 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4
          1960 Imperial Le Baron
          1966 Coronet
          1958 Cadillac
          1968 Cadillac flower car
          1969 Cadillac Deville Convertibles
          1969 Cadillac Devilles
          1998 GMC Dually 
          1978 Tubbed Buick Regal T-type
          1985 Cadillac Eldo. Touring Cpe

dreamcatcher

Ladies and Gents I present Christine Bird!

dreamcatcher

More damage, man I am sure glad I put out the extra $ for the tripple show chrome bumper!

dreamcatcher

Wing and quarter

dreamcatcher

Some damage is more than I thought some less..Fuel tank is dripping now but cant see where it is coming from.I cant get the trunk open so will have to cut out the lock I guess.I could see that the trunk floor is bowed up pretty good.The frame dont look bent but the rear end is not sitting straight anymore.It kind of looks like it is turning right...OPENIONS??

Troy

I wonder if at least some of that quarter damage is due to the wing getting folded forward? Do you have the floor braces installed?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Old Moparz

Finding a few dollars will be the hardest, but be patient & hang in there. At some point you will know it's time to start fixing it.  :Twocents:

The positive side is, most, if not all, of what appears damaged is available as repro parts. Even as used parts

Quarters & trunk gutters- AMD
Wheelhouses - Goodmark
Tail panel - AMD
Bumper brackets - AMD
Trunk floor - AMD & Goodmark
Trunk floor brace - Goodmark
Trunk lid latch - Goodmark
Wing & braces - Several
Gas tank, straps, & cap - Quanta & Goodmark
Tail light lenses & bezels - Herb's

Herb's also lists a rear bumper, but says it's out of stock.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

dreamcatcher

Yes it did have wing braces installed.I cant see in there far enough to see what shape there in right now...but the trunk floor came upward about 6 to 8 inches in the center.

thedodgeboys

Thats fixable  :cheers:

You might check with your trucks insurance company they may cover it as it was attached to your truck???

limelightsuperbird

Seems like your feeling a little better now joking about the bumper. When your ready I would get the gas tank out first so no risk of fire working on it. Use an electric fuel pump on the gas line before the cars fuel pump. Then you can cut the lock out or cut the trunk lid where the latch is with a sawzall. Be careful opening the trunk so you don't damage the window plug or trim. Cut or torch the bumper off then you'll know what your looking at and can take some measurements.
Birdman 
          Superbird 528 Hemi 5-speed  3.73 axle
          1970 Satellite 440 4-speed 4.10 axle
          1974 Challenger Rally 383 auto
          1999 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4
          1960 Imperial Le Baron
          1966 Coronet
          1958 Cadillac
          1968 Cadillac flower car
          1969 Cadillac Deville Convertibles
          1969 Cadillac Devilles
          1998 GMC Dually