News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My (Now Not So) fairwell post

Started by dreamcatcher, February 07, 2011, 02:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamcatcher

No I am still looking for the wing and bumper.I have a pretty straight bumper..but dont know of a good chrome shop to replate it that would be close.I am getting the tail light panel ready to fit into the car.
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

resq302

Quote from: dreamcatcher on March 18, 2011, 07:09:52 PM
No I am still looking for the wing and bumper.I have a pretty straight bumper..but dont know of a good chrome shop to replate it that would be close.I am getting the tail light panel ready to fit into the car.

You could try Tri City Plating for the bumper.  I think they have a lifetime guarantee on the chroming too.  If memory is correct, I think they are in the Tenn. area.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

dreamcatcher

Well I have had a few good days on the car.I pulled the fuel tank and found 1. the reason the car wouldnt run after the accident.And 2. the reason the tank was leaking.It was pushed forward and not only kinked the fuel line but also the whole sending unit was pulled loose from the retaining ring that holds it in the tank.Both very fixable.The tank was not in that bad of condition and can be reused.I was able to pull the rear most cross member back out and have it very straight.I used a cut to length oak 2x4 and several large C clamps and it looks as good as new.The car hit soooo hard that almost every spot weld was tore loose from the rear frame rails.The frame is not bent at all.  :yesnod: I will have pictures soon.I was supposed to put some pictures on here for another member of a headliner but my camera took a dump on me.I will borrow my wifes and get pictures on ASAP.I now as of today have the tail light panel welded in place.So I am in the process of putting things together again.More later!  :popcrn:
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

Brock Samson

I'm really glad to see your on the way to fixing it.  :yesnod:
 I had a somewhat similar problem when my car was wrecked the first day i drove it, after I put all the proper 440 stuff back in the car. The accident wiped my entire front clip out and that took nearly two years to get repaired completely.  :shruggy: I was sick about it but much more relived noone was hurt, because that would have far exceeded the damage to the car if that had happened.
                                                                                                                  :2thumbs:

resq302

Quote from: dreamcatcher on March 25, 2011, 08:07:34 PM
Well I have had a few good days on the car.I pulled the fuel tank and found 1. the reason the car wouldnt run after the accident.And 2. the reason the tank was leaking.It was pushed forward and not only kinked the fuel line but also the whole sending unit was pulled loose from the retaining ring that holds it in the tank.Both very fixable.The tank was not in that bad of condition and can be reused.I was able to pull the rear most cross member back out and have it very straight.I used a cut to length oak 2x4 and several large C clamps and it looks as good as new.The car hit soooo hard that almost every spot weld was tore loose from the rear frame rails.The frame is not bent at all:yesnod: I will have pictures soon.I was supposed to put some pictures on here for another member of a headliner but my camera took a dump on me.I will borrow my wifes and get pictures on ASAP.I now as of today have the tail light panel welded in place.So I am in the process of putting things together again.More later!  :popcrn:

There ya go!  Every black cloud has a silver lining!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

djcarguy

GREAT TO SEE AND HEAR YA WORKING AND PROGRESS ON FIXING THAT PRETTY WING CAR.ALL THE BEST ON THE REPAIRS.  IF YOU SELL DAMAGED WING LET ME KNOW HOW MUCH?? IAM LOOKING FOR ONE THAT WILL HAVE TO BE MODIFIED ANYWAY TO FIT MY DART ,TOPLESS DARTONA PROJECT.  THANKS AND PRETTY CAR

dreamcatcher

I managed to pull my vinyl top up and fixed the place where the window frame tore away from the window plug.Didn't even hurt the top too much.  :P

dreamcatcher

I used an oak 2x4 and C clamps a big hammer and some curse words to straighten the rear cross member.  :RantExplode:

dreamcatcher

I installed the tail light panel and everything seem to fit.I still have some tweaking but it all ready looks better than a couple weeks ago.  :icon_smile_big:

General_01

1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

spoolinhard

do you still need a quarter extension?

FJ5WING

Quote from: dreamcatcher on March 26, 2011, 06:18:21 PM
I installed the tail light panel and everything seem to fit.I still have some tweaking but it all ready looks better than a couple weeks ago.  :icon_smile_big:

:2thumbs:
wingless now, but still around.

bobs66440

A lot of progress in a short time. Nice work!  :2thumbs:

WINGIN IT

Quote from: bobs66440 on March 27, 2011, 09:29:08 AM
A lot of progress in a short time. Nice work!  :2thumbs:

Indeed.
I could only hope to be as motivated.
Keep it up, you'll be motorin' in no time .  :2thumbs:

dreamcatcher

The motivation really came from a lot of supporting words and the kind acts from some GREAT people.Speaking of which I just received an offer for the other quarter extension I needed from a newer member Spoolinhard!Said he had one laying around with no use for it.Mine for shipping fees!I now have everything I need except a rear bumper.And I found one I can get reasonable.Still working on the wing issue.I repaired the up rights and I have managed to split the horizontal piece in half.I cut it where it was already split from the accident and again on the back.I got the steel piece out and will attempt to straighten it in a press.I think I can make a mold out of the two pieces to re glass it.Might work ...might not  :shruggy: but worth a try.I hope to have the car ready to start priming in a week or so.Again my thanks to all who helped me.I hope this type of thing never happens to anyone else but I also hope to some how return the favor to someone in need.THAT IS WHAT GREAT PEOPLE ARE MADE OF! And also why car people are the GREATEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD!

Old Moparz

:cheers:  Nice to read some good news for a change. Glad you kept it.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

dreamcatcher

I got the fuel tank fixed and back in the car today.I also installed a new pro comp dist. and hei style plug wires.Sooooo...tomorrow I will try to fire it off again.It will be the first time (if it runs) since the accident.I am ready to start sanding it down.I have all the parts in place and welded everything back to the rear frame rails.The car is just too heavy to move around in the shop with out it running.  :-\ When I DO get it going the very first thing will be to try to make certian it never goes into reverse by it's self again.Can anyone send me a picture of the shift linkage for a floor shift 727 car?I would like to see the under side hooked up to make sure mine is right.I want to make sure I have everything and it is all the right parts.
Thanks

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

dreamcatcher

Well  :shruggy:  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: Christine is a live and ready to kill again!!! I fired her she came on first try.I aborted all the prior ignitions I have had in the car.I bought one of those pro comp set ups.And WOW! What a difference that made.No more resistors and half the wires...two wires 12V power and your there.I don't think I will ever mess with a NOS ignition system again.  ;D What a day.Now she moves I can work on that shift linkage and start sanding her down.I am shooting for this thing being ready in two weeks...I'm on a mission now!!

resq302

Brian

billssuperbird

richRTSE

Quote from: dreamcatcher on April 06, 2011, 05:56:20 PM
  ;D What a day.Now she moves I can work on that shift linkage and start sanding her down.I am shooting for this thing being ready in two weeks...I'm on a mission now!!

I'm glad to see that with a little determination, a few good friends, and some hard work your project is back on track. Congrats and keep up the good work.  :2thumbs:  Amazing what a difference a few weeks can make....

QuoteThe whole back of the car is totaled out.Over the next few weeks I will be selling off all the salvageable parts to this car....

bobs66440

This has got to be some kind of record.  :2thumbs:   Maybe you should start a TV show, like maybe you take on an impossible restoration with impossible deadlines...I don't think it's been done before... :icon_smile_wink: :smilielol: :lol:

Amazing work!  :o   :2thumbs:

dreamcatcher

Determind  :shruggy: The wife says stuborn is more the case.I still am in need of a picture of a bird floor shift linkage.The under side.I seem to have some play in mine.I dont think the piece that runs from the transmission back to the part that comes through the floor is right.  :scratchchin: I have heard these cars had an issue going into reverse BUT I think there is a reason and it can be fixed. Other wise there will be a B&M locking shifter mounted on the console  :RantExplode: