News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Refreshing tips needed

Started by 72Charger72, April 02, 2014, 07:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72Charger72

Hello
New to the forum I have had Chargers for 30+ yrs....rebuilt two from the ground up to only lose them to non-insured motorist accidents....

Currently I have a 71 Dodge Charger RT with a 440 bored 30 over that I have had on an engine stand for 10 yrs now. It a beautiful mixed number car with Hide Away headlights, Louvered doors, magnum hood, and louvered tail lights...
Time to get it back on the road. I had put oil in the cylinders a few yrs back and turned it over by hand every now and again.
What else should i start with to get it back into running shape.
I had needed a toque converter, new carb, manifold, and valve covers which I just purchased...
Are there any good tips at starting a cleanup. Also I know I have no idea about the brackets for the Alt, power steering,etc...
they were a bear to figure out 12 yrs ago.
any tips are appreciated!

cudaken

Welcome to the site 71 Charger!  ;)

With the engine on a stand, my self I would pull the heads and see what the cylinders look like. Would be pretty easy so what the heck. I would all so pre lube the the motor.

Does the 440 have a flat tappet cam? Today's oil will nut support flat tap cams with out a ZZPD additive. There is a a sticky post in this section about this subject.

Not many people have had a car for 30 years. I have had my 68 Road Runner for 41 years I think. :scratchchin: Getting old sucks.

Looking forward to see you post more!  :drive:

Cuda Ken
I am back

72Charger72

Should be a roller cam it was built by a shop in 89 or 90....
when I originally had the 440 bored and built I was my daily driver too so the cam is a medium sized
I will have to dig up all the old paper work...have it somewhere.....
yeah I moth balled this when my kids were born and now want to start working on it with them.

71_Charger_R/T

Welcome to the site!    It sounds like you took some decent precautions to preserve the motor by oiling the cylinders and turning it periodically.  I would personally just go with it the way it is unless the motor was stored in an extremely damp location. If it is rusted up from sitting and has that much rust (more than the rings will clean up) you're going to have to do another overbore again anyway. I'd deal with that later, after having some fun with the motor if that is the case.  Did the motor have spark plugs in the holes? Were the intake and exhaust ports somewhat covered?  I'm sure the motor was pre-lubed upon assembly if it was done by anyone even half reputable. I'd pull the distributor and pump drive, put a mechanical oil pressure gauge in the oil port, get an oil pump prime shaft, spin up the oil pump while turning the motor (by hand) reinstall the pump shaft and distributor and Remove the spark plugs (if they are in there) crank the motor over with the starter to evacuate the cylinders of any excess oil that may have remained from oiling previously,  Put the plugs back in and fire it for a normal break-in run. Just my  :Twocents: but I'm sure others may disagree.  These old cast iron beasts are pretty tough and a little sitting isn't going to kill them unless it's stored in a humidor or the seals are all baked from sitting in oven or direct UV. 
Post up some pics if you would. I'd love to see the car......I'm kinda partial to '71s

72Charger72

She is still primer grey and the motor and car have been in my garage safe, sound and dry...I plan on rolling it out and starting in a few weeks I will post before and afters...also intake and spark plug holes have all been kept covered