News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I miss my 3rd gear! (RESOLVED)

Started by Grim Jhaixus, January 29, 2011, 08:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim Jhaixus

I lost my 3rd gear. It's a 904 tranny, the original in a 1973 318 Charger I've only had a little more than a year now. It just went one day about two weeks ago on the way home from work. All fluids are clean and at proper levels. I did notice an amount of floating between 2nd and 3rd a few months before, but it was intermittent and I am already well into the 440/727 replacement build so I admit I wasn't honestly too concerned with repairing it. I am not completely sure how much longer it will be before my replacement is ready, so I am wondering what it will take to get this tranny back in order. If fixing this requires a reallocation of resources I have set aside for my dream drivetrain I'll just do without. My question is, what is the minimum amount of repair that will return 3rd gear?
"Scars" 1973 Base 318/904 Originally B5

Married on November 23rd, 2009
Fried all the electricals two weeks after purchase
Set on fire ~twice~
Overheated til it would diesel a full five minutes ~twice~

Never once didn't start, never stranded me, never once did not take me where I needed to go. Daily driver of 4+ years.

Currently undergoing 413/727 swap after I finally beat the 318 til it lost a headgasket. The kicker is the 318 still cranks and runs like nothing is wrong. I love my ca

Cooter

Replacing the transmission...otherwise, yoiur looking at tearing it down and possibly rebuilding it after you remove it..just swap it out for a known good one...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

aifilaw

I think that any transmission shop you go to is going to recommend and require a complete rebuild, or any work under that will be 75% of the cost of a complete rebuild.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Charger_Fan

You might be able to limp it for a while, by readjusting the band. At least I think 3rd gear has a band adjustment, it's only been about 15 years since I've been into one. :-\

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Grim Jhaixus

Thanks much, but I think I am going to limp it. Worst case scenario I park it for a while.
"Scars" 1973 Base 318/904 Originally B5

Married on November 23rd, 2009
Fried all the electricals two weeks after purchase
Set on fire ~twice~
Overheated til it would diesel a full five minutes ~twice~

Never once didn't start, never stranded me, never once did not take me where I needed to go. Daily driver of 4+ years.

Currently undergoing 413/727 swap after I finally beat the 318 til it lost a headgasket. The kicker is the 318 still cranks and runs like nothing is wrong. I love my ca

Steve P.

We have a parts yard here called LKQ. I believe they are buying up more and more yards all over, so you may have one near you. Last time I was there I was reading their parts/price list and automatic trans. (NON-OVERDRIVE) was $75.00... You pull it and they do charge a core, but if it works you return your old tranny for the core back. If it has trouble they will replace it with another. (ONLY IF THEY HAVE ONE). For $75 bucks I would take a shot. Otherwise check here and Craigslist. Good luck.....
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida