News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cleaning your car without a hose? Enlighten me.....

Started by 69bronzeT5, February 05, 2011, 12:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

I've seen a few times now where some of you say don't wash your Charger with a hose on various threads. How is it possible not to use a hose or anything like that while cleaning your car? Please enlighten me. I can see if the car isn't very dirty during show season just to do a quick wipe down and quick detail or something but what do you do if the car actually gets pretty dirty from driving?
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

FLG

Id like to hear it, ever try to clean a black car without water?? I can only imagine the scratches  :brickwall:

694spdRT

Must be a southern California thing.  I hear it never rains there. ;)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

A383Wing

nvrbdn

mabey its because when its hot you will get thirsty and want a drink, but the wife cant hear you screaming that your thirsty and the beverage you were enjoying is nothing more than an empty can. and the house is way over there which is too far to walk (and thats why you got married in the first place) so you do the next best thing which is get a drink out of the hose that they say we should never get a drink out of!!! unless you have forked out the big bucks for the white one that is used on campers  :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

4cruzin

I can say that I have done it but if one is available, I would definitely use it.   :shruggy:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Finn

Ive cleaned mine in the garage panel by panel with one bucket filled with water and the other filled with soapy water.  :shruggy:

I do it because its a black car and I have hard water at the house, which causes water spots in seconds when combined with the Cali sun.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

nvrbdn

i remember when living in the california high desert, that sun would bake a white ring in the paint so fast. you are right
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

bill440rt

I can probably count on one hand how many times I've washed my '68 with a hose, and it's been restored since the late '80's.

On a show-quality vehicle, using a hose (IMHO) just makes more of a mess than not using one. The key is not to let the car get too dirty in the first place.

After ANY driving (to a show, out for a cruise, etc), the first thing after letting the car cool down is to dust it off. This will remove any dust/dirt that is on the surface. Use only a HIGH-QUALITY duster (California Duster, etc).

I then use appropriate cleaners/detailers on the surface. Or, a damp/wet washcloth with a bucket & then towel dry. This is done on EVERY surface. Wheels & tires are last. I then follow it up with a detailer, glass cleaners, etc.

Same thing with the engine compartment or undercarriage. Any first signs of grease or grime are wiped clean, and then kept clean. A mild cleaner on a rag works well, or even just a damp rag to dust it off. Detailer wipes are also perfect for cleaning, so are foam paint brushes dipped in cleaner or detailer.

Water gets everywhere when using a hose. Things tend to rust very quickly: freshly plated bolts, screws, etc. Even chrome lug nuts. Ever try cleaning water spots off your grille? That'll make you insane.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people like to use a hose, and that's OK. Works for them.
If you choose not to, the trick is just not to let the dirt build up.
:2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

69bronzeT5

Thanks for the answer Bill, you were one of the members I was hoping would reply! :2thumbs:

Cooter

Bottom line is it takes more effort to wash a car without a hose and a bucket of suds..Bill is spot on when he says not to let the car get dirty in the first place...But then again, we ain't on here asking how to get rid of water spots either...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

charger Downunder

[/quote]

nvrbdn

here in the muggy st. louis area air, it is already so wet you could almost wash your car by wringing it out. and we aint got nothing on the georgia air. i admire the guys that can clean with all the new fangled items on the market, but i will keep on using my bucket of soapy water, garden hose and shami. she likes it when i give her a bath.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

ChgrSteve67

Lots of waterless car wash products on the market.

I'm not a fan of having to clean my car with a spray bottle and diaper everytime its a little dirty.

I never wash my car in the sun light, I always wait till my driveway is fully shaded.
And I spray deionized water on my car after I wash it to prevent water spots.

Brock Samson

yeah I agree, never in the direct sunlight... when "Hoseless" I use two "Absorbers" both really wet in their plastic sealed containers one to get the gross dirt and such working from the top down always, and the second for getting rid of streaks always present after the first has carried away the initial particulates,.. But first i wash the windows inside and out with the first absorber before using it to wipe the Chargers long surfaces... paper products leave a fine paper dust the rubber wont.
I use a roll of paper towels with Windex for the wheels and most trim, and One Step  tire cleaner for the tires,.. often I'll use Simple Green heavily diluted into a bucket if a hose isn't Avail. last I use a shop Vac. for the interior and trunk then wipe that down with the rubber towel. I never use armorall thought the one step does a great job of cutting through grime on the interior.
So, a bucket with some water mixed with Simple Green, two absorbers, Windex, Paper towels, and One Step. plus a shop vac.
takes me about two hours to do the entire car inside and out.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/3/pva-drying-towel   the absorber. wash in simple green with a little bleach.
I have about ten of them and they literally last for years.

http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/85-534-tire-shine/no-touch-tire-shine-612148.aspx   take care to avoid over spray on the body or wheels. Cheap at $5.oo or less when on sale.

Back N Black

Quote from: bill440rt on February 06, 2011, 10:45:57 PM
I can probably count on one hand how many times I've washed my '68 with a hose, and it's been restored since the late '80's.

On a show-quality vehicle, using a hose (IMHO) just makes more of a mess than not using one. The key is not to let the car get too dirty in the first place.

After ANY driving (to a show, out for a cruise, etc), the first thing after letting the car cool down is to dust it off. This will remove any dust/dirt that is on the surface. Use only a HIGH-QUALITY duster (California Duster, etc).

I then use appropriate cleaners/detailers on the surface. Or, a damp/wet washcloth with a bucket & then towel dry. This is done on EVERY surface. Wheels & tires are last. I then follow it up with a detailer, glass cleaners, etc.

Same thing with the engine compartment or undercarriage. Any first signs of grease or grime are wiped clean, and then kept clean. A mild cleaner on a rag works well, or even just a damp rag to dust it off. Detailer wipes are also perfect for cleaning, so are foam paint brushes dipped in cleaner or detailer.

Water gets everywhere when using a hose. Things tend to rust very quickly: freshly plated bolts, screws, etc. Even chrome lug nuts. Ever try cleaning water spots off your grille? That'll make you insane.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people like to use a hose, and that's OK. Works for them.

+1 i pretty much do the same. just to lazy to type it. :2thumbs:

BlueSS454

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:

I NEVER voluntarily put water on ANY of my old cars.

Quote from: bill440rt on February 06, 2011, 10:45:57 PM

Tom Rightler

68X426

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

doctor4766

I just use a wet micro fibre cloth to remove the dust build up when the car needs it, and every so often I'll clean the car with FW1 cleaner. That leaves a great shine that lasts for ages.
No hose or suds in the bucket here thanks.
Gotta love a '69

nvrbdn

Quote from: doctor4766 on February 08, 2011, 07:35:04 AM
I just use a wet micro fibre cloth to remove the dust build up when the car needs it, and every so often I'll clean the car with FW1 cleaner. That leaves a great shine that lasts for ages.

im having trouble believing this quote really came from australia. every time i read it there is no accent :brickwall: mabey im reading it wrong :shruggy: i will keep trying though. :D
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

71charger_fan

Generally, I give the Charger a thorough washing with the hose once a year. In between, I use a Kozak cloth. Plus, it lives in the garage, under a cover and rarely sees a wet road.

A383Wing

Quote from: nvrbdn on February 08, 2011, 09:27:40 AM
Quote from: doctor4766 on February 08, 2011, 07:35:04 AM

im having trouble believing this quote really came from australia. every time i read it there is no accent :brickwall: mabey im reading it wrong :shruggy: i will keep trying though. :D

ya gotta read it upside down....those guys are "down under", remember??....we gotta explain everything to ya?  :D

doctor4766

[/quote]

ya gotta read it upside down....those guys are "down under", remember??....we gotta explain everything to ya?  :D
[/quote]

Maybe it should have been written like this.

G'day cobbers, I just use one a them soggy cloths that we normally use to remove the blood off the roobar when we've been bush bashin' and every now'n'again I'll scrub 'er up with that FW1 cleaner my sheila gave me as a Chrissie pressie. That leaves the old duco lookin' bonza for ages.
Gotta love a '69

bill440rt

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on February 08, 2011, 06:27:00 PM
Here you go....havent tried it myself personally BUT I would only use it on a show car & not a daily...

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/waterless+spray-on+car+wash+kit+special.do?code=axr2

Video

http://s7d4.scene7.com/s7/video/flash_video.jsp?movie=Videos/2011_new-media_spray-on-car-wash.flv&company=GriotsGarage&config=GriotsGarage/VideoConfig&locale=en

Hmmm...
I have NEVER used a waterless car wash before. I gotta admit, if my Charger ever became THAT dirty I would probably reach for the hose. Or, a bucket with a wet washcloth & a towel. And I would never forgive myself for letting the car get that dirty in the first place.  :D
Griot's Garage products DO kick ass, though.

Say, uh, you comin' to the dark side, Chris? I thought you were always an Adam's fan?  :scratchchin:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 07, 2011, 05:25:56 AM
Thanks for the answer Bill, you were one of the members I was hoping would reply! :2thumbs:

You're welcome, Cody!  :2thumbs:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: bill440rt on February 08, 2011, 11:16:06 PM
Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on February 07, 2011, 05:25:56 AM

You're welcome, Cody!  :2thumbs:

I usually wash my Duster but this spring a friend of my dad's who owns a paint shop is teaching me how to paint so we're going to paint the Duster and after reading your comments I think I'll definitley change my ways and pass off the hose. I don't care too much about the current paint because it's pretty crappy but after it gets painted I'm going to be way more anal ;)

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bill440rt on February 08, 2011, 11:15:35 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on February 08, 2011, 06:27:00 PM
Here you go....havent tried it myself personally BUT I would only use it on a show car & not a daily...

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/waterless+spray-on+car+wash+kit+special.do?code=axr2

Video

http://s7d4.scene7.com/s7/video/flash_video.jsp?movie=Videos/2011_new-media_spray-on-car-wash.flv&company=GriotsGarage&config=GriotsGarage/VideoConfig&locale=en

Hmmm...
I have NEVER used a waterless car wash before. I gotta admit, if my Charger ever became THAT dirty I would probably reach for the hose. Or, a bucket with a wet washcloth & a towel. And I would never forgive myself for letting the car get that dirty in the first place.  :D
Griot's Garage products DO kick ass, though.

Say, uh, you comin' to the dark side, Chris? I thought you were always an Adam's fan?  :scratchchin:

Still am a fan of Adam's stuff but saw this in a mag yesterday & Im not afraid to try new stuff... ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Cooter

It's Not about the PAINT Cody, it's about the floorboards, Carpets, Window channels, Cowl area, etc. with trapped water. If it were as simple as letting the water only hit the painted surfaces, then I prolly would be ok with it...

How many wax their car even though it never sees rain, and sits inside? whether it needs it or not?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

A383Wing

Quote from: Cooter on February 09, 2011, 06:32:48 AM

How many wax their car even though it never sees rain, and sits inside? whether it needs it or not?

:wave: