News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How fast do you think the plow truck was going!

Started by resq302, February 02, 2011, 05:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

resq302

Certainly an eye opener.  Imagine how much more damage could have been done if the plow truck was driving a lot faster.  The car could have possibly been thrown or pushed up onto the sidewalk and hit the person walking depending on how close the car is in relation to the pedestrian.

Thank you for posting that Tan Top as that reiterates my rationale for operating stuff in a safe manner.  Granted, accidents happen.  However, taking out 11 cars?!?!?!? 
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Troy

Anything important of mine is 50' from the road. However, I parked at the top of the driveway once because I knew I wouldn't have time to shovel before going to work and I had so much junk covering my car that it would have made more sense to shovel. Even cars driving down my road throw slush 10-15' because we have a slight dip in front of the house.

I doubt you'll see a penny for your damages.

I think plow drivers go as quickly as they can - the less snow on the ground the faster they go. The reason is because someone, somewhere will still complain that their roads aren't clear even after road crews have worked 20 hours straight. The plow drivers have no idea what's under the snow or what part of the roadway may come loose as they go by. The whole point of the plow is to "throw" the snow so it is sufficiently far from the road. If you're parked next to it (or standing there) you're going to get hit or buried.

I'd never have kids anywhere near an icy/slushy/snowy road - plows or not. That's one reason why I live in the Midwest - so I'm not squeezed into a tiny lot with no yard, no grass, and nowhere to park.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

451-74Charger

Well, if you do complain, dont be suprised when you get cited for having a cover over your plate.
I know in all the states around Cincinnati, it is illegal to cover your plate, even if it is clear plastic. (just dont ask how i know  :scratchchin: )

Old Moparz

Next time you're at the mall, snag a mannequin before you leave. Have one of your kids help you make a sign, kids love to make signs, & before the next snow storm, prop the mannequin up in the driveway with the sign.

It should slow them down.  :cheers:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

resq302

Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Troy

Visuals...

In the first one you can tell it's picking up less than 1".

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

resq302

Troy, Id like to know how fast they were going.  In the first pic, that is a high curl highway plow which is meant to do just that, throw snow up and over stuff (meant for highway plowing).  The plow trucks around here are just standard plows with the bigger trucks having an added piece to help curl the snow back over in front of it and not off to the side.
Brian

charger490

i have plowed snow and try not to hit mail boxs BUT we always have 1or two compliners that we plow snow into there driveway.i had one guy that had a gun pointed at me when i came down the road so i just pulled farther away from his drive way so he had to shovel more to get out of the driveway.two weeks later we were going by his place agian.we had a good two feet of snow and there were two of of us plowing that night. i told the other driver to hold up two or three min. while i went over on the other side of the road and brought all that snow over on the homeowners driveway and than i told the other plow driver to come down as fast as he could . snow was up to the top of his garage door.LOL :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

oldgold69

years ago at one shopping centers we plow. they used to abandon cars in the lot this a 80s mustang was there all winter we plowed around it a bunch of times one night i was plowing by it and someone must have been rifling through the car.  i went by one time the snow opened the door and filled the interior. next time by the other way i shut the door with the snow  i always wondered what became of that car

472 R/T SE

I think that going a certain speed helps to throw the snow out of the way versus just puttin' along.

That doesn't make it right, just trying to think about it from the driver's point of view.

Steve P.

It sucks that damage was caused by the plow, but I can tell you that there are many reasons for fast plowing. For the guy parked on the side of the road it throws the snow far and broken up. This is much better than the hard packed berm a slow plow leaves you to have to dig out.

Side story: I plowed commercially in Rochester, NY for some years. We plowed for a grocery chain called WEGMANS. One year when the first few warm days of spring hit we got a call from one of the stores managers saying there was a TOYOTA revealing itself in one of our mountains of snow. It was quite high in the snow mountain so we figured our loader driver must have put it there...  :D
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

resq302

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on February 04, 2011, 11:27:49 PM
I think that going a certain speed helps to throw the snow out of the way versus just puttin' along.

That doesn't make it right, just trying to think about it from the driver's point of view.

I agree.  Across the street from my house is a long stretch of 40 acres of woods.  Since there is no chance of damage or injury plowing like that on the opposite side of street, I can see them plowing like that.  Not when there people or property around though.
Brian