News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Transmission Cooler

Started by FLG, February 02, 2011, 03:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLG

Ive had one of these lying around for quite some time

http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page13.html

The non fan version.

Is this adequate to keep my 727 cool?

:2thumbs:

firefighter3931

Quote from: FLG on February 02, 2011, 03:55:08 AM
Ive had one of these lying around for quite some time

http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page13.html

The non fan version.

Is this adequate to keep my 727 cool?

Frank, what size (width) is it ? There are 3 sizes listed 14in/18in/21in

Either of the two bigger ones should be fine, inmo  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

AirborneSilva

Well crap, I just ordered one that is 10" X 16", wish I would have read this first  :brickwall:

green69rt

Since our old cars came with No coolers, I would think anything helps.  Maybe if you are going road racing or some such thing that would require a certain size.  I would use any of them (given they are good quality and don't leak your TF all over the ground.

green69rt

Oh, wait.  I'm also assuming that you are adding this in series with the radiator cooler!  Thinking about it though, since the cooler that sets inside the radiator is pretty small (ever seen one?) and is cooled by hot coolant then almost any external cooler has got to have more capacity.  Just my :Twocents:

AirborneSilva

The person I got my charger from put in an aluminum radiator without a tranny cooler and has some small external cooler on it now, so maybe I will run them both together  :shruggy:

FLG

Quote from: AirborneSilva on February 02, 2011, 12:17:03 PM
The person I got my charger from put in an aluminum radiator without a tranny cooler and has some small external cooler on it now, so maybe I will run them both together  :shruggy:

Some people run both, i think i will as well.

Ron, i have the smaller one (was previously using it as a radiator for my water cooled pc  :rofl: ) so i guess that will stay,

Should i get the larger one or do you have one you recommend?

green69rt

I'm going to throw another 2 cents into this thread just because I can.  Anyone that has any kind of trans cooler can always add more, if you have one for free then add it!  But before thinking about spending $ on an additional cooler think about adding a deep sump transmission pan.  It adds more fluid and they are usually cast aluminum with fins so you get more cooling.  It almost always has a drain plug which is a big plus over the factory pan (no drain plug.)  It's like having a 10 qt oiling system for your engine, better oil, better cooling -- what's not to like.

firefighter3931

Quote from: FLG on February 02, 2011, 06:48:24 PM
Quote from: AirborneSilva on February 02, 2011, 12:17:03 PM

Some people run both, i think i will as well.

Ron, i have the smaller one (was previously using it as a radiator for my water cooled pc  :rofl: ) so i guess that will stay,

Should i get the larger one or do you have one you recommend?

Frank, is there any literature with that cooler ? GVW rating ?

Personally, i prefer the B&M stacked plate design but i run lots of stall so a better cooler is preferred.  :yesnod:

Your setup will be milder so this cooler might be sufficient but i'd feel better knowing more about it.
:Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

FLG

If it matters Ron ill just use a stacked plate cooler. What do you recommend?

And i do have a deep pan (non finned but i really dont think that matters too much), also should i plumb to both radiator and transmission? I figured it would be better as my car might come out even if its cold (as long as theres no salt i dont mind)

I would assume this is fine

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70272/?rtype=10

Where do i mount it? Is a fan required?

firefighter3931

Here's a link to the B&M page....notice how the fluid coolers have ratings. I use the biggest cooler rated at 29,000 GVW.  :yesnod:

http://www.bmracing.com/PRODUCTS/Universal-SuperCoolers

The physical sizing of yours looks similar to the 20,000 GVW B&M unit which would be enough for what you're going to be doing.   ;)

Send perma cool an e-mail and see if you can get a GVW rating on the cooler you have, then decide. I'd hate to see you spend money you didn't have to.  :Twocents:

Mine is mounted in front of the rad, behind the grill. I don't use the radiator to cool the trans....i use the trans cooler as a stand alone unit.  :yesnod:

In the pic you can see the cooler with some brackets i made to mount it on the passenger side.  :scope:

Ron

jlatessa

Firefighter, what's the cannister to the right of your rad. for??

Thanks and sorry for the deviation to this thread.

joe

firefighter3931

Quote from: jlatessa on February 03, 2011, 09:12:01 AM
Firefighter, what's the cannister to the right of your rad. for??

Thanks and sorry for the deviation to this thread.

joe

Joe, the aluminum can is an overflow for the cooling system. Purchased it at Summit Racing.  :2thumbs:

Ron