News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ENGINE COMBO ADVICE

Started by justcruisin, February 01, 2011, 10:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justcruisin

Hi everone
I am doing my first 440 build and have got alot of ideas off the web. Could you all see if i'm on the right path for my build.
Charger, auto, 3.23:1. 440+40 srp pistons, 10.1:1 comp, zero deck, K1 rods, lunati 60304 cam, prw 1.5 roller rockers, edey rpm heads and manifold, 850 mech sec/ or 780VS,(i allready have the 780 but can change it) 1' 7/8 headers, b&m holeshot 2400 converter.
Car will be mostly street use, weekends only.
I want highway gears but I would like to fit a gearvendors and 3.91's as money will allow at a later stage.
Any comments would be apreciated, thanks.

redmist

My exact build for the most part.

I am using the Comp XS282S solid though.

440  .030 over
SRP Flat tops
Zero deck
K1 rods ARP 2000
Studs, studs, and more studs.
EdelbrockRPM OTB heads
RPM Intake
750 DP
1 7/8" Headers.
3.55 gear
Holeshot 2400 (because I already have it.)

Camquest says  540ish HP

I would think you would want some more gear, and some more converter.
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

justcruisin

Thanks for that, I was told the converter behind the 440 should flash around 2800-3000, have you got first hand experience on this?

elacruze

Save the Rod money for gas. Use the stock rods with ARP bolts. On a build this mild, rods are overkill.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

justcruisin

The original rods are 6 pack, ive been told to ditch them.

elacruze

Quote from: justcruisin on February 01, 2011, 10:52:43 PM
The original rods are 6 pack, ive been told to ditch them.

What reason was given? Chrysler didn't engineer them willy-nilly.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

firefighter3931

The 6 pack rods are heavy and only use small 3/8 bolts. By the time you recondition/resize them you're 3/4 of the way towards a new set of h-beams.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

elacruze

Quote from: firefighter3931 on February 01, 2011, 10:59:00 PM
The 6 pack rods are heavy and only use small 3/8 bolts. By the time you recondition/resize them you're 3/4 of the way towards a new set of h-beams.  :yesnod:

Ron

<sigh>

Chinese labor wins again. You're right, of course.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
---

justcruisin

The rods are way heavy and no stronger than the LY rods. The 6 pack rod and pistons I have weigh over 2000 grams. Plus they are 40 years old and will need resizing etc. I want to internally balance the engine also.

firefighter3931

Quote from: elacruze on February 01, 2011, 11:02:47 PM

<sigh>

Chinese labor wins again. You're right, of course.

I got a set of Scat's for $400 on e-bay....machined in the USA  :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: justcruisin on February 01, 2011, 11:05:07 PM
The rods are way heavy and no stronger than the LY rods. The 6 pack rod and pistons I have weigh over 2000 grams. Plus they are 40 years old and will need resizing etc. I want to internally balance the engine also.

Exactly....order them with the .990 pins for a little weight reduction.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

justcruisin

Ok thanks, do you have any comments on the carb choice? The 780VS I have is a quick fuels, so I would have to exchange it for another quick fuels.

BSB67

Quote from: justcruisin on February 01, 2011, 10:09:44 PM
Hi everone
I am doing my first 440 build and have got alot of ideas off the web. Could you all see if i'm on the right path for my build.
Charger, auto, 3.23:1. 440+40 srp pistons, 10.1:1 comp, zero deck, K1 rods, lunati 60304 cam, prw 1.5 roller rockers, edey rpm heads and manifold, 850 mech sec/ or 780VS,(i allready have the 780 but can change it) 1' 7/8 headers, b&m holeshot 2400 converter.
Car will be mostly street use, weekends only.
I want highway gears but I would like to fit a gearvendors and 3.91's as money will allow at a later stage.
Any comments would be apreciated, thanks.

Generally, what you have is fine.
The 850 is fine.
Don't cheese on the rockers and converter. I think a little more stall - Call ATI or Dynamic or other quality converter maker

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

justcruisin

Ok Ill check out the converter a little more, the rockers I am looking at are the stainless version, very similar to the comp ones but they have bushings in them, the C.A.T. and  K.M.J. all look the same, any experience with these?

green69rt

I'm really interested in your engine choices.  Question...you say this is a street engine so I will ask a couple of questions..

What about street idle?  I don't know what the can specs are, but a big cam can have a big lope and a big downside on stoplight idle.  What's the consequences here?

Second - what about vacuum?  Again this relates to street idle and also can effect the brake booster (if you have vacuum assist) and the headlight doors.

Are these issues not a problem or have you decided to live with them or fix them some other way?

I think I also will go with the rollers and the better rods, etc just because I want to increase the reliability of my engine.

justcruisin

I have considered the idle and vacume, and to be honest I have been recomended to go with a smaller cam but its tempting to go with the bigger cam. Not sure on how this will effect my vacume, this is why I have posted to get a experienced opinion. The only thing I have to consider is assisted brakes. The cam I had before was a crane blazer 288, it was a real dog with the low compresion and didn't offer a lot of vacume at idle and the brakes were marginal. I did the sums and the dynamic comp was in the 6:1 range. I am prepaired to fit a vacume tank if nessasary.

justcruisin

Cam specs are 276/284
                     234/242@.050"
                     .513/.533
                     110/106LSA/ICL

firefighter3931

For rocker arms a set of ductile iron adjustables would be fine. With those heads and that cam i'd look at an 850 cfm Holley. A Dynamic 10in street/strip converter would be a good match for that cam and the overall package.  :yesnod:

Ron